SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 12-06-06, 06:15 PM   #11
ujoni08

Default wrists

I would only move them a few millimetres (away from the tank). I'd make sure they didn't touch the fairing at full lock, too. I was just wondering about safety. I don't think aftermarket yokes/bars have this feature (anti-rotation casting blob thingy): it's just Suzuki belt and braces policy. I would loctite the threads to prevent loosening and accidental rotation under braking.
Jon.
Old 12-06-06, 06:28 PM   #12
Quiff Wichard
Mega Poster

but if u move them forward the back will kick out and the scre wont fit!? will it..

i am talkin curvy!.. maybe yours is diffo..
Old 12-06-06, 10:05 PM   #13
didge

another way is to get bar extenders to take the strain off of your wrists..
Old 13-06-06, 09:28 AM   #14
SVeeedy Gonzales

If anyone has particular hassle witht he SV bars as they are there are always people like heli bars out there with add on stuff http://www.helibars.com/proddetail.php?prod=HB2603

1 1/4" taller
1" rearward
1 1/2" wider
Retains stock cables and hydraulic lines.

I'd recommend people try the rotating mod first though! $250 ain't cheap.
Old 13-06-06, 12:08 PM   #15
hutchy

rotating the levers did it for me - but just as inportant make sure your not tightening your wrist straps on your gloves/jacket too much - restricting the blood flow to your hands will give the same problems.
Old 14-06-06, 09:19 PM   #16
ujoni08

Default OK I've done it

I carefully sawed off the aluminium castings, by taking the blade off a hacksaw, rotating the blade attachments through 90 degrees, passing it under the yolk, and re-fitting the blade. Then I very carefully sawed of the castings, watching that I wasn't sawing off clutch cables, etc. On the throttle side, I had to tape up the brake hose and throttle cables to prevent damage. I also taped up the side of the tank to prevent scratches. When I had sawed off the castings, I loosened the clip-ons, and rotated them forwards till they touched the pinch bolts on the yoke. I put some Loctite on the threads, and tightened the clip-on pinch bolts. Took it for a road test. OMG it's so much better! I can't believe I waited for so long to do it. My wrists feel much better, with the weight carried evenly across the palms, and the bike steers so much better, with more leverage on the bars. The bars don't foul the tank or fairing. Pics attached.
Jon.
Old 14-06-06, 10:24 PM   #17
Diveboy

That will give you a lower riding postion so you'll be complaining about having a bad back next

Good mod let me know how you get on. I think moving the leavers will do it for me though. Thanks to everyone for there suggestions.
Old 15-06-06, 06:58 AM   #18
Jon from Bristol

Those Heli Bars look like a good idea. Anyone tried them?

Jon from Bristol
Old 15-06-06, 08:51 AM   #19
fubber

Got Heli Bars fitten to mine, make a big difference in riding position but I was still gettting numb wrists until I fitted gel inserts to my gloves / played around with lever position.
Old 15-06-06, 09:29 AM   #20
speedygirl

bizarrely when I changed from winter to summer gloves the other week when it got hot (I get very cold hands... ) - I got numb little finger (ulnar nerve) on my left hand for the first time - never ever had it in my winter gloves and as only got the bike in Jan that's all I've ridden in. Have heard of similar with cyclists riding long distance too... can't see a HUGE difference in the padding of my gloves but will try gel inserts or failing that rotating the levers...

Glad I'm not the only one with a numb little finger and good to get some tips about what to do