SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 27-06-06, 03:25 PM   #11
goof

Thanks Sid - I specifically asked him about this "should these come with rubber grease and don't I specifically need that" and he said just to use brake fluid
So should OEM Suzuki seals come with the grease?

Edit: also just wanted to confirm the clamps you mention above - do you mean the yoke clamps or axle clamp?
Old 27-06-06, 03:28 PM   #12
northwind
Mega Poster

I suppose you'd say it's not essential... Just a very good idea. Frost's will sell you a tub for about a fiver that'll last you for 5 lifetimes
But we're oh so easily swayed"
northwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-06, 03:40 PM   #13
goof

Confused it with my last bike and thought you might be referring to the lower headstock
Old 27-06-06, 04:10 PM   #14
goof

Hmm, not getting much joy doing that Sid - I don't know if you can see from that pic above but the axle bolt still sticks out around 4mm so that maybe the problem.

Would this just need tightened more? (I think I'd tightenened it to the recommended torque ).
Old 27-06-06, 04:19 PM   #15
TSM
The Sick Man
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by goof
Hmm, not getting much joy doing that Sid - I don't know if you can see from that pic above but the axle bolt still sticks out around 4mm so that maybe the problem.

Would this just need tightened more? (I think I'd tightenened it to the recommended torque ).
One way to check if the fork is bent (without removing them from the bike) is, when front is off the ground loosen the yoke clamp bolts & the lower axle clamp bolts for one of the forks, rotate the top tube slowly and see if the fork leg moves in and out, if not the right leg, try the left after tightening up the yoke clamp bolts. (warning that if you undo the yoke bolts the bike will not have any support if you lower the front down).

Now this is the way i found out mine was damaged, someone may dispute this method, but it worked for me, plus if it is bent and you only want a temp fix then you can find out how much rotation of the top tube will give the correct clearance you need to stop the brakes touching the disk.

Usual care should be taken with tighening all bolts prior to riding the bike and making sure no parts are binding. If you are not clear on any of this then leave it to a garage to do.
GONE: SV650S K2 Very Bruised & Without Fairing, Motovation Frame Sliders, R&G Ally Sprocket Toe Protector, HEL 2 Line Setup, GSXR K1 600 RWU Forks, Barnett Clutch & Springs, Penske 8981 Shock, Gilles Ti Rearsets, Steel Barends, Scottoiler, AFAM Chain & Sprockets, Twin FIAMM Horns, Skidmarx Bellypan, Full Micron Zeta Steel System, Cut down undertay.

Forum Problems & Information / Site Suggestions
TSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-06, 04:23 PM   #16
suzsv650

right i had the same problem but mine happened when i changed my tyre!

what it is is the front spindle... ( i think thats the right name) but the bar that goes through the center of the wheal is out of line what u need to do is undo the wheal and the two bolts on the bottom tap the bar through a little (to the left when sat on the bike) do the wheal bolt up and then the two smaller ones ... thats what they did to mine when it happened to my brakes just a thought lol
Old 27-06-06, 04:24 PM   #17
TSM
The Sick Man
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sid Squid
Wrong.

Use only rubber grease, nothing else and especially not brake fluid, SV brakes need the only slightest provocation to corrode, and brake fluid is the best way you could encourage that.
Which part are you saying will corode? Many peeps dont use rubber grease instead use brake fluid and have no probs with their brakes.
GONE: SV650S K2 Very Bruised & Without Fairing, Motovation Frame Sliders, R&G Ally Sprocket Toe Protector, HEL 2 Line Setup, GSXR K1 600 RWU Forks, Barnett Clutch & Springs, Penske 8981 Shock, Gilles Ti Rearsets, Steel Barends, Scottoiler, AFAM Chain & Sprockets, Twin FIAMM Horns, Skidmarx Bellypan, Full Micron Zeta Steel System, Cut down undertay.

Old 27-06-06, 04:26 PM   #18
TSM
The Sick Man
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzsv650
right i had the same problem but mine happened when i changed my tyre!

what it is is the front spindle... ( i think thats the right name) but the bar that goes through the center of the wheal is out of line what u need to do is undo the wheal and the two bolts on the bottom tap the bar through a little (to the left when sat on the bike) do the wheal bolt up and then the two smaller ones ... thats what they did to mine when it happened to my brakes just a thought lol
Tapping it will make little diffrence as its threaded on the otherside into the fork leg, and all you will be doing is push the other fork sideways. You want to actualy find out if its bent rather than just incorectly fitted, if the fork does not return freely to its location then something is out and possably needs to be recified.

Old 27-06-06, 05:31 PM   #19
TSM
The Sick Man
Mega Poster

Quote:
Don't tap it anywhere, this is really the wrong thing to do
Why quote me on it, i did not say tap it, granted I did not say dont tap it either.

Old 27-06-06, 06:37 PM   #20
TSM
The Sick Man
Mega Poster

Quote:
No, I was agreeing with you. No tapping should be done.
ahh ok.