SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Tyres Post your own reviews, opinions and experiences on this subject.

Old 15-02-07, 10:29 PM   #11
SVeeedy Gonzales

A lot of the time tyre choice is about what the rider feels they're getting more than what they actually get. Most riders will rarely use the full grip of the tyre on the road (or track, for most of us) so the feeling of having the stickiest rubber on makes them feel they've got the best they can have. Most riders only lose grip in slippery conditions or when braking harshly, etc. and most tyres would do the same thing in those conditions. Unless you're riding on track and the bike's going sideways out of turns, you probably don't need the sticky stuff. Doesn't stop people wanting to commute on diablo corsas and the like, though: if they think it's better and makes them a better rider somehow, they'll buy them. Diablo stradas on mine, very similar to the Z6's. Brilliant tyre.
Old 16-02-07, 02:15 AM   #12
monkey

Very wise. Cheers Sveedy. Have made my mind up. Definately the Metz Z6.

Old 16-02-07, 10:33 PM   #13
Tim in Belgium

Got 4 track days out of my Pirelli Diablo Stradas, a trip to the Vosges, one round the Alps and a flog back to the UK. Rear is lamost gone but found them great on track, occassionally the rear would drift a little on a trackday, and they'd snot up nicely, but done great for me really. Need a new rear in about 100 miles (just enough for a shake down run before the MOT!) and will be buying another one of the same to replace it. So reckon got about 5000 miles out the rear with some hard riding, and some crappy autobahn blasting, the rear wear is what is forcing it to be slung out.
Old 17-02-07, 10:21 AM   #14
mattSV
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by teriyakimonkey View Post
MattSV have you done trackdays on yours?
Only the Cadnaaaam GP circuit

No, however personally I would be very happy to use the Z6s on a trackday.

If I was going to be doing 3/4 track days a rear then I would consider putting something stickier on - depends on what your priorities are.

I have only ever spun up the rear when I wanted to, or when I have been a kKnobhead, and the front always feels totally planted, even when attacking roundabouts two up.

As anyone who rides with us down to Poole, or who was on the North/South last rear,has seen I don't exactly hang around.
2013 - 2016 Triumph Explorer 1200
2016 - Ducati Multistrada DVT S
mattSV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-07, 11:21 AM   #15
RobWireless

Default Re: Sports tyres v Sports Touring-Ride guide (August)

Looks like the market has changed - I've been out of it for sometime. What are the characteristics of the Metzler Z6 compared to the Michelin Pilots or the Pirelli Diablo Corsas or Bridgestones BT020s?

The Diablo Corsas run great for dry days although I have Bridgestones BT020s on at the moment which were great British weather all-rounders. Are the Metzler Z6's likely to gain any more confidence in the wet than the Bridgestone BT020s?
Old 20-02-07, 12:05 PM   #16
thor

Default Re: Sports tyres v Sports Touring-Ride guide (August)

I read that article - they had michelin race mediums in it. I've used those on the road. You would have to be insane, or dead, or possibly both to use those all year. They just don't heat up easily and slide everywhere. On a hot track, awesome. Less than 20deg air temp - suicide.