SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 09-10-07, 11:37 PM   #11
Robw#70

Default Re: Gen 1 w/zx6 shock, 05 GSXR forks, notes & question

the 2046 kit is a 2040 kit with rebound rod extenders, nothing more.

im running basically the same setup (without extenders and got ohlins rear)
on a carby you want as much height as possible for ground clearance, you'll struggle to make it unstable.
the rear shock is on max height with shorter links and the forks are flush.
you'll run out of side grip with a 120/60 tyre, basically by going off the edge of it.

12st rider i run
.85 springs 25mm static sag
c34 stack with digressive
110 airgap with us1

handling is nigh on perfect and plenty of mid corner rear grip.

i dont think the extenders will be as effective on the later forks as they have a long topout spring, hence you measurements are similar to std.
oh and loose the steering damper, you'll notice the initial turn in is better and also in the wet.

has he moved the bottom out plunger or just drilled the housing?

The G2r valve is better but a bit harder to setup btw
Old 10-10-07, 12:57 AM   #12
JuicyGuzzi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robw#70 View Post
the 2046 kit is a 2040 kit with rebound rod extenders, nothing more.

im running basically the same setup (without extenders and got ohlins rear)
on a carby you want as much height as possible for ground clearance, you'll struggle to make it unstable.
the rear shock is on max height with shorter links and the forks are flush.
you'll run out of side grip with a 120/60 tyre, basically by going off the edge of it.

12st rider i run
.85 springs 25mm static sag
c34 stack with digressive
110 airgap with us1

handling is nigh on perfect and plenty of mid corner rear grip.

i dont think the extenders will be as effective on the later forks as they have a long topout spring, hence you measurements are similar to std.
oh and loose the steering damper, you'll notice the initial turn in is better and also in the wet.

has he moved the bottom out plunger or just drilled the housing?

The G2r valve is better but a bit harder to setup btw
12st rider? I don't recognize. What means this?

Loose the damper you say. I'll give it a shot, hate to loose my major bling-bling.

He says there was no drilling involved. I don't know enough about the fork guts to answer any more inteligently than that.

On a personal note - RobW: How much do you weigh, and is your sister good looking?

All very interesting. You guys are saving me steps. Thanks for help.

Last edited by JuicyGuzzi; 10-10-07 at 09:49 AM.
Old 10-10-07, 01:00 PM   #13
pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuicyGuzzi View Post
Put an 05 ZX6 Showa shock in and have run some laps. The shock measures 333mm (4 mm shorter than stock shock).
Hmmm, when I put on a 2006 ZX6 shock on my 1stGen, I had the opposite experience, the ZX6 shock was taller, which is confirmed by the details at http://forums.sv650.org/archive/index.php/t-71979.html
Old 10-10-07, 03:00 PM   #14
Biker Biggles
Mega Poster

12 st= 172 pounds
HTH
Old 10-10-07, 09:43 PM   #15
JuicyGuzzi

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilot View Post
Hmmm, when I put on a 2006 ZX6 shock on my 1stGen, I had the opposite experience, the ZX6 shock was taller, which is confirmed by the details at http://forums.sv650.org/archive/index.php/t-71979.html
Hi pilot, yes I have seen that chart and used it. The ZX6 shock that I am using is not listed on that chart. When I bought it at auction it was listed as follows: 05 06 Kawasaki ninja ZX6 ZX6R ZX636 ZX10 rear shock. I'll bet that statement can't be accurate, but maybe it is. The seller measured it for me and it was the right length, research showed it had the same spring rate as the Ohlins SV unit, so I got it.

The length on the ZX6 shock comes from actual measurement and direct comparision side by side with the stock SV shock. I put a bolt through the eyes of both shocks together. At 333 mm the ZX6 shock was 4mm shorter than the SV. I can't account for the difference you mention. All measurements taken with a tape measure in inches and converted, so they possibly are not dead-nuts on, however it was all done with care and the numbers are very close or better. The shock works well for me. I recommend it highly for those who would like to get the bounce out and don't mind relocating their battery. Might be too stiff for some riders.

Last edited by JuicyGuzzi; 10-10-07 at 11:12 PM.