SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 17-08-10, 09:42 AM   #191
Bri w

Default Re: Your thoughts for AR11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richie View Post
Bri that a cracking route :0)
Don't want to give too much away but, as you know, there's a couple of Roman roads that follow the main A routes that are just stunning with long straights and sweeping bends for the hooligans + the stops at some very interesting places.

Currently - Fighting the urge... seen a nice Triumph America

Previously - Honda CB125, Honda CB400-4 & BSA B40, Moto Guzzi 850, Yamaha RD250, Suzuki GT380, Kawasaki Z1B, Kawasaki Z650, Honda VFR, Triumph Street Triple R.
Bri w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-10, 09:56 AM   #192
Dicky Ticker

I take it the proposed campsite would be near Bellingham YH ? for non-campers
Old 17-08-10, 10:10 AM   #193
Dicky Ticker

My opinion is that we still haven't exhausted all the different areas of the UK available to us so I would not be interested in a repetition of a previous area.
Having said that it is all down to people willing to organise and what the majority decide so without these good peeps putting forward ideas and willing to take on the responsibility we go nowhere so lets be positive with any additional ideas that may assist each proposal.
Old 17-08-10, 10:12 AM   #194
Binky
Emily Howard rides an SV
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bri w View Post
Don't want to give too much away but, as you know, there's a couple of Roman roads that follow the main A routes that are just stunning with long straights and sweeping bends for the hooligans + the stops at some very interesting places.
No such thing as hooligans at the AR.

They live in the wild and are frightened of enclosed spaces and large groups.
Old 17-08-10, 10:49 AM   #195
Ed

It's a good point that DT makes about visiting the same areas as in previous years, and naturally it's of direct relevance to me. We were at Montford Bridge 2006 - that's five years ago. But a lot has changed on the org since then: in particular we have many members who weren't on the board at the time, and secondly we all have rather different expectations of the AR now.

The route would NOT be the same as 2006 and nor am I looking to replicate LP's North Wales rides. I'm mindful that we need a route that can accommodate 100+ bikes, so steep mountain roads are no good. It just so happens that Shropshire and the area of Wales I have in mind have lots of open roads that nonetheless present challenges to even the most experienced riders without being intimidating for newer and less experienced riders.

I'm developing a proposal and I will submit it as soon as I can. The good peeps of the BP section are helping, and I will put it to them for stress testing. After all, most of them know the area as well as I do.

What I promise is this. If we're successful then it will be a damn good weekend. But if the org decides on another area, I won't bitch and moan. I will support whatever is selected.

Bring it on
Old 17-08-10, 11:06 AM   #196
dizzyblonde
Da Cake Boss
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed View Post
What I promise is this. If we're successful then it will be a damn good weekend. But if the org decides on another area, I won't bitch and moan. I will support whatever is selected.

Bring it on
+ 1 Ed, and to everything else in your post. Our area hosted it in 07, and as you say members change, different expectations, expectations are exceedingly high, not everyone fancies camping these days for instance.

I'm not looking at routes as a preference, as people keep saying the AR is a social and the ride is an add on these days. That will come later, I have many who have come to my aid in help.

And again, Its a time to show off your area to everyone else, I like going other places, its fun, attended many ARs, not always done the ride, as I'm not keen on large numbers, some moan theres that many bikes they can't hoon about, you can't please everyone.
Yes I can ride my back yard when ever I fancy, but its not about that, its about showing others whats in your back yard thats important.

Hovis 13.8.75-3.10.09 Reeder 20.7.88-21.3.12
dizzyblonde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-10, 11:18 AM   #197
Supervox
No more Mr Nice Guy
Mega Poster

Ok - hands up, who let the GROWN-UPS in ???

But seriously though, whilst I appreciate that there are lots of areas that The Org haven't yet visited, and there maybe many areas that Org-ans would like to visit we come back to the bottom line that 'wishing' to go somewhere for an AR is useless unless people (like Ed & Dizz & poss MBK are currently doing) are prepared to take it on.

Incidentally, I don't believe it's actually written anywhere that you have to live in a particular area to organise an AR there - it obviously makes it easier if they do, but if anyone wants to visit a particular place then step forward, do your homework & research & get a proposal in !
Old 17-08-10, 11:36 AM   #198
Bri w

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dicky Ticker View Post
I take it the proposed campsite would be near Bellingham YH ? for non-campers
My original thought was to base it at Bellingham, hence the route originally started there, but after thinking of the distances people would travel from down south I'm looking at sites near Hexham and Gretna, giving better access to hotels/B&B's. That way the initial journey up would be cut by at least 1 hour, or even 2, and the ride out wouldn't then duplicate the ride up to the AR.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Binky View Post
No such thing as hooligans at the AR.
Does that mean I can't go?

Currently - Fighting the urge... seen a nice Triumph America

Previously - Honda CB125, Honda CB400-4 & BSA B40, Moto Guzzi 850, Yamaha RD250, Suzuki GT380, Kawasaki Z1B, Kawasaki Z650, Honda VFR, Triumph Street Triple R.
Bri w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-10, 11:46 AM   #199
Littlepeahead
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supervox View Post
Regarding the stress, etc of organising an AR - I wouldn't know, I just did the rideoute ie the easy bit !!

However, if we were to use previous venues I believe that there would be a lot less stress & hassle involved as one of the biggest 'problems' would be sorted - that of finding a suitable venue that we know will be ok.

Put it this way, if the AR ever comes back to Essex and Sally wants a break I'd be happy to take it on !!
And if it came to Essex I could help - as long as it's a cricket free weekend!
Old 17-08-10, 12:14 PM   #200
SoulKiss
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlepeahead View Post
And if it came to Essex I could help - as long as it's a cricket free weekend!
Or if the Soho Massive chose to host - could we camp at Lords ???

█╬╬╬╬()i¯i▀▀▀▀▀█Ξ███████████████████████████████)
SoulKiss is offline   Reply With Quote