SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 18-09-09, 11:46 AM   #2111
krhall

Default Re: The running thread!

I ran home from work the other day especially as it was raining.

Hovis is that the costume you are wearing for the half? Looks bloody hot mate.
Old 18-09-09, 12:59 PM   #2112
hovis

Quote:
Originally Posted by krhall View Post

Hovis is that the costume you are wearing for the half? Looks bloody hot mate.
yeah, it is hot, i did a 2½ mile fun run in it in just under 20 mins, which was pretty good, but the padding in the top (haha, you thought that was just me didnt you) makes it too hot, so im swapping it for a blue t-shirt with vilendre logo (the charity im running for) the mask also dropped down at times to cover my eyes a bit

i have a 10k coming up, so im going to try it again with the t-shirt

it will only be my 2nd half marathon, and im pretty new to running, and have been told im mad to do it in fancy dress?

Old 18-09-09, 01:08 PM   #2113
stewie

I must admit I always thought Hovis looked pretty hot too, but thats another story I suspect hardly run in weeks due to constant overtime and not having two mins to myself, and yet bizzarely after not running for nearly 5 weeks I somehow seemed to have knocked my pace down to sub 10 mins for the first time in ages, yay me
Old 18-09-09, 02:22 PM   #2114
krhall

sometimes a rest or enforced time off is just what you need for your muscles to fully repair.

I can't wait for Abingdon to be done so I can cut my mileage back and stop aching and then hopefully get quicker at more reasonable distances. 29 days to go!

Of course the above assumes a sub-4 for me, if not then it will be a few weeks off and a re-thing about my goal.
Old 18-09-09, 05:48 PM   #2115
sarah

s.w.e.a.t.y.
Old 19-09-09, 08:59 AM   #2116
hovis

just done the cardiff 5k

i forgot my watch, so dunno the time, results will be online laters.

i still find it hard to get the pace right, although i did over take 4 on the last 100meters with a sprint finsh
Old 21-09-09, 07:52 AM   #2117
Foey

Quote:
Originally Posted by krhall View Post
Foey - common issue mate, most likely to be a hip flexor problem, I used to suffer with it, but a few gentle stretches before and after a run should sort it.

http://www.exrx.net/Stretches/HipFle...HipFlexor.html

Enjoy!

Superb, looks to be the exact area of discomfort, i'll try it later before going for a gentle run with the mutts.

Just tried it on the floor in the office, could really feel the muscle stretching, just glad i remembered to shut the door first.

Last edited by Foey; 21-09-09 at 11:11 AM.
Old 21-09-09, 10:26 AM   #2118
slloyd

Signed back up at the gym now...and managed another 5km although on the treadmill with an incline of 1.0% my time was slower than last week at 31.49secs. Although, managed to finish w/o feeling like a sack of spuds ready to keel over.

Then, a little free-weights work.
slloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-09, 12:06 PM   #2119
fenjer

Hi folks - I'm all very very new to the running thing... having just started on a 9 week programme to go from "couch to 5k"

Week one has consisted of 60 seconds running/jogging followed by 90 seconds walking for a total of 20 mins...plus a 5 min brisk walk and stretches either side for the warm up and cool down...

The first day was hard, the second day seemed to go much easier, and yesterday went even better... next week I start running for 90 seconds and walking for 2mins for a total of 20 mins...

I'm enjoying it so far, the main objective is to get me out the house, as I no longer have my dog to walk...

Any hints and tips are welcome!

Jen
Old 21-09-09, 12:09 PM   #2120
krhall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foey View Post
Superb, looks to be the exact area of discomfort, i'll try it later before going for a gentle run with the mutts.

Just tried it on the floor in the office, could really feel the muscle stretching, just glad i remembered to shut the door first.
Leave the door open next time mate, they soon get used to it. My lot have!

They also used to have a bit of a snigger when I said I was going for a run, they don't laugh now! Well not as much...