SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 16-05-12, 02:34 PM   #2121
Drew Carey
Not Fizzwheel
Mega Poster

Default Re: The MTB thread

Nick.....for that kind of wonga I would look at the Superstar wheels.....they have a whole raft of rims to choose. They will be lighter than the SAS which I think are probably a little overkill for trails - however, if you intend to mainly do downhill......then stick with the SAS.

However, I can't imagine with your weight you would have any issues with say Superstar Switch on Stans Flow......(they are coping with my weight well on my Hope Hubs.)

http://superstar.tibolts.co.uk/produ...biig8tchnmebq2

bargain at £220 currently.

Hovis RIP Buddy - 13/08/1975 - 03/10/2009
"Feckinnnn Unluckkeeeeeeee"
Drew Carey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-12, 10:15 AM   #2122
AndyBrad

Right folks ive dropped my front wheel off at sparkys today to he can fix the hub. This has got me thinking. Ive seen he build wheels in his spare time.
I was speaking to a chap the other wednesday with a rockhopper and he was telling me that the original wheels were rubbish and hes put some fancy ones on. To be fair his bike was significantly lighter than mine for the same frame.
So looking on the internet and stuff im wondering what constitutes a good wheel? is it just the fact that you can mix and match components? is there a difference having a hand built wheel like Sparkys to having one bought from a shop? and what is the difference all things considered? So far the wheel ive got (touch wood) hasnt snapped in two and because i cant wheelie i tend to just ride it into rocks etc. I can't see a lightweight wheel taking that sort of punishment. Then theres the cost. A set of wheels will be 1/3 of the price of the bike! so thats new bike then
So what do people think?
Old 27-05-12, 12:29 PM   #2123
xXBADGERXx

A good Hand-built wheel will have better tensioning on the spokes than a machine built wheel with particular attention being paid to run-out Laterally and Radially . Uniform tension of the spokes will give you a build that is quite hardy , if there is a weak point then you can be assured that it will apear soon enough . I had a set of Mavics that were always getting little wobbles in them . I took them to one side and spent an afternoon with them , tensioning and checking ... took them out for a blatt and then checked them when I got back and they were fine ... and still are . I also had a hand-built set of Halo Freedoms that were bullet proof but the rear actually cracked inside due to a faulty Rim so I retired it , it never once gave me a problem with trueness or loose spokes . I contacted Ison distribution about the Rim and was told that there was a batch that had an extrusion that wasn`t quite correct , but seeing as they were 7 years old and had been hammered then I was happy that they had lived that long . I could always buy a new rim and spokes/nipples and get it re-built one day .
Old 28-05-12, 11:20 AM   #2124
G
Mega Poster

If anyone is interested I have some 6 month old Mavic XM317Disc Rims on Hope Pro 2 hubs
They are in good condition, no dings or dents on the rims, which are nice and straight. They have the odd scratch and mark on from tyre changes etc.

The front comes with a 15mm and 20mm through axle. The rear comes ready for a maxle. Although adapter to convert to anything are cheap.

I would be looking for £150 for the pair.

Because of the size I would not want to post, I am based near junction 29 of the M1 if any body would like to collect.

Thanks
Old 28-05-12, 11:36 AM   #2125
1210tech

I'm interested although might be a problem picking them up.

What colour are the hubs G?

Can you stick up a few pics or email them to me please: i dot aston at btinternet dot com
Old 28-05-12, 11:51 AM   #2126
G
Mega Poster

The hubs are black too... not sure where special one lives other than that it's near brum

My bike is at the shop being built up at the moment, I'll get some pics when I pick it up in a few days.
Old 28-05-12, 11:57 AM   #2127
1210tech

Ok, thanks

Maybe give them to Dave as you two seem to ride together a lot and I can pick up from his in Solihull unless you are gonna be on an org ride when I'm there too
Old 28-05-12, 03:06 PM   #2128
G
Mega Poster

Sounds like a plan I you're wanting them, I'll get mor photos up.
Old 10-06-12, 09:01 AM   #2129
1210tech

Mountain Mayhem, what's the crack?

Just come across this event on Retrobike and it looks like a right laugh. Anyone on here taken part as an individual or team? I really fancy getting in on it, it's too late for this year but maybe next year?
Old 15-06-12, 11:37 AM   #2130
G
Mega Poster

Wheels went to a friend i ride with as his decided to fall apart in the peaks, sorry about that.

I am selling selling my 6 month old Rockshox Reverb. It is a 2011 one, and 420mm long with 125mm drop. The post is 30.9mm.

I have looked around and bike-discounts.de seem to be the cheapest new at £200. I am looking for £150.
I would prefer collection, I am based near juction 29 of the M1, I also travel to Grimsby and Frimley frequently so can meet on route to either of these locations too.