SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Photos Place your images here. There's also a "U" rating so please respect this.

Old 27-09-16, 06:40 PM   #2131
johnnyrod
Mega Poster

Default Re: Vintage film cameras

Haven't touched it yet, I don't foresee any issues though
johnnyrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-16, 06:45 AM   #2132
Kenzie

Ah, no worries. The guy with the mtl5 messaged me so I told him I might struggle to pick it up until next week.

Sent from my Xperia T
Kenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-16, 01:43 PM   #2133
johnnyrod
Mega Poster

Ah, you found something with a Prakticar lens?

Think I am getting there with the Certo, if it looks like it will be done son then I'd rather finish it than leave it. It sticks part way through the shutter opening, though intermittently, but when it does it's solid. One time I fiddled with the aperture (for some reason) and it released. I think maybe one of the shutter blades is catching inside. I've opened it up again an one has a small bend on the end, need to spend a bit more time to try to work it out. When it sticks, it'd ruin the frame. Timings are all slow so need to bump them up a bit, but if I can figure out the sticking (or not I guess!) then it's basically ready.
Old 28-09-16, 03:40 PM   #2134
Kenzie

Cool, I appreciate all your efforts. Would never have been able to fix it myself.

Sent from my Xperia T
Old 28-09-16, 08:30 PM   #2135
johnnyrod
Mega Poster

No worries, think I am on the vinegar strokes. There is a small kink in one outer end of a shutter leaf which I think has been catching on things. I've done my best to minimise its effects by trying to straighten it, and moving it to the top of the pile. It's jammed a couple of times but is going pretty well since then. Need to adjust the timings and figure out how to collimate it without the stops or reference mark! I have an idea though.

Last edited by johnnyrod; 28-09-16 at 08:30 PM. Reason: durrrr
Old 28-09-16, 10:09 PM   #2136
Kenzie

Found a couple of camera shops on the strip but they are digital not film. Been shooting with my Trip 35.

Sent from my Xperia T
Old 29-09-16, 11:16 AM   #2137
yokohama

I got another film back from processing today. From the XD5 and depressingly, the light leak is still there. It seems to vary in its frequency and intensity but after reskinning the camera and putting more foam in there than the thighpads of my leathers, I have no idea where it's coming from.
Time to seek professional help I think.
yokohama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-16, 01:10 PM   #2138
johnnyrod
Mega Poster

Hmm could be the only way. I got four sets of prints back, all a bit of a let down. Ikonta is focusing long, or I am - I was sure it was fine last time. Certo first half of the roll was good, the second half is fogged out, so need to check it for light leaks. Other two were 35mm, the one form the Konica is basically fine but I totally got some fill flash settings wrong by the look of it, and the parallax correction up close doesn't seem right, will have to see if I can adjust it or at least figure it out, and one frame mid-roll just blanked out. Otherwise nice and sharp, if I can get things framed! I need to find my notes and check, but it looks like for the fill flash I've closed the aperture a couple of stops then either left the shutter speed the same or more likely adjusted it 2 stops - the wrong way. Got a picture of Ana in the garden, looks like night time behind her, but the sun was up!
Old 29-09-16, 08:14 PM   #2139
yokohama

Aye, I'm starting to remember that feeling. All the time composing the photo, choosing settings, thinking it's just right and then being so disillusioned when the film comes back with about 3 passable shots on it. And why things that you think are perfectly in focus end up blurred. Life's mysteries!
yokohama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-16, 08:52 PM   #2140
johnnyrod
Mega Poster

I'm going to talk to Peak Imaging tomorrow, I had a chemical burn on my last 120 as well, and see if the auto corrections have done something funky to the flash pictures. I used the same settings of f8 and 1/250 with and without flash (i.e. metered for ambient), on auto it should have been f4 so I should be getting 1/4 of the flash power. The no-flash ones are fine.

Well, some people say if you get one keeper off a roll then that's normal. I'm generally better than that, at least so far, though I didn't feel terribly inspired lately, maybe that's what come of having too many films on the go at once! I'm disappointed about the B&W from the Certo, I've looked again at the camera and I can't see anything wrong with it. The last few pics, which were lost, were probably the ones I wanted to see the most. Anyhoo I've looked at them all again, the Konica looks good, the parallax correction needs adjustment or understanding below about 1.5m, but it's a good camera and the meter is working well. So worth the 8 months to fix it!