SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Photos Place your images here. There's also a "U" rating so please respect this.

Old 10-11-16, 09:19 PM   #2281
johnnyrod
Mega Poster

Default Re: Vintage film cameras

The Contina you sent is too far gone really, though I am on the lookout for a rear lens element for a Tessar 50mm f2.8. I don't know the focal length off the top of my head. It's for a Contessa LK which I bought to donate the same to an LKE. It's fully functional otherwise so if I can get it usable again then I could sell it on. I checked the focal length of the old and new ones and they were the same, and it worked fine. The Novar is a triplet though, so likely not to be the same. Also reminds me, I was going to take the knackered element to work to check under the microscope, but I think the surface is badly etched all over, it looks foggy and flares a lot with any light.
johnnyrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-16, 09:28 PM   #2282
johnnyrod
Mega Poster

Super cool
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VINTAGE-19...-/322313498030
Old 10-11-16, 09:30 PM   #2283
Kenzie

The £2 Dacora has had fungus etch the rear element. Took it out and cleaned off the fungus but it's marked. It also missing the winder kn-ob. Shutter works great though! Looking forward to the Christmas break so I can get out and shoot.

Sent from the darkroom
Kenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-16, 09:39 PM   #2284
Kenzie

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyrod View Post
Looks cool but I have a couple of 16mm from the boot sale. Film is uber hard to find though.

Sent from the darkroom
Old 12-11-16, 08:40 PM   #2285
johnnyrod
Mega Poster

Looked at the Contessa rear element (group) under a microscope, it's got all kinds of damage. There are long scratches, pits, tiny scratches that look like haze with the naked eye, it's a right mess. Removing these is almost impossible because trying to keep the surface of the lens the same shape is near impossible. I guess I bought it as a donor but it seems bad to have it not working just for one thing. I did shoot one film in the other Contessa with this lens and it was bad, so it's not usable. I guess it's a bit like cars these days, you still hear people saying they'll buy one and "run it into the ground" but it's more like death by a thousand cuts rather than a showstopping bang.

I figured out an easier way to sell stuff on ebay overseas - the Global Shipping Programme. Apparently you have to opt in for it - takes some finding in your settings, but then in a listing you just tick a box and enter the weight/select the weight range and it does the rest. When someone overseas buys something, you post it to the GSP centre in the UK with a ref number on the label, they do the rest, so typically £2.80, which is paid by the buyer anyway. It does cost them a bit more than normal post but convenience costs! And you can add alternative services if you can be bothered.
Old 12-11-16, 09:24 PM   #2286
johnnyrod
Mega Poster

Check this
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/7-FILMS-FO...-/262707445775
Old 12-11-16, 09:38 PM   #2287
Kenzie

Is the Contessa the one you bought from the States? Lost track of the Zeiss cameras you have! I had to take the top off the Konica L to re-glue the viewfinder frame and the meter window. Gave it a good clean and all seems well.

Sent from the darkroom
Old 12-11-16, 10:17 PM   #2288
johnnyrod
Mega Poster

Hahaaaaaa that was a Contessa, but I'm talking about an LK (donor) and LKE (recipient) which are rigid, similar to the Tenax, Symbolica etc. I bought a Contessamat SBE first, then bought the Contessa LKE as it had a case and was cheaper than buying just a case, found it was just fine but had a duff rear lens, so picked up the LK (non-rangefinder) to swap that out, it was spares and repair anyway. The LK is fine though, meter works etc. so it could be a donor again for other bits. It's the same as the LKE except the E means entfernungsmesser which is Germand for rangefinder (literally far away measuring). I was looking at it the other night, snaps away, slowest speed of 1/15 works fine without sticking, I even have the original receipt for it!
Old 12-11-16, 10:35 PM   #2289
Kenzie

You are a bit like me, I hate breaking a camera if there isn't much wrong. Seems a shame but needs must sometimes.

Sent from the darkroom
Old 14-11-16, 09:56 PM   #2290
Kenzie

I got the second Contina IIa repair jobby through today. I have swapped over the lenses and just need to collimate the usable one. I wanted to investigate why the second one wouldn't co-ck the shutter and having pulled its face off it seems that the wind lever is not connected to the rack which sets the shutter. Can't figure out how to get the top plate off. Its a shame as the meter works, and the general condition is pretty good, but I have swapped out the lenses. Fancy another Zeiss?