SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 04-04-15, 10:14 PM   #2501
chris8886
Mega Poster

Default Re: The MTB thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7755matt View Post
How about http://www.decathlon.co.uk/rockrider...d_8213074.html

Everything I've seen says decathlon are pretty good. I had a hardtail of theirs and it was very good for the price

thanks for that, that looks to be about perfect, anyone else got anything they would suggest though for comparisons sake?
Daytona 675: Arrow can (with a baffle that's gone missing in action....), quickshifter, shorty levers, custom paintjob
chris8886 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-15, 06:12 AM   #2502
maviczap
Mega Poster

Cant find anything to match that Decathlon, although you might find that its that price because its an XL, all the other sizes are out of stock.

Any reason why you want full sus? It just adds weight and complexity if you're just riding on the road and gravel tracks.

You could get a decent hard tail and get a suspension seat post.

Found this Boardman on Bike Radar, not new but well specced.

http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/view...089&t=13021423
maviczap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-15, 07:42 AM   #2503
7755matt

There are large available in Coventry and Surrey Quays (and other stores) - and I guess they'll come back into all the stores soon.

There's also this http://www.evanscycles.com/products/...-bike-ec073025
It's £1000 but they do a part-ex - so take the knackered one in and they'll give you £75-100 off. It's close t your budget and bran new so has warranty etc.
7755matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-15, 04:09 PM   #2504
chris8886
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by maviczap View Post
Cant find anything to match that Decathlon, although you might find that its that price because its an XL, all the other sizes are out of stock.

Any reason why you want full sus? It just adds weight and complexity if you're just riding on the road and gravel tracks.

You could get a decent hard tail and get a suspension seat post.

Found this Boardman on Bike Radar, not new but well specced.

http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/view...089&t=13021423
i prefer the ride and feel of a full sus, despite the fact that the majority of my riding is done on the road i had no idea you got suspension seat posts these days!! that does sound quite interesting.

i've tried to view that boardman through the link but i can't because i'm not a member of the forum :@

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7755matt View Post
There are large available in Coventry and Surrey Quays (and other stores) - and I guess they'll come back into all the stores soon.

There's also this http://www.evanscycles.com/products/...-bike-ec073025
It's £1000 but they do a part-ex - so take the knackered one in and they'll give you £75-100 off. It's close t your budget and bran new so has warranty etc.
i very much like the sound of this one and with the potential part ex you talk of does sound promising and pretty much brings that one within budget. now just to find an evans that is fairly local to me! lol. do you know if they'll take an old bike with a snapped frame and still give me that much in part ex for it? as that is what my current bike has!
Daytona 675: Arrow can (with a baffle that's gone missing in action....), quickshifter, shorty levers, custom paintjob
Old 05-04-15, 04:53 PM   #2505
Littlepeahead
Mega Poster

Default The MTB thread

£800 to ride the 2 minutes to the station and back, you must be bonkers. My bike cost £95 and it's got a basket and a bell and a comfy seat. Goes just as well as one costing nearly a grand on a flat bit of road for half a mile

Don't forget to factor in the cost of insurance too Chris. If you are leaving it at the station all day you'll definitely need some. It will be about £75 a year for your postcode.

Last edited by Littlepeahead; 05-04-15 at 04:58 PM.
Littlepeahead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-15, 08:10 PM   #2506
maviczap
Mega Poster

Chris
Here's the spec & its just been reduced to £650

Boardman Pro FS in Large (19”). Two years old and great condition. Has a few scuffs as you’d expect for a used mountain bike but everything is in perfect working order and it has been regularly cleaned and serviced. It’s a great bike, light and climbs really well, good fun on the downs and sails through the twisty bits too.

- 125mm travel frame with bolt-through rear axle.

- RockShox Monarch RT rear shock – externally adjustable rebound, gate and sag gradients for easy setup.

- RockShox Revelation RLT forks – 130mm travel, externally adjustable rebound, compression and lockout, 15mm bolt-through axle.

- SRAM 2x10 X9 gearing with FSA Comet BB30 27/42 cranks, Shimano M530 SPD pedals

- Avid Elixir CR brakes

- Mavic XM319 wheels with Continental Mountain King 2.2” tyres

- Nukeproof Warhead 70mm stem

- Easton Haven carbon 720mm bars with lock-on grips

- Fizik Gobi XM seat on Boardman carbon seatpost

maviczap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-15, 09:29 PM   #2507
chris8886
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlepeahead View Post
£800 to ride the 2 minutes to the station and back, you must be bonkers. My bike cost £95 and it's got a basket and a bell and a comfy seat. Goes just as well as one costing nearly a grand on a flat bit of road for half a mile

Don't forget to factor in the cost of insurance too Chris. If you are leaving it at the station all day you'll definitely need some. It will be about £75 a year for your postcode.
i do, do other stuff on it, and i want it to be able to do off road stuff well when i do do it. inusrance?! for a push bike?! in any case i have a big ar5e d-lock for that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maviczap View Post
Chris
Here's the spec & its just been reduced to £650

Boardman Pro FS in Large (19”). Two years old and great condition. Has a few scuffs as you’d expect for a used mountain bike but everything is in perfect working order and it has been regularly cleaned and serviced. It’s a great bike, light and climbs really well, good fun on the downs and sails through the twisty bits too.

- 125mm travel frame with bolt-through rear axle.

- RockShox Monarch RT rear shock – externally adjustable rebound, gate and sag gradients for easy setup.

- RockShox Revelation RLT forks – 130mm travel, externally adjustable rebound, compression and lockout, 15mm bolt-through axle.

- SRAM 2x10 X9 gearing with FSA Comet BB30 27/42 cranks, Shimano M530 SPD pedals

- Avid Elixir CR brakes

- Mavic XM319 wheels with Continental Mountain King 2.2” tyres

- Nukeproof Warhead 70mm stem

- Easton Haven carbon 720mm bars with lock-on grips

- Fizik Gobi XM seat on Boardman carbon seatpost

now that is more my price range that!
Old 05-04-15, 09:44 PM   #2508
pookie

I dont think a d lock will keep a nice bike at the train station. Unfortunately the scrotes seem to take or smash anything left hanging around ( wheels, pedals bars and shifters. etc)
Now - 2010 Triton blue sv650s -Back to the future
pookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-15, 04:24 PM   #2509
Littlepeahead
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by pookie View Post
I dont think a d lock will keep a nice bike at the train station. Unfortunately the scrotes seem to take or smash anything left hanging around ( wheels, pedals bars and shifters. etc)
Might make more sense to buy something cheap for that quick pedal to the station. Especially as sometimes it'll be there late in the evening. After all when both your parents have had bikes stolen from that spot more than once you know it's likely to happen again. As for insurance, it's not covered on your home insurance so surely you'd want some cover?
Old 20-10-15, 04:49 PM   #2510
chris8886
Mega Poster

the Carrera that I bought is no more (one of the swingarms snapped!!). so I'm looking to buy something that's a bit newer (and I've got a really old cheap crappy bike for going to the station on now that no one is going to steal!). I've found a Landrover (I know mad, the car company now seem to make mountain bikes too!) on gumtree, it's less than a year old and is nicely in my price bracket at £450.

my question is, has anyone ever ridden one of these before and does anyone have any opinions on them/reasons I should steer well clear of them? is it worth my going to see it?