SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 08-05-21, 10:37 AM   #2571
Dave20046
Mega Poster

Default Re: The All New Megathread

Forum suggestion: Can we remove 4rse from the swear filter? I feel it's discriminatory against the Yorkshire lexicon.
I agree when appending 'hole' to the glorious word it transforms it into a vulgar insult, so that one should remain filtered. But I'm finding the filtering of **** a bit of a pain in the **** because it looks like I'm saying **** when I'm in fact saying ****.
Old 08-05-21, 02:00 PM   #2572
garynortheast
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave20046 View Post
Forum suggestion: Can we remove 4rse from the swear filter? I feel it's discriminatory against the Yorkshire lexicon.
I agree when appending 'hole' to the glorious word it transforms it into a vulgar insult, so that one should remain filtered. But I'm finding the filtering of **** a bit of a pain in the **** because it looks like I'm saying **** when I'm in fact saying ****.
You could use the Welsh version Dave, which is twll dyn
garynortheast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-21, 02:38 PM   #2573
Dave20046
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by garynortheast View Post
You could use the Welsh version Dave, which is twll dyn
hmm I leapt to add that to my vocab, but had a cautionary google to check it didn't mean "I'm an English pillock" - Dr Google seems to think it means '4rsehole' .When I say **** I mean it either as mule/bum I just don't pronounce it 'ass' because that sounds weird round these parts.
Like "I can't be assed" , would "I can't be twll dyn'd" translate or would it mean I can't be holed?
Old 08-05-21, 04:36 PM   #2574
garynortheast
Mega Poster

Quote:
hmm I leapt to add that to my vocab, but had a cautionary google to check it didn't mean "I'm an English pillock" - Dr Google seems to think it means '4rsehole'
Ha ha! I promise not to send you off down any of those potentially embarrassing routes.

Quote:
When I say **** I mean it either as mule/bum I just don't pronounce it 'ass' because that sounds weird round these parts.
Like "I can't be assed" , would "I can't be twll dyn'd" translate or would it mean I can't be holed?
The literal translation is "man hole", so no it probably wouldn't work the way you want it to.

I'l ask a couple of friends if there is a iath Cymraeg/Welsh language equivalent.

Mike (Luckypants) might know.....
Old 09-05-21, 10:13 AM   #2575
Dave20046
Mega Poster

Quote:
Ha ha! I promise not to send you off down any of those potentially embarrassing routes.

The literal translation is "man hole", so no it probably wouldn't work the way you want it to.

I'l ask a couple of friends if there is a iath Cymraeg/Welsh language equivalent.

Mike (Luckypants) might know.....

Haha manhole was not quite what I was looking for. However I will be using that phrase whenever I'm inspecting water drainage/pipes in the future. I'm more just wanting to freely say ass in my native pronounciation - 'ass' is too american & unnatural sounding...if I have to use Welsh instead so be it

I keep looking at the running thread but don't want to sidetrack it with my drivel ...do you enjoy running Gary? And did you ever not?
I want to like running, it's a very quick and accessible exercise and a good way to get out but I just seem to hate every second of it. At one point last year I was running every other day for about 6 months, it got easier very quickly but never less loathesome
Old 09-05-21, 12:56 PM   #2576
garynortheast
Mega Poster

I do enjoy running Dave. It's about a mental attitude and a particular mindset I find though. Certain parts of the run are really hard and can be almost painful in a way but overall I do enjoy it, and the sense of achievement and the end is great.

A few things that may make it more enjoyable for you.

1. Don't treat every run as a race or competitive event. Save that attitude for races and competitive events!

2. Find people to run with, but be prepared to drop them and find other running companions if they get competitive or too stoked on testosterone. It's gets wearing running with folks who feel they need to prove how much better they are than you. A lot of the people I run with are women from my local canicross group, and in my experience there is a lot less of the testosterone type competitiveness with women.

3. Get off the tarmac, out into the countryside, and onto some nice trails with good scenery. Firstly you will save your knees and ankles from taking such a hammering, and secondly, it's much more interesting running varied trails and footpaths. Feels more like an outing, and a bit of an adventure than pounding the streets.

4. Don't feel you have to keep moving. If the view is good, stop, get your breath, take a picture. If a hill gets too much, walk/jog. There's no shame in that, and you don't need to prove anything to anyone.

5. Lastly, get a dog and run canicross style. If you are not sure approach your local canicross group and borrow kit and a dog and go for a run with the group. There's always someone in the group who will loan you kit and a dog!
Old 09-05-21, 01:22 PM   #2577
garynortheast
Mega Poster

Just a bit more on Point 1. Divide your running up. Around 80% should be at a pace at which you can hold a normal conversation. Of the remaining 20%, ⅔ should be at a pace where you can say a few words at a time, and the last ⅓ should be your maximum pace/effort.

I learned early on that my overall pace improved not by trying to run as fast as possible all the time, but by doing longer distances. If you are constantly outside of your running comfort zone, you definitely won't enjoy your running. Slow down to a pace at which you are comfortable and enjoy it. It's amazing how far it's possible to run at the right pace.
Old 09-05-21, 07:23 PM   #2578
Dave20046
Mega Poster

Quote:
Just a bit more on Point 1. Divide your running up. Around 80% should be at a pace at which you can hold a normal conversation. Of the remaining 20%, ⅔ should be at a pace where you can say a few words at a time, and the last ⅓ should be your maximum pace/effort.

I learned early on that my overall pace improved not by trying to run as fast as possible all the time, but by doing longer distances. If you are constantly outside of your running comfort zone, you definitely won't enjoy your running. Slow down to a pace at which you are comfortable and enjoy it. It's amazing how far it's possible to run at the right pace.
Cheers Gary, all helpful. I'm going to give it another shot I think. Have heard a lot of people have had success with the topato to 10k apps, might help me keep sensible pace.
Old 09-05-21, 07:24 PM   #2579
Dave20046
Mega Poster

Although slightly dubious of point 4, I found if I stop running for whatever reason I'd rather lay in the traffic than start again - but perhaps when I'm a 'runner' , who likes running I'll master that.
Old 09-05-21, 08:01 PM   #2580
garynortheast
Mega Poster

Quote:
Although slightly dubious of point 4, I found if I stop running for whatever reason I'd rather lay in the traffic than start again - but perhaps when I'm a 'runner' , who likes running I'll master that.
The answer to that one has to be, don't run where there is traffic. Get your trail shoes on and get out on the tracks and trails!