SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 23-05-21, 06:40 AM   #251
Seeker
Mega Poster

Default Re: Electric Vehicles

Quote:
Originally Posted by svenrico View Post
Isn't a big part of motorcycling the character of the engine of the bike you are riding ?! I just don't see much character in an electric motor.
I wear earplugs so the "character" doesn't intrude! For me, it's the acceleration and the quieter the bike, the more effortless the acceleration seems so a faint hum from a motor would be perfect. I'd miss changing gear but I'd get over it.
Old 23-05-21, 09:29 AM   #252
Bibio
Mega Poster

Quote:
Isn't a big part of motorcycling the character of the engine of the bike you are riding ?! I just don't see much character in an electric motor.
nope.. for me my bike is a tool. its takes me places quicker and easier than a car and its fun. i like the idea of a silent smooth motorcycle.

when you go out for 300+ miles in a day runs the sound of loud exhausts just starts to pizz you off.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-21, 05:34 PM   #253
Ruffy

Quote:
If by "character" you mean feel rather than noise, then that character could be programmed in to the drive system - drive electronics can be made to give pretty much whichever torque curve you want to have (within the motor's overall core capability).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeker View Post
... I'd miss changing gear but I'd get over it.
Also, there's no absolute necessity to do away with a mechanical gearbox (drivetrain efficiency loss notwithstanding). It could be engineered to cope with a different primary input speed range.

There's already talk of artificial sound being incorporated, for safety of other road users (who expect to hear vehicles) as well as retaining driver-desired 'character'.

These may be the sort of marketing developments that become more commonplace in the future?

Last edited by Ruffy; 23-05-21 at 05:37 PM. Reason: re-arranged some text
Ruffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-21, 09:40 PM   #254
svenrico

Well , there is more than just the sound that gives a motorcycle engine character. Different types of engine, triples, V twins, 4 cylinder etc , all have different characters. I thought all motorcyclists understood that !
svenrico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-21, 07:42 AM   #255
daktulos

Quote:
Well , there is more than just the sound that gives a motorcycle engine character. Different types of engine, triples, V twins, 4 cylinder etc , all have different characters. I thought all motorcyclists understood that !
Electric bikes have their own character, too. I know people have preferences, but I've never met someone who said "I only ride twins, I'd never ride a triple as I don't like its character".
daktulos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-21, 08:12 AM   #256
SV650rules
Mega Poster

Quote:
Everything is gonna become boring and vanilla, bikes will be like kitchen appliances ( I know some people prefer one make of microwave oven to another, but they all look and sound the same ) the only difference will be the tank badge ---- and if the fraudsters at Apple are an example then the bike software will get regular updates ( whether you want them or not ) and each one will slow the bike down. Every time you pass a speed sign the bike will automatically go to set speed and won't go any faster until you pass a higher one, and it that one is obscured by moss and bushes like the one by us - well you will do 30 all day.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

Last edited by SV650rules; 25-05-21 at 08:14 AM.
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-21, 11:59 AM   #257
svenrico

Quote:
Originally Posted by daktulos View Post
Electric bikes have their own character, too. I know people have preferences, but I've never met someone who said "I only ride twins, I'd never ride a triple as I don't like its character".
I didn't say that a rider only rides a bike with one particular type of engine! I've ridden singles, twins, triples, 4 cylinder as a lot of people will have.
What is happening though is that the only choice will be an electric motor.

Last edited by svenrico; 25-05-21 at 12:00 PM.
svenrico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-21, 09:58 PM   #258
Dave20046
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by daktulos View Post
To be honest, I might be that person but appreciate I'm a strange minority. (Not triples, but IL4's), I stick with twins though, ideally V format.

That said, I've heard good things about electric bikes! From a selfish 'fun' point of view over 'survival of the human race' I hope it doesn;t go the way SV650rules says - we're nearly there though with the AI cars and the blackboxes teenagers have in the i.c.e cars

Last edited by Dave20046; 25-05-21 at 10:01 PM.
Dave20046 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-21, 07:15 AM   #259
Seeker
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave20046 View Post
I'm a strange minority
Old 26-05-21, 10:03 AM   #260
Bibio
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV650rules View Post
Every time you pass a speed sign the bike will automatically go to set speed and won't go any faster until you pass a higher one, and it that one is obscured by moss and bushes like the one by us - well you will do 30 all day.
i like the idea of automatically restricting speed in cities, towns and villages. oohh and the speed wont be set by signs it will be via GPS. my car already has a button to restrict the speed and has settings for 20, 30, etc.etc. do i use it? only in big cities where they keep changing the goal posts. having said that i think i might be getting a nip through the door as i passed a scamera van at 35 in Edin as it was on a hill and the speed restrictor dont work too well on hills.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote