SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Photos Place your images here. There's also a "U" rating so please respect this.

Old 06-03-11, 08:15 PM   #251
Filipe M.

Default Re: Photo Comp - Chat Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by TC3 View Post
My entry this month was taken with D90 and 18-105 with a cheap Sigma Achromatic close up filter I got on eBay for cheap. I use a step down ring which allows me to use the 52mm filter thread on my 67mm filter thread the Nikon lens has. While no where near the quality a decent macro lens would give it still allows some form of close up photography. I just got a pretty powerful close up filter called Raynox dcr250 but yet to really give it go.
Oh yes, I had forgotten about the Raynox. Those are supposed to be pretty damn good, but you're still limited to the quality of the lens you mount them on, plus the added glass. At least with the Raynox you know you're not using complete crap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TC3
You are better off switching focus to manual and zooming all the way to telephoto end if using a zoom kit lens. Then move to and fro the subject slowly. You may want to put camera in continuous shooting mode while you move slightly to change focus. Takes practice but I rarely find bugs that stay still while I move a tripod about. However there are some bugs as well as many other subjects such as flowers that a tripod will be useful.
If you are going the non-tripod way you might want to try setting your camera to the so-called "trap focus", which will allow you to keep the shutter release pressed while moving back and forth, and the camera will only fire when it "sees" something in focus under the selected focus point.
The way to do it on the D90 is as follows (noob enabled instructions, please don't feel like I'm trying to teach the more experienced members how to suck eggs):

1- Make sure your lens is set to A or A/M mode, and camera switch near lens mount to AF;
2- Set the AF mode to AF-S (press AF button - on the top panel, near the right strap lug - and rotate the rear command dial);
3- Set Custom Option a1 to Single Point;
4- Set Custom Option f4 to "AF-ON" (quick way to get there is by pressing INFO on the back of the camera twice, then move to the rightmost button and press OK to enter the f4 menu).

By doing this, you're activating autofocus (step 1) and setting the camera to operate under "focus priority" mode (step 2)*, which will only allow the camera to fire when whatever is under the active focus sensor is in focus (as opposed to "shutter priority", which will always allow a picture to be taken, independent of correct focus). Step 3 makes sure the camera is not choosing the focus area for you, and finally step 4 will decouple the autofocus activation from the shutter release, by moving the autofocus initiation to the AE-L/AF-L button on the back of the camera near the viewfinder.

What this now means is you can focus with your thumb, release it (effectively locking focus) and then press the shutter while you rock very slowly back and forth, and the camera will only fire when it detects stuff in focus under your focus sensor.

*higher end cameras like the D300 and upwards allow you to set shutter of focus priority independently of AF-S or AF-C; the D90 doesn't, so this is the way to do it.
Old 06-03-11, 08:52 PM   #252
TC3

Filipe thats a very good tip about the focus trap for the D90 which i failed to mention

After ignoring my D90 for several months while i played with the new Canon compact i could not remember half of the functions when i picked up the D90 again today.....
Old 06-03-11, 09:09 PM   #253
Filipe M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TC3 View Post
Filipe thats a very good tip about the focus trap for the D90 which i failed to mention

After ignoring my D90 for several months while i played with the new Canon compact i could not remember half of the functions when i picked up the D90 again today.....
Yeh I know that feeling... been out shooting again yesterday after a long hiatus and felt like I was struggling with my brains to remember how to do stuff.
Old 06-03-11, 09:14 PM   #254
Bluefish

Ok thanks for the info will try out the focus trap in a mo, bought some cheap nd filters and some of those diopter macro lenses today, so will try them out later this week hopefully. edit, although i did figure out it was better to use manual focus, as you could get a bit closer, right trying focus trap now.

Last edited by Bluefish; 06-03-11 at 09:16 PM.
Old 06-03-11, 09:53 PM   #255
Bluefish

well tried it, seems a bit hit and miss, guess you have to move quite slowly, ah, you have to take your finger off the shutter button sometimes , so yeah it works
Old 08-03-11, 10:26 PM   #256
Bluefish

macro lenses came today, first impressions, you can focus a hell of a lot closer, so hopefully will be able to get some half decent pics, although that last pic by 1210tech i think is very good, bummer lol.
Old 09-03-11, 12:09 AM   #257
Bri w

I've got the Tamron 70-300 but not that impressed with the macro aspect.

Currently - Fighting the urge... seen a nice Triumph America

Previously - Honda CB125, Honda CB400-4 & BSA B40, Moto Guzzi 850, Yamaha RD250, Suzuki GT380, Kawasaki Z1B, Kawasaki Z650, Honda VFR, Triumph Street Triple R.
Bri w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-11, 12:23 AM   #258
Filipe M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluefishman View Post
well tried it, seems a bit hit and miss, guess you have to move quite slowly, ah, you have to take your finger off the shutter button sometimes , so yeah it works
Using trap focus for macro stuff only works if you have a fast enough shutter speed (or flash) to freeze your own movement, otherwise you're blurring the picture by doing the exact opposite of what everybody teaches you to do (hold still!). To me there's still nothing like setting up a tripod and shooting a macro the proper way (remote control, mirror lock-up or shutter delay, blablablagh), but trap focus will work when you can't (be arsed to...) do it properly.
Old 20-03-11, 03:33 PM   #259
Brettus

The thing I really like about macro photography is the portrayal of texture. sometimes shown in normal pics but most macro stuff shows it off really well. gonna be a tough decision for my vote this month I think!
K6 SV650S Sport: GSXR 1000 front end, Penske shock, F.Fabbri DB clear screen, colour matched hugger, Corbin riders seat, Evotech tail tidy, Akrapovic full system, Twin 55w HID lights, Givi rack and..... the biggest top box known to man
Quote:
"Well I've met God and he had nothing to say to me"
Brettus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-11, 02:31 PM   #260
Geodude
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluefishman View Post
After mutch deliberating, and lots of macro pics taken lately, here is my entry.
Bottom cropped, taken with cannon 710is at a distance of about 2 inches.
Nice bfm its got things living on it eeew

Electrical fault finding guide and Regulator rectifier test

Only a biker knows why a dog sticks his head out of a car window.
Geodude is offline   Reply With Quote