SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 31-12-09, 03:30 PM   #2651
stewie

Default Re: The running thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarah View Post
the year isn't over yet! what's your target for next year? i'm going for 1000 miles.
Me too, hoping to start tomorrrow, good luck with it
Old 31-12-09, 03:40 PM   #2652
krhall

Stew - I know running is boring, but surely there is a less painful way of making it more interesting!
Old 31-12-09, 04:02 PM   #2653
stewie

Quote:
Originally Posted by krhall View Post
Stew - I know running is boring, but surely there is a less painful way of making it more interesting!
cheers, bound to happen one of these days I guess
Old 31-12-09, 05:16 PM   #2654
Ed

We've been sledging in the hills at Church Stretton - lots of snow there, the workout is in climbing the hill again!!! No ski lifts in Shropshire!!! We were on Hope Bowdler Hill, it's really steep and you go very very fast There are no trees and no fences and it flattens out towards the bottom, so ideal for a sledge. Will go back tomorrow, it was such fun
Old 31-12-09, 05:53 PM   #2655
Stig

Not been running since I left work. Santa has given me a pair of new trainers. So will be back to it as soon as I am back at work. It's going to be a nightmare run. Way too much eaten, not enough drunk though and no exercise completed what so ever. Looking forward to getting back at it though.
Old 01-01-10, 05:42 PM   #2656
Ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stig_Of_The_Dump View Post
Not been running since I left work. Santa has given me a pair of new trainers. So will be back to it as soon as I am back at work. It's going to be a nightmare run. Way too much eaten, not enough drunk though and no exercise completed what so ever. Looking forward to getting back at it though.
Got any timescales Si? Once I got bacjk into it I was pleased to discover that fitness hadn't totally flown out the window, I guess you'll find the same.

No run today, been sledging again, it was terrific fun and of course I got a very wet bum, the run must be several hundred metres and I'm guessing that starting from the top you get to about 20 - 25mph, but how many times did I climb back up that darn hill
Old 01-01-10, 08:00 PM   #2657
Stig

No timescales at all. I plan on doing three or four short runs during the week at work. 3-4 miles and each weekend to do a longer distance. Minimum of 10 miles. I aim to first get my lungs back to working properly and then build up on the stamina and speed. I'll time my runs but won't be purposefully looking for any particular time to beat. The times will be what ever they are. Ultimate aim is 800 miles for the year. Target last year was 600 and the only reason I did not achieve that was because of knees, feet and knackered trainers. I was around 16 miles short.
Old 01-01-10, 08:23 PM   #2658
stewie

Check out www.runnersworld.co.uk or www.fetcheveryone.co.uk runners world has a good forum and loads of advice fetch has a useful training log facilty and loads of info etc, good luck with it.
I got 3 miles in today, not a staggering amount, just 997 more to go for this year
Old 01-01-10, 08:51 PM   #2659
sarah

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynw View Post

Im pretty much going by time exercising right now in that Im alternating running/walking spread over about 20 mins. Would it be better to get up to being able to run that 20 mins before extending the time or extend the time as I run longer sections? How much should I look at increasing by in terms of time/distance? and how long at that level before I look at increasing that?

I would like to be able to run a 5k at least by the mid point of this year - anyone any useful websites with training programs or suggestions?
i started off with run 1 minute, walk 1 minute (or something along those lines) around the block (about 1.5 miles) and then started increasing the running and decreasing the walking until i could run the whole way. and then i started running further (with the odd walking break).

you should be able to do 10k by the middle of the year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stewie View Post
Check out www.runnersworld.co.uk or www.fetcheveryone.co.uk runners world has a good forum and loads of advice fetch has a useful training log facilty and loads of info etc, good luck with it.
fetcheveryone is great, it's a bit like the .org for runners but with loads of more functions.
Old 02-01-10, 10:00 AM   #2660
sarah

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynw View Post

I would like to be able to run a 5k at least by the mid point of this year - anyone any useful websites with training programs or suggestions?
http://www.halhigdon.com/#5-k has loads of training schedules for all abilities and distances. I'm following the novice marathon one at the moment. Going out for my first ever 15miler in a bit