SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 15-11-12, 11:00 AM   #2651
maviczap
Mega Poster

Default Re: The Cycling Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckypants View Post
There is a lot of truth in the ride slower to go faster, basically training your muscles to metabolise more fat. .
I don't seem to have any to metabolise after my Alps trip

Only in 1995 did i go too deeply,and at the end of the season where I'd lost so much weight I looked like skeletor

Last edited by maviczap; 15-11-12 at 11:24 AM.
maviczap is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-12, 09:26 PM   #2652
maviczap
Mega Poster

So I won't need to take my passport to see it in 2014

http://www.letour.fr/le-tour/2013/us...t-a-stage.html

But its going to be Uber busy on the interesting bits
Old 05-01-13, 09:00 AM   #2653
EssexDave

What a lovely few days it's been for cycling!
So far done just under 100 miles in the last three days and about to pop out with Dipper for some more cycling fun.

Getting a new road bike in a week or two and thinking of the Felt F85 - anyone have any experience of it? I was looking at Allez sport - but Felt has Tiagra rather than Sora which (as tiagra is now 10spd) means I can use my American Classic wheels on it
Old 05-01-13, 09:15 AM   #2654
maviczap
Mega Poster

Well I've managed to get out for a couple of short rides, including New Years Day, which was lovely. Apart from one back lane, which was mud strewn & covered in horse & cow poo

I went out yesterday, before the sun appeared. Once the kids are back at school It'll be easy for longer rides.

Go for the Felt if it means comparability with your other stuff, as it saves money in the long run.

I've tried to convince a colleague to do similar, who wants a new bike to buy a £299 Carrera from Halfords because its on a deal & he's got £300 worth of Halfrauds vouchers to spend. But its only 7 speed Shimano, and I already upgraded his crappy bike with 9 speed at couple of years ago.

There's another Carrera for £499 with 9 speed, with a better frame too. All his current 9 speed stuff would work with his new bike.

But money is extremely tight for him. False economy is my view to buy the cheaper one.

Last edited by maviczap; 05-01-13 at 09:16 AM.
Old 05-01-13, 01:34 PM   #2655
fizzwheel
Super Moderator
Mega Poster

Difficult isnt it. I had similar conversation with my colleagues, They bought mountain bikes because they were cheap, then they bought hybrids because they "Didnt like drop bars" both are now on full roadies and have admited to me they should have bought roadies in the first place, except they've shelled out more money on 3 bikes than I did on my VN Roadie when I got it first.

Then they've upgraded wheels and stuff because they only bought cheap wheels, whereas when I spec'd my Look I went for decent stuff, and havent replaced it...

So far this week 50 miles done and 7 miles of running as well. Toying with the idea of a Tri this year, but its going to be hard to fit the swim training in with running and cycling.

Liz has also signed me up for the Great South Run in October...

K5 GSXR 750 Anniversary Edition
fizzwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-13, 02:56 PM   #2656
Dipper

Typical progression Fizz, when people start out they don't get it. Mind you I've used my road modded steel mtb for over 24 years and probably 50k miles so that doesn't owe me much, it still puts a grin on my face.

90 this week all on the Tifosi of course
Dipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-13, 03:04 PM   #2657
maviczap
Mega Poster

Yes, it is difficult

He's also been to Halfrauds and got ripped off big style because he took his bike in for a 'service'

They fitted real bad tyres because they said his were worn out, plus they were expensive

They changed his chain and that cost him £21

They said his cassette was worn out, but I'd fitted that about 6 months before

Plus some other stuff, incl a BB, but that was knackered..

All because he hasn't got the tools or know how. I was mad at him, because I could have done it for him.

Similar issue with tyres he bought some Shwalbe puncture proof tyres, but still kept getting punctures because they weren't great, and getting stranded miles from home, because he couldn't change a tyre.

I'd said get some Gatorskins, but too expensive for him

I feel sorry for him, trapped in a high interest rate mortgage and a wife who spends too much
Old 05-01-13, 03:06 PM   #2658
EssexDave

Just completed my 146th mile in the last four days.
I AM going to race this year and I am NOT going to come last

Looking forward to a couple of days of rest and getting back on it again, just hope the weather stays nice!

Mavi - The thing is, I did like the look of the Allez because 2013 Sora have the proper shifters rather than the crappy positioning they had before (where you can't get to it if you're on the drops) - the Felt retails at £800 but with discount is £709, the Allez with discount is about £650. Doesn't seem like much more to pay to go from Sora --> Tiagra.

A guy in a cycle shop (who confessed to being a MTB rider and with little knowledge of roadie stuff) came out and said the American Classic wheels I have (58cm deep section carbon) are rubbish because despite being light they are too flexible and was saying that the shimano wheels on the Allez are better because they're more rigid. I'm not sure how much truth was in that, any idea?

Also if you're bored and have 2 minutes, check this out made me chuckle at least... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GMCkuqL9IcM
Old 05-01-13, 03:11 PM   #2659
maviczap
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by fizzwheel View Post
Difficult isnt it. I had similar conversation with my colleagues, They bought mountain bikes because they were cheap, then they bought hybrids because they "Didnt like drop bars" both are now on full roadies and have admited to me they should have bought roadies in the first place, except they've shelled out more money on 3 bikes than I did on my VN Roadie when I got it first.

Then they've upgraded wheels and stuff because they only bought cheap wheels, whereas when I spec'd my Look I went for decent stuff, and haven't replaced it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dipper View Post
Typical progression Fizz, when people start out they don't get it. Mind you I've used my road modded steel mtb for over 24 years and probably 50k miles so that doesn't owe me much, it still puts a grin on my face.
I am a tart when it comes to my stuff, and luckily I can afford it, but I have to say the only parts that have failed, have been cheap parts
Old 05-01-13, 03:17 PM   #2660
Dipper

Quote:
Originally Posted by maviczap View Post
I am a tart when it comes to my stuff
I'm just anal about maintenance, I'm daft to leave it 22 years to buy a road bike I know but I still love my mtb. I 'spose I ought to try something racy and carbon next summer.
Dipper is offline   Reply With Quote