SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 03-01-10, 04:45 PM   #2671
sarah

Default Re: The running thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stewie View Post
there is a real mix of running standards on here so no one should feel anything but welcome, so er welcome aboard purplevamp :d
+1

Quote:
not gone for the gnr ballot, have you sarah ?
Old 03-01-10, 04:45 PM   #2672
krhall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purplevamp View Post
Hi Guys, Sarah directed me to this thread as i mentioned in the weight loss thread that i have started running.
I am planning on taking part in numerous charity runs this year and need to start running on the road.
I am running on a treadmill at my gym 3 times a week, i do a 5k run everytime i go and my best time so far is 23 mins and 39 seconds and its a comfortable pace for me too.
Sometimes if im feeling energetic i will do another 5 k run after the rest of my workout.
So my hubby bought me a fab new pair of running shoes for christmas, and now i want to get stuck into some serious training.
After reading some of the post in this thread you guys are serious runners, i can only dream to run some of the distances you guys do, so any tips would greatly be appreciated.
Welcome to the thread PurpleVamp!

You have a head start on what most of us joined this thread with so should find getting out and doing a few miles relatively easy.

Although running on pavements will be a really big change from the springy/soft treadmill so take it careful the first few times you go out and even slow down a bit if you can. You will probably ache a bit until you become accustomed to running on harder surfaces.

Oh and 5km in under 24 minutes is a really good time.

Good luck.
Old 03-01-10, 05:09 PM   #2673
stewie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarah View Post
Has anyone else entered the ballot for the GNR?
Not that but was thinking of entering this
http://www.cardiffhalfmarathon.co.uk/index.htm
I mentioned it towards the back end of last year as a kind of a tribute to Hovis who was nothing less than supportive and enthusiastic to all on this thread.
Old 03-01-10, 05:15 PM   #2674
sarah

Quote:
Not that but was thinking of entering this
http://www.cardiffhalfmarathon.co.uk/index.htm
I mentioned it towards the back end of last year as a kind of a tribute to Hovis who was nothing less than supportive and enthusiastic to all on this thread.
i want to do that too. it's on my birthday
Old 03-01-10, 05:24 PM   #2675
Purplevamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by krhall View Post
Welcome to the thread PurpleVamp!

You have a head start on what most of us joined this thread with so should find getting out and doing a few miles relatively easy.

Although running on pavements will be a really big change from the springy/soft treadmill so take it careful the first few times you go out and even slow down a bit if you can. You will probably ache a bit until you become accustomed to running on harder surfaces.

Oh and 5km in under 24 minutes is a really good time.

Good luck.
Thanks for the welcome, i tried a couple of 2 mile outing locally last year, and i know what you mean about the harder surface. I was amazed at how much my thighs ached the next day, there were a couple up hills involved too lol.
I am eager to getting started but at the moment were suffering with lots of snow and ice everywhere, i dont mind the cold but not really wanting to run on the snow and ice.
Hopefully it will clear in a couple of days.
Im still trying to beat my last 5k run time. I would like to get it down to 23 mins flat.
And yes Sarah running 5k on a treadmill is boring, even more so when all i have to look at is a painting grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.
Old 03-01-10, 05:25 PM   #2676
stewie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarah View Post
i want to do that too. it's on my birthday
Are you bringing the cake with you ? Ive mentioned it in here to guage any interest from the runners first, a half marathon in October gives everyone plenty of time to get the training in, and raise a bit of money for his charity as well.
Old 03-01-10, 05:41 PM   #2677
sarah

Quote:
Are you bringing the cake with you ? Ive mentioned it in here to guage any interest from the runners first, a half marathon in October gives everyone plenty of time to get the training in, and raise a bit of money for his charity as well.
i can bring cake
Old 03-01-10, 07:33 PM   #2678
Ed

Purplevamp - welcome to the thread

You have a good level of fitness already so that will help. My advice to you is to build up slowly. Don't try to do too much too soon, that's the route to certain injury and frustration. Most of all - enjoy your runs.
Old 04-01-10, 08:01 AM   #2679
Stig

Going for my first run of the year today. Bloody cold day to start the year off but here we go.
Old 04-01-10, 08:10 AM   #2680
sarah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stig_Of_The_Dump View Post
Going for my first run of the year today. Bloody cold day to start the year off but here we go.