SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 11-01-10, 10:56 AM   #2761
Stig

Default Re: The running thread!

Still not been for a run but I have brought my running gear into work. The streets and pavements of Reading are still a nightmare, so may just not bother again. Will see come lunchtime.
Old 11-01-10, 11:37 AM   #2762
Ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stig_Of_The_Dump View Post
Still not been for a run but I have brought my running gear into work. The streets and pavements of Reading are still a nightmare, so may just not bother again. Will see come lunchtime.
It's really frustrating isn't it.

Flymo - on heart rate training - this is why I dumped it, the zones were too low and it was irritating to have to slow down so often. If you have a resting heart rate of 50 - wow that's pretty good
Old 11-01-10, 11:46 AM   #2763
flymo
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed View Post
...on heart rate training - this is why I dumped it, the zones were too low and it was irritating to have to slow down so often. If you have a resting heart rate of 50 - wow that's pretty good
I'm prepared to give it a go though, it may well be that it 'feels' too slow but is still actually delivering the intended training benefit. I think its partly a confidence thing which might be an error on our part to want to run near our capacity and prove that we can do it. If a lower intensity training programme actually allows me to run a marathon faster then thats fine I guess. I did find last time around that as my fitness improved then so my heart rate came down for the same speed. I'm sitting on the fence still

My resting heart rate is low which is good, lower than it was last year at something like 65 bpm. I can only put that down to being fitter than last year. I had to be really careful when measuring it, its supposed to be measured just after waking up. I found that if you make any significant movement then it increases very easily but when relaxed shortly after waking it was at 50 bpm

Lying there with my HRM on my thoughts eventually drifted to wondering how I could speed it up......she told me to bugger off
flymo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-10, 11:53 AM   #2764
krhall

Quote:
Originally Posted by flymo View Post
Kev, did you follow the 18 week 'up to 55 miles per week programme'?

Yes mate and I am going to be doing it again for VLM too. It has a little bit of variation in it which is good for keeping you interested.
Old 11-01-10, 11:55 AM   #2765
krhall

Quote:
Lying there with my HRM on my thoughts eventually drifted to wondering how I could speed it up......she told me to bugger off
Yeah I've never been allowed to test the HR either in that way!
Old 11-01-10, 12:29 PM   #2766
Ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by krhall View Post
Yeah I've never been allowed to test the HR either in that way!
Spose that having a chest strap on and constant checking of the monitor tends to suggest more interest in heart rate than in her
Old 11-01-10, 12:33 PM   #2767
Stig

Well it's lunch time and I am still here. The roads are just not worth going out. I would be spending more time trying to stay upright than going forward.
Old 11-01-10, 01:01 PM   #2768
flymo
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by krhall View Post
Yes mate and I am going to be doing it again for VLM too. It has a little bit of variation in it which is good for keeping you interested.
So did you find that the marathon pace runs were a little slow?
flymo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-10, 01:33 PM   #2769
Ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stig_Of_The_Dump View Post
Well it's lunch time and I am still here. The roads are just not worth going out. I would be spending more time trying to stay upright than going forward.
Sucks This is why I ran in the road yesterday, and that divvi near ran me over.
Old 11-01-10, 01:36 PM   #2770
krhall

Quote:
So did you find that the marathon pace runs were a little slow?
Long Runs felt way too slow, I don't think I ever did the MP runs properly.

I need to get the strap out and start doing it again. Some of the other runs felt too fast too.