SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 18-01-15, 08:19 PM   #271
maviczap
Mega Poster

Default Re: Bar conversion with pics

Absolutely lovely.

From memory, Tyga make really nice stuff, i could do with something similar for my front end. I dont like fake carbon parts, but full on stuff looks great sometimes.
maviczap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-15, 09:27 PM   #272
garynortheast
Mega Poster

Where are the discs from Jayne? The rotors are an identical pattern to the Chinese discs I have on my curvy.
garynortheast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-15, 11:15 PM   #273
Jayneflakes
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by maviczap View Post
Absolutely lovely.

From memory, Tyga make really nice stuff, i could do with something similar for my front end. I dont like fake carbon parts, but full on stuff looks great sometimes.
The Tyga front guard does now look amazing, however it was a joint effort between myself and my friend Sian (to be honest it was more her than me, because I just do not have the patience to sand down a thing until I need a magnifying glass to see the feathered edge!) just trying to make it look nice. I have a black plastic hugger that came with the bike and that has a "carbon print" on it which just looks tacky when you see the real stuff. The real stuff like this guard had a shine to it and a depth that you can see down through. I really do like the effect, which is so different to the flat mat finished on the Tioga Carbon Handle bars on my MTB.

Quote:
Originally Posted by garynortheast View Post
Where are the discs from Jayne? The rotors are an identical pattern to the Chinese discs I have on my curvy.
How have your disks lasted? I have no idea what these disks are, but I am a bit worried that they may be Chinese cheapies and could break while I brake!

The disk carrier is an aluminium alloy that has been painted rather than anodised and the bobbins that hold the rotors on to the carrier are very shiny stainless on the main part with a nasty rusty steel washer on the back. However, these backing washers have been sanded and then painted to prevent them from rusting again.

The brake calliper has also been adjusted for fit and the rotor now runs dead true in the centre of the calliper. It was out by just over one millimetre, but it was enough to annoy me and to rub on the disk rotor.

Thanks again folks for kind words, it is appreciated because I am having a crisis of confidence in my ability to work on my bike at the moment. The bike may be looking good, but I am having a brain wobble so I am off to soak in the bath and then maybe cuddle the cat!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlepeahead View Post
Jayne you're a Pussy Magnet
My bar swap and custom suspension

Buy my latest novel and help fund my addiction to strippers and Lego.
Jayneflakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-15, 11:31 PM   #274
garynortheast
Mega Poster

The discs are superb Jayne. The anodising is still as good as when they were fitted more than 7000 miles ago (I'd have to do some checking for the exact mileage), no blueing, warping, cracking to the rotors. They really are very good quality.
garynortheast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-15, 01:21 AM   #275
Jayneflakes
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by garynortheast View Post
The discs are superb Jayne. The anodising is still as good as when they were fitted more than 7000 miles ago (I'd have to do some checking for the exact mileage), no blueing, warping, cracking to the rotors. They really are very good quality.
That is good to know, glad to hear it.
Quote:

Old 19-01-15, 02:22 AM   #276
Bibio
Mega Poster

Jayne, when you painted the wheel did you mask off the disc mating surface where the bolts go?

if not then take the discs back off and take the paint off carefully back down to the metal trying not to take any material apart from the paint off.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-15, 08:03 AM   #277
Jayneflakes
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibio View Post
Jayne, when you painted the wheel did you mask off the disc mating surface where the bolts go?

if not then take the discs back off and take the paint off carefully back down to the metal trying not to take any material apart from the paint off.
There is nothing but bare polished metal under them there disks Sir, I thought that you knew me better than that!

This is a good point though folks, paint under there can make for an uneven attachment of the disks and although I did not mention it, I did make sure that the area was clear of paint before attaching the disks.
Quote:

Old 19-01-15, 08:03 AM   #278
Jayneflakes
Mega Poster

double post, don't know why.

It just was.

So to fill some space, have some music

YouTube Video
Error: If you cannot see this video, then either YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed to play it.
Quote:

Last edited by Jayneflakes; 19-01-15 at 08:06 AM.
Old 21-01-15, 02:12 PM   #279
Jayneflakes
Mega Poster

Top yoke time and this one was a worry.

I had no idea ho I was going to make the top yoke safe and still work with my custom risers, so it was back over to Bristol to see Wayne, the chap who modified the risers for me originally so that they would fit the SV yoke.

For those who do not know him, Wayne is a genius. He has been a senior mechanic with both Bristol Kawasaki centre and also the BMW dealership and his work ethic is suitably meticulous. His own projects are a ZX12R that now has a 1300 lump and a ZX10R that has an engine that he stripped down when new and rebuilt with the sort of bits you usually see on the GP circuit.

Anyway, the yoke has been fettled, the back has been reinforced with two blocks of air craft grade billet (I cannot remember what grade, but it I think that it is of the 7000 series) that have been machined to fit snugly into the webbing. These have been bonded into the yoke with high strength resin and once cured the yoke was machined for the risers. The recess that the Suzuki badge sits in sadly had to go because the risers needed to sit there. It does all look good though.

Quote:

Old 21-01-15, 02:17 PM   #280
maviczap
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayneflakes View Post
Top yoke time and this one was a worry.

I had no idea ho I was going to make the top yoke safe and still work with my custom risers, so it was back over to Bristol to see Wayne, the chap who modified the risers for me originally so that they would fit the SV yoke.

For those who do not know him, Wayne is a genius. He has been a senior mechanic with both Bristol Kawasaki centre and also the BMW dealership and his work ethic is suitably meticulous. His own projects are a ZX12R that now has a 1300 lump and a ZX10R that has an engine that he stripped down when new and rebuilt with the sort of bits you usually see on the GP circuit.

Anyway, the yoke has been fettled, the back has been reinforced with two blocks of air craft grade billet (I cannot remember what grade, but it I think that it is of the 7000 series) that have been machined to fit snugly into the webbing. These have been bonded into the yoke with high strength resin and once cured the yoke was machined for the risers. The recess that the Suzuki badge sits in sadly had to go because the risers needed to sit there. It does all look good though.
So a dab of Araldite then

Nice work
maviczap is offline   Reply With Quote