SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 02-09-10, 06:43 PM   #21
Jackie_Black

Default Re: Honda hornet 600

I sat on both today, they feel very similar. Like a BMX. Both upright and quite roomy. The honda felt a little more chunky but both looked better screwed together than my Dairylea Suzuki!
Old 02-09-10, 06:46 PM   #22
Baggy

I found this review

http://www.visordown.com/road-tests/...e-r/10746.html
Old 02-09-10, 06:49 PM   #23
Jackie_Black

Cheers for that, not read that one
Old 02-09-10, 07:18 PM   #24
Jackie_Black

Good review, basically says that the honda is just behind the triple
Old 02-09-10, 09:05 PM   #25
Neeja

I test rode a new model hornet before buying the older-model one. It was a nice ride, comfy, easy to get around on, as mentioned, suspension not up to much and brakes are adequate. My older one (99) is great fun, but has linear springs for my weight, heavier fork oil and flatter bars. I didn't like the bars on the newer model ones...riding position was a bit funny, but easy to change.

Long and short of it: The bike's fun to ride, but not *exciting* as such. The rear shock is probably worse than the SV one...mine's just died and it's like riding a pogo-stick. Brakes are ok, and marginally better on the ABS variant, but it's linked ABS, although it's very unobtrusive. Lovely smooth engine, and if you get a screen on it and don't mind crouching, it's comfortable at up to a ton for cruising. The one I test-rode had a fly-screen on it and 80 was no problem.
Old 02-09-10, 09:23 PM   #26
Jackie_Black

At the mo, the deals I have found favour the Hornet. But I can have an R6 for 30 quid more a month. However from past experience I have found that SS600's are only fun if you are in a rossi mood. I'm trying to be sensible. But if the Hornet does everything well then I think it may win this battle. Luckily the org always keep me right.

The bike will be a toy so do I get a hornet and enjoy or an R6 and enjoy more?
Old 02-09-10, 09:35 PM   #27
haggis

Maybe you could throw a PM to Sunny on here. She has one of the new shape Hornets.
Old 02-09-10, 11:08 PM   #28
cringer

Street tripple in matt graphite. That is a more fun option than a hornet. Although it's British so it won't age as well as the Honda.

There is one that parks next to my bike at work and I sometimes sit on my bike staring at it then ride home on my piece of **** sv!
Old 03-09-10, 04:39 AM   #29
rossinio

Haha, I took a testride of the street triple and it made my poor SVS seem woolly, heavy and slow! The street triple was like riding an insane 125 with a proper engine in it, although the boom from the arrow cans at crusiing speed was pretty uncomfortable..
Old 03-09-10, 08:25 AM   #30
Amanda M

I've got a 2008 hornet and really like it. I've had this one for 18 months now. Plenty of fun in the twisties, comfy enough for distances and you get a decent tank range on it.

The only things I don't like like about it are the electronic choke that stays on for much longer than I would like, the FI feels 'lumpy' on constant throttle at ~3000rpm (they all feel like that and the 2007 one I had as a loaner did it too), and the riding position hurts my hands and wrists (but that's cos I'm a wreck, not the bike ) but those are just niggly things and don't spoil the bike in the slightest. I've also had one of the first hornets (with a 90 mile tank range and 16in front wheel), and a 2005 (last of the carbed) one, which were still great but they were completely different to the newer ones in riding position and feel. Can you tell I'm a hornet fan?

I'd really recommend them. Good fun bikes and look smart too .

Good luck on whatever you decide.

Amanda