SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 05-08-05, 03:52 PM   #21
muddycoffee

Quote:
Originally Posted by shutdown
look at those crash helmets!
You should have seen the crap crash helmets, these ones looked "safer" I had to wear my sunglasses to stop the insects.
These helmets were actually motor helmets not cycling ones, but I wouldn't be seen dead with one normally. Us and another couple who were also bikers were the only people on the whole island actually wearing helmets, noone else did.

If you ever go abroad to Corfu or a similar place I can highly recommend it though for a day or two. It came to about £20 including insurance, and a full tank cost about 50p.. There was hardly any traffic and all the stupid townies with no helmets just stuck to near their home resort. Probably having no roadsense, not wanting to go onto bigger roads, something which I was not worried about at all, due to my years of experience.
Old 05-08-05, 05:21 PM   #22
CB1ROCKET

As you can see, the brake lever is bent as well! Must of been riden by a townie in the first place!

Are the brake on foregien scooters the other way round?

i.e right is rear, left is front, as that what i found on a rental push bike!
Old 05-08-05, 11:09 PM   #23
nuntius

Had a 100cc scooter for a year before I got my bike. I hated it at the time because one of my regualr journeys is along the bypass and it was crap for that. But for going through town there is NOTHING that can beat it in speed. I was dong a 35 minute journey in 20 minutes by mega filtering and being cheaky with cycle lanes.
Old 05-08-05, 11:58 PM   #24
northwind
Mega Poster

I used to borrow my mate's Vespa PX125 from time to time, and he'd borrow the Yam... Lovely little bike, if you ignore the tendancy to touch down the monocoque fairing/chassis on every sharp bend.
But we're oh so easily swayed"
northwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-05, 12:15 AM   #25
sv4me
Mega Poster

I had a 50cc when I was 16. It did 45 flat out! but 2 of my mates had them and we all loved them. Especially knackering the tyres by slamming both brakes on and locking up both wheels ahh we were kids!

I wanted a bike with gears like an RS50 but it was on average a grand dearer than the scoot and 4 insurance groups higher and very likely to get pinched by some scal knobhead so I got the scoot. Did 10,000miles on it at 45mph!!!

Personally wouldnt ever get a scoot again as Im used to the power and the noise and the looks of bikes. But I go on my dads T-Max every now and then,dont ever say scooters are slow unless youve been on one of these!
sv4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-05, 06:44 AM   #26
busasean

yep had an aprillia habana custom 125cc. same sort that jamie oliver had! did 72mph when hammered, and about 1000000mpg (ish!) sold it to buy transalp cos i didnt fancy commuting 150 miles per day on it! dont mind scooters, but we seem to have packs of little t**ds riding them in hastings. most of them are held together with tape and cable ties, bald tyres, shagged brakes and broken lights.but seeing as they dont go over 30 mph the police arent interested!
Old 06-08-05, 08:05 AM   #27
jenni

I used to have a scooter- a piaggio zip 125 it would do 65 on a good day and got be from A-B

Had a couple of offs on it and learnt an awful lot. Recently I have noticed many scooter to$$ers on the road and I was ashamed to be associated with them

I'm glad I sold it though, as hopefully the SV will be arriving soon
Old 06-08-05, 12:44 PM   #28
empty

Default scooter

Had a Piaggio B125 for 2 years. Compared to most other scooters this was a haven of peace and tranquility - smooth, comfortable etc, but still fairly gutsy. I liked it. I did some large journeys on it, London to Southampton/Bath is possible (if a little slow when you can't use the motorway).

Compared to the CG125 I did my DAS first part on, the CG was (slightly) faster and slightly more economical, but the brakes were truely appaling (B125 has dual discs and wider tyres), vibrated so much my hands were numb in 30 mins around town and buzzed like a chain saw. For the riding I did at the time the scooter was so much better.

Now owned by my dad as his first bike, commuting 10 miles a day into Bath. He loves it.

MT
Old 06-08-05, 12:49 PM   #29
kwak zzr

no scoot ere but do hire one when abroard. i had one in corfu in 2003 it had'nt seen an MOT for bloody years right NAIL!! the choice was the scoot or a fiat panda from sidari renta car!
Old 06-08-05, 06:02 PM   #30
jump

Jeez guys really nagative stuff regarding the scooters.. not all scooter riders are ****s!!! Anyway, live central london and used to have vespa et4 125, and was fantastic. Not one off in 3yrs (even with those little wheels), could do my shopping on it and take loads of bags, was much more comfortable for my girlfriend as pillion, and felt safer (she feels really exposed on the back of the sv...). Still wouldn't replace the sv for a scooter, but they definitely have their uses...