SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 08-12-08, 03:49 PM   #21
DanAbnormal

Default Re: Memory and Motivation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grinch View Post
I think this wins as quote of the day...

I've got plenty to think about now... and I'll try to anwser the question later...
Glad it had the desired effect. At least, I hope it had the desired effect, nudge nudge...........
Old 08-12-08, 04:13 PM   #22
Messie
The Teacer
Mega Poster

I've only skimmed through the rest of the thread but I don't think anyone's mentioned thyroid problems yet. Over active, under active or being attacked by ones own immune system can have strong psychological as well as physical effects.
When it happened to me there were definate indicators of memory loss, a bit of confusion and depression. Weight changes can also be an issue, either gaining or losing or not being able to shift any.
Other possible sypmtoms include erratic sleeping patterns, inability to control temperature (eg staying freezing cold or sweaty hot even though the room temp is OK) dry skin, poor hair. If you put your fingers softly on your adams apple you may be able to feel swellings either side when you swallow
Go to your GP and insist on a thyroid function test - some are more ready to do it than others. If there is a problem though, it's easily fixed. Don't worry. I've had it for 15 years
Mind you I could be completely wrong and you've got fed upness with a touch of tiredness plus a dose of lack of sunshine blues
Old 08-12-08, 04:22 PM   #23
Grinch

Well I had my thyroid checked last year, but I'll be sure to get it checked again, but I know all about it as Jax has a thyroid problem.
Old 08-12-08, 04:53 PM   #24
gettin2dizzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy Claire View Post

Multivitamin and Mineral Complex removes free radicals and provides all necessary nutrients.

Acetylcholine helps prevent memory loss in adults.

Boron improves brain and memory function.

Garlic is a brain cell protector that may benefit age-related memory loss.

Lecithin improves memory.

Ginkgo increases blood flow to the brain, thus enhancing memory.

Vitamin B Complex needed for proper brain function.

Vitamin C with Bioflavonoids improves circulation.

Zinc plus Copper helps remove toxins from the brain and body. Copper is needed to work with zinc in very small doses. L-Tyrosine helps improve learning, memory and awareness and has mood enhancing affects.

Hope you feel better soon
Take these with a pinch of salt (not physically; that'd be minging). There aren't any good studies yet that show any significant benefits.

As for losing your memory; as you've drawn attention to it, you notice it more and consequently think it's getting worse.

Sounds just like winter blues and fatigue to me. It's not normal to feel happy as Larry all of the time. I'd avoid getting any meds if you can, as they can be an **** to get back off.
Old 08-12-08, 04:54 PM   #25
dizzyblonde
Da Cake Boss
Mega Poster

In my case was checked for everything, as all my symptoms mirrored those of thyroid and diabetes, as I was also having the feeling of passing out at work, and had got to the stage where I could sleep 24 hrs a day and it wouldn't stop me feeeling tired, but neither tests found anything. A lot of symptoms of depression and anxiety mirror those physical problems.

I for one wouldn't agree that I needed anti depressants, I certainly don't agree with taking them, i held together for so long without them..why me and why now?
But after doing the silly thing of falling off the bike, which was partly road and weather conditions, and partially my fault, because I couldnt even do that properly at the time...I knew I had to address the issue. Firstly they put me on Fluoxetine..which made me so ill, I couldnt even get off the sofa for the world spinning( I think I took two of them and that was enough) then they put me on Citalopram, which turned me into a drooling zombie, then they put me on an 'old fashioned' one Lofepramine ..slowly the marbles that I did have, I have started finding under the sofa! They also gave me the option on CBT, and councelling which i start tomorrow.
Still don't agree with the taking the drugs, but if they help me get out of the pit I've falllen into, then so be it.I've even got to the stage where I can see a point where I can start coming off them........oh and slowly my memory is coming back just don't ask me to to something too complicated, cause the attention span isnt quiter there yet

Those at work have been particulary supportive.The day i went back after 2 months off, they asked me how I was etc, I just replied ''well you knew i was nuts in the first place, but now I am officially a nutter!'' they all laughd and said at least i hadnt lost my sense of humour, and that was that, settled in slowly and they've all gathered round...and not because they feel sorry for me or anything, its because we are a close team

Hovis 13.8.75-3.10.09 Reeder 20.7.88-21.3.12

Last edited by dizzyblonde; 08-12-08 at 04:58 PM.
dizzyblonde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-08, 09:31 PM   #26
Lou M

I've had the same with thyroid, and the best thing for it if you don't want medication is, BRAZIL NUT'S, unless your alergic to them!

Nuts are also good for your memory, I eats loads around the time of exams, and I must admit they do help. I can't remember (ha ha) where I read about this, but certainly works, and ideal if you don't want to take medication.

Oh yes, and as a sufferer of depression, the other food that helps is turkey, once I found this out I've made sure I've eaten turkey every week, and touch wood, I've been fine for a couple of years now and not needed to go back on the medication.

HTH Grinch.

Lou
Old 08-12-08, 10:19 PM   #27
phil24_7
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy Claire View Post
I wouldn`t in honesty suspect depression from those 2 symptoms. As others have said it could be more due to the time of year, stress, not getting enough sleep etc. Have you had your thyroid function checked recently? might be worth doing and would just involve a blood test.

Physical symptoms of depression would include:
  • Slowed movement or speech.
  • Change in appetite or weight (usually decreased, but sometimes increased).
  • Constipation.
  • Unexplained aches and pains.
  • Lack of energy or lack of interest in sex.
  • Changes to the menstrual cycle.
  • Disturbed sleep patterns (for example, problems getting off to sleep or waking in the early hours of the morning).
and psychological symptoms would be:
  • Feelings of hopelessness and helplessness.
  • Low self-esteem.
  • Tearfulness.
  • Feelings of guilt.
  • Feeling irritable and intolerant of others.
  • Lack of motivation and less interest, and difficulty in making decisions.
  • Lack of enjoyment.
  • Suicidal thoughts or thoughts of harming someone else.
  • Feeling anxious or worried.
  • Reduced sex drive
If you think after reading the above that it might be more than feeling "under the weather" then go see your GP. Some supplements that might help you feel a bit better might include...

Multivitamin and Mineral Complex removes free radicals and provides all necessary nutrients.

Acetylcholine helps prevent memory loss in adults.

Boron improves brain and memory function.

Garlic is a brain cell protector that may benefit age-related memory loss.

Lecithin improves memory.

Ginkgo increases blood flow to the brain, thus enhancing memory.

Vitamin B Complex needed for proper brain function.

Vitamin C with Bioflavonoids improves circulation.

Zinc plus Copper helps remove toxins from the brain and body. Copper is needed to work with zinc in very small doses. L-Tyrosine helps improve learning, memory and awareness and has mood enhancing affects.

Hope you feel better soon
Very useful post SC, though I have a few too many of those symptoms than I'm comfortable with!

I'm not here for a long time, I'm here for a good time!

Blue SV650 K3, GSX-R K5 front end, TL1000S clip-ons, lower fairings, seat cowl, gel seat, Pyramid undertray, R&G crash bungs, stainless steel bar ends, full titanium Akrapovic exhaust, Power Commander, clear rear light, flush mount front indys, mini rear indys, Autocom 300 duo intercom, Acumen cat 1 alarm and Micheline Pilot Power 2ct's.
phil24_7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-08, 10:41 PM   #28
Speedy Claire

oops sorry... all of the above could also be symptoms of Xmas
Old 08-12-08, 10:43 PM   #29
Davido

ooh I know! I know!

See a doctor.
Old 08-12-08, 10:57 PM   #30
dizzyblonde