SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 10-04-11, 07:49 AM   #21
magg

Default Re: CBR600F3 fork internals in SV forks?

Had intended to fit cbr600f3 fork cartridges but do not know how the cbr compression valving will work without the adjuster that is located in the cbr lower leg.
Old 10-04-11, 01:43 PM   #22
mikerj

I thought the F3 only had rebound adjustment which is located on the top with the preload adjuster?
mikerj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-11, 10:44 PM   #23
magg

Could someone confirm that cbr600f3 only has rebound adjustment, this is the question for which I have been unable to find an answer. Believe earlier f2 system had rebound adjusters that also affected compression. Don't know exactly what f3 has.
Old 11-04-11, 08:23 AM   #24
mikerj

Searching shows that only adjustable rebound damping and preload is ever mentioned with regard to these forks. This makes sense as the SV isn't the only bike which the F3 fork is popular for a 'hybrid'; the Triumph Bonnie also uses 41mm Showa forks which can have the F3 cartridges and stanchions fitted.
Old 11-04-11, 06:14 PM   #25
Stonesie

The more I look into this the more confused I get, there's so many options out there. I've seen it mentioned that the cartridges ect from a GSXR 600 (01 - 03) fit straight into the SV forks...

With mine I'm not really keen on the idea of replacing my 11k mile stansions with something much older, but after a progressive rideout yesterday I think I need to do something to improve this bike, or change it.
Old 11-04-11, 07:54 PM   #26
mikerj

The cartridge emulators do a very good job. If you know someone local with a lathe it's very easy to make some spacers to allow the inexpensive Racetech emulator clones to fit in the pointy. I fitted them to my dads Curvy (drop in fit, no mods), my pointy (requires some spacers made) and my GPZ500 (gold valves needed a bit of machining). Along with heavier springs and new oil it's greatly improved all of them.

I wouldnt have thought K1-K3 GSXR cartridges would be a straightforward conversion as they definately have a compression adjuster on the bottom of the forks.

Last edited by mikerj; 11-04-11 at 07:56 PM.
Old 11-04-11, 08:10 PM   #27
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

There are things you need to do to get valves that work with no adjuster to work without or vice versa. There are also a few ways to give comp adjustment if you want it.

I'm a few weeks away* from offering cartridge forks with various levels of adjustment in stock forks in minitwin legal (or not, depending on your preference for trick caps) form.

There is no way a 600K1 cartridge fits straight in to SV forks. I've got one sat on workbench (the other one is a bit stoke on trent, that takes some doing, 10 points Mr Hindle!!) and while possible it won't "drop in".

*Yes I know I said this in October, but I REALLY mean it this time!
Old 11-04-11, 08:31 PM   #28
Stonesie

After more digging, I found a link to these
https://www.debrix.com/ProductDetail...ode=24-0361-VT

Any good YC?

I think I need to improve as a rider as I'm still a newbie but the bike feels like its saying "thats enough of that fella" on the bumpy bits... If that makes any sense.
Old 11-04-11, 08:44 PM   #29
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

Yeah I have a set of these on bench right now too, just made some adaptors to fit those to a guy on here's forks. I can easily make some more.
My impression is they are same parts as racetech emulators, no difference worth mentioning.

For money an excellent mod. Cartridges are technically better but more cash.