SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Closed Thread

Old 17-11-04, 03:44 PM   #21
northwind
Mega Poster

I just can't read the new logo, is all. Bikeageboy's alternative with the bit of blue behind it, so the V actually looked like a V, worked better for me. But if I didn't know this was a logo for an SV forum I'd be wondering what SI650 means.

Apparently voicing any opinion's going to be a waste of time anyway, but honestly, I think the new logo's a dog's breakfast from a design point of view- lots of mismatched angles, no clarity, no thematic continuity between the letters and numbers (one very round, one very spiky).
No .org either.

The lines don't match throughout, even within a single letter (the S) there's a sort of mismatch between a solid geometric look and a vanishing point look (the upstroke lines are parallel, but the tails of the S head off to the same VP as the V) To keep things tidy, if you're going to have everything tapering to a single VP, you put it either centrally or off to one side of the whole logo, not exactly bwetween 2 characters (the V and the 650), which leaves you with a letter with a totally different lean. And you can't have some bits vanishing and some not, or you get clashing angles that just look wrong.

(all it needs to tidy this up, IMHO, is to have the 2 tails of the S cut off at the same angle, and the V to be strengthened up to make it more obviously a V. The overall vision's good, don't get me wrong, but a logo's got to be clear. If we piut that on stickers, tshirts, things like that, the moment it's out of context with the bike people won't even know what it says I'm afraid.)

All just IMO, of course.
But we're oh so easily swayed"
Old 17-11-04, 03:48 PM   #22
BaggaZee

I do know that a lot of work is involved and that there's probably little enough appreciation of it, I'm still not sure about the term 'owners' though. Maybe I've missed the point entirely, I thought it was about community rather than ownership.

Either way, the logo's not what it's all about, I'm sure we'll survive whatever happens.

Old 17-11-04, 03:59 PM   #23
Jabba

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trix
FWIW, I know it costs a great deal of money to set-up and maintain a site such as this
So far as I'm aware, all this site costs is the time and good-will of the webmasters/admin-bods and Steve Nance (our anonymous benefactor in the USA)

Old 17-11-04, 04:05 PM   #24
Trix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabba-the-Hutt
Quote:
FWIW, I know it costs a great deal of money to set-up and maintain a site such as this
So far as I'm aware, all this site costs is the time and good-will of the webmasters/admin-bods and Steve Nance (our anonymous benefactor in the USA)
I shall consider myself corrected then Jabba

No offence meant, just don't like to see a downer put on hard work, and people thinking it's their right to do so.

Old 17-11-04, 04:08 PM   #25
DeeJay

Quote:
unless you own the site or are a paying sponsor, then really it is nowt to do with you what the owner decides to do with their logo's etc...
No offence mate, but that sounds really bad..... it makes out that if your not a sponser then you have NO say at all... this is a good forum because of the users... and paying or not paying sponsership is a personal preference... some people have used this site for a long time, and i feel that they should also be allowed a say in what happens... or at least should be given a choice of what happens...

As i said, no offence intended.. this is too close a family to argue over something so stupid as a logo....

Old 17-11-04, 04:09 PM   #26
Nekkid

Quote:
FWIW, I know it costs a great deal of money to set-up and maintain a site such as this, and yes it's all users that make it a good place to be, and yes everyone is entitled to their opinion....but....unless you own the site or are a paying sponsor, then really it is nowt to do with you what the owner decides to do with their logo's etc...
I don't think anyone actually 'owns' the site, do they?
Don't forget it's not just site sponsors that contribute (although I don't think they've had any say either), anyone who's bought a sticker has as well I believe.
Remember the People are the site. Without them it's just another (exceptionaly well run!) bike site.

Old 17-11-04, 04:12 PM   #27
Nekkid

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeJay

this is too close a family to argue over something so stupid as a logo....
In which case I want it to say "Yellow Ones Are Best!"

Old 17-11-04, 04:12 PM   #28
rubberduckofdeath

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nekkid
Quote:
FWIW, I know it costs a great deal of money to set-up and maintain a site such as this, and yes it's all users that make it a good place to be, and yes everyone is entitled to their opinion....but....unless you own the site or are a paying sponsor, then really it is nowt to do with you what the owner decides to do with their logo's etc...
I don't think anyone actually 'owns' the site, do they?
Don't forget it's not just site sponsors that contribute (although I don't think they've had any say either), anyone who's bought a sticker has as well I believe.
Remember the People are the site. Without them it's just another (exceptionaly well run!) bike site.
John technically "owns" the site as he runs it but the information on the forum is technically copyright by whoever made the post(s) and the forum software is owned by the phpBB. So the information is owned by everyone who posted but the site is run by John...

Not that any of that matters

Old 17-11-04, 04:17 PM   #29
northwind
Mega Poster

I don't think anyone's doing that though... We can't comment on the new site because it doesn't yet exist. Personally, I'm confident it'll be great. All we can comment on is what we've seen, and I've rarely seen anything but appreciation for the way the site and the forum are run in the past.

But really here we're talking about 2 things, right?

The new logo, but more importantly
Ownership vs community

It's a balance that's hard to find, someone has to be in charge and do the admin, and personally i'm glad to have such good ones. But at the same time, the only reason they can do that is because of the community users. If the admin started acting unilaterally and changing significant things, and then refusing to listen to feedback, that might become a problem.

Most people never even saw the announcement on the logo because it was in Town Cryer, and the majority of people don't check there. If there's going to be a change and there's going to be any element of feedback possible, it needs to be posted in the main section- or at least, a notice about it does. Since in this case, the thread was locked before most people even knew it existed, but despite this "all opinions have been taken on board".

At the end of the day, if we take this one instance to a crazy doomsday scenario, the forum becomes Jonboy's diktat and we all leave and join SVRider But I don't think that's at all likely. Does anyone else? No? Good.

And the other extreme is we stick our oar in about every little change, and Jonboy tells us to f*** off and we need another new admin, the forum collapses and we all go off to join SVRider again. Strokes me as more likely, to be honest...
But we're oh so easily swayed"
Old 17-11-04, 04:29 PM   #30
BaggaZee

The voice of reason! Until
Quote:
Strokes me as more likely, to be honest...

Does it really!! Weirdo!

Closed Thread