SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

The Border Patrol Covering North Wales, Shropshire, Staffs, Merseyside and Cheshire for SV650.org members, past, present and future

Old 17-05-09, 10:29 AM   #21
Frank

Default Re: Police bike check

back to the number plate and it needing to have the manufactures name or stealers name on it.
Doesnt this only count on vehicles from 03(I think) onwards
Old 17-05-09, 10:40 AM   #22
Leopard_lily

Quote:
Originally Posted by mototech View Post
Realy? where did you get this info? reliable source it certainly wouldnt suprise me part of me thinks its long over due.
My partner told me (he's a biking instructor) the ponderosa cafe is one of the places they are targeting for this.
Old 17-05-09, 11:06 AM   #23
Ch00

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu View Post

So can you not get date of birth from the insurance records?
The computer does not hold the date of birth on insurance files. Also who says its that person driving/riding at the time?

Ch00
Old 17-05-09, 08:30 PM   #24
Speedy Claire

Glad they weren`t able to do you for anything..... you`d think they had something better to do tho!!!
Old 17-05-09, 10:02 PM   #25
Ed

Pete - so what if someone has a small plate? Does it mean to say that police officers have to give someone a £30 fine?? Does it REALLY matter? Does it really mean that the bike isn't safe? Yes of course it's the law - but bigger things happen in life, a small number plate is not a safety issue. Or have I missed something?
Old 17-05-09, 10:22 PM   #26
the_lone_wolf
Captain Awesome
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed View Post
Pete - so what if someone has a small plate? Does it mean to say that police officers have to give someone a £30 fine?? Does it REALLY matter? Does it really mean that the bike isn't safe? Yes of course it's the law - but bigger things happen in life, a small number plate is not a safety issue. Or have I missed something?
the current level of enforcement doesn't mean every bike has a legal plate, if that were the aim then it could easily be enforced heavy handedly, but it does mean that the vast majority of bikes have a half sensible 7x5 or larger

if the level of enforcement drops further suddenly lots of people have 6x3, and a sizeable number have even smaller plates, but if they get pulled everyone moans and claims they're being victimised

now imagine you get run off the road by someone with a tiny 4x2 plate with a silly font and you can't tell the police what it was, all of sudden keeping the level of enforcement to somewhere where the vast majority of riders stick to a sensible, if not legal, size seems like a much better idea...
(⌐■_■)
Deal with it...
the_lone_wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-09, 10:23 PM   #27
Baph

A sufficiently small plate can't be read by ANPR. I've had it proven to me that a 7x5 cannot be read by ANPR when you pass a stationary police car at 50mph.

That's exactly the caution I was given (along with my £30 fine). The officer's words to me, were "It's all well & good having a small plate, call it fashion, call it aerodynamics, but if some scouser comes & nicks your bike, I could be 5miles down the road & wouldn't know about it when they pass ANPR cameras. If you have a legal plate, I'd know about it. Which would you prefer?"

I still have a small plate, but it's not 7x5 like it was.

I hasten to add, that whilst giving me tickets for a small plate & crossing solid white lines, no comment was made about the speed of either vehicle for the last 25 miles, and it was in excess of the limit.
Old 18-05-09, 05:06 AM   #28
Bluepete
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed View Post
Nope, not a problem, not a safety issue, but TLW and Baph have answered the question before I saw it. Thanks fellas!

Silly one liners the size of a Mars Bar may get a ticket, but it's a rare and unusual event

Pete
Bluepete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-09, 01:21 PM   #29
flymo
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baph View Post
......but if some scouser comes & nicks your bike.
The cheeky get.
flymo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-09, 02:24 PM   #30
Nobbylad
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by flymo View Post
The cheeky get.
+1
Nobbylad is offline   Reply With Quote