SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 18-12-14, 08:53 AM   #21
Matt-EUC
Mega Poster

Default Taliban kill children in Pakistan

Quote:
Originally Posted by thulfi View Post

Which religion, even in it's most extreme form would justify the murder of innocent children of it's own religion (never mind the others)?.

Christianity. No, really.

Psalms 137:9

White 650 V-Strom
-No mods
Blue curvy 650 (OMFG I FIXED IT!!!)
-200mm Delkevic Stubby.

Last edited by Matt-EUC; 18-12-14 at 08:55 AM.
Matt-EUC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-14, 09:04 AM   #22
keith_d
Mega Poster

Default Re: Taliban kill children in Pakistan

There's an article (http://www.vox.com/2014/12/16/740525...chool-pakistan) which suggests that in addition to the obvious revenge motive there may have been other reasons for this barbaric attack. Possibly as a show of strength when their rank and file members are under pressure from the military, or as a result of splits within the Taliban.

Whatever the motivation, I suspect there will be an unofficial 'shoot first' policy from the Pakistani army when dealing with Taliban suspects in future. It's not the sort of thing that's easily forgiven.
keith_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-14, 09:20 AM   #23
ophic
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith_d View Post
Whatever the motivation, I suspect there will be an unofficial 'shoot first' policy from the Pakistani army when dealing with Taliban suspects in future. It's not the sort of thing that's easily forgiven.
If there isn't already. This isn't the first instance of the Taliban attacking children in Pakistan. It's been going on for years.
Old 18-12-14, 11:41 AM   #24
Red Herring
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt-EUC View Post

I'm a bit of an atheist so probably not the best to advise on religion, but if you look at that Psalm,

"How blessed will be the one who seizes and dashes your little ones against the rock."

there are two ways you can interpret it. If you are looking for justification for doing so then I can see how you may choose to read this is such, however I prefer to read it literally as a question.

Indeed, how blessed are they? I would suggest not very.....
Red Herring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-14, 06:05 PM   #25
Matt-EUC
Mega Poster

Well, there's that. But more to the point, I pulled a verse from the bible and used it completely out of context so it now says what I want it to. (Totally appropriate to this discussion!!!)

If you read the rest of the chapter it makes a lot more sense and is much less awful.

White 650 V-Strom
-No mods
Blue curvy 650 (OMFG I FIXED IT!!!)
-200mm Delkevic Stubby.
Matt-EUC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-14, 08:42 PM   #26
PyroUK
Mega Poster

In all fairness, it's all crap.

It doesn't matter which way you look at it.

You can try and work out why they may have felt justified but as westerners we will NEVER get it.

As he was trying to say, we don't know both sides of the story, it may have been that a, culturally relevant, slight was made against them and they retaliated. We won't understand what that is.

I however think it's more likely that, and I do not condone this, it was more tactical. It's the same way humans have done it since the dawn of our time. If you have an enemy and want to defeat them, you have certain options.

Fight the fighters, which will keep coming, or stop the fighters before they are fighters. This in my mind is the most likely reason. Not the best thought out, but most likely.

At the end of the day it doesn't matter if it's us or them, atrocities are committed in one way or another by every nation.

Look at the civilian death toll created by us and the yanks in Iraq and Afghanistan. Not to mention the cost in lives of our servicemen and women.
Old 19-12-14, 07:50 AM   #27
Spank86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Herring View Post
I'm a bit of an atheist so probably not the best to advise on religion, but if you look at that Psalm,

"How blessed will be the one who seizes and dashes your little ones against the rock."

there are two ways you can interpret it. If you are looking for justification for doing so then I can see how you may choose to read this is such, however I prefer to read it literally as a question.

Indeed, how blessed are they? I would suggest not very.....
True but if you read the whole old testament you can find instances of "soldiers of god" killing entire towns including women and children.

But it's ok because they were Evil, even the newborns. The bible says so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PyroUK View Post
Look at the civilian death toll created by us and the yanks in Iraq and Afghanistan. Not to mention the cost in lives of our servicemen and women.
Civilians have always been casualties of war, that's inevitable in a world without formal battlefields, the difference is between accidents and deliberate targeting.

You can claim that the line is blurry in some instances but there's a pretty clear cut difference between an explosion that kills a soldier and a bystander and killing all the kids in a school with no military personnel for miles.

Last edited by Spank86; 19-12-14 at 07:53 AM.
Old 19-12-14, 09:27 AM   #28
maviczap
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spank86 View Post
True but if you read the whole old testament you can find instances of "soldiers of god" killing entire towns including women and children.
But it's ok because they were Evil, even the newborns. The bible says so.
Yes, and probably why these countries are still living in the dark ages, both spiritually & socially, if they are still living by old religious dictate.

I'm not religious by any means, but I don't have any issues with people who do, unless they believe that slaughtering innocent children is condoned by their god.

Last edited by Luckypants; 19-12-14 at 09:49 AM.
maviczap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-14, 11:10 AM   #29
Spank86

It's the old question about morality.

How do we know what is moral if morality is fluid, and even if it's fixed how do we know our perception is correct?

Its very easy to point to specific things and say immoral, or wrong, but not everyone shares the same views and what we point to today in horror may be classed on a par with some of our own actions when viewed by our decedents.

I think the real problem is the combining of two morally incompatible cultures. I find it interesting that Islam (in its current form at least) is 500 years younger than Christianity and when we look back 500 years we find behaviour that's not so far away. Not that I'm advocating ignoring the next 500 years of dead children in the hope that it'll all work out.
Old 20-12-14, 02:41 AM   #30
BanannaMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt-EUC View Post

Psalms is pre-Christ (aka Old Testament) so they would have been Jewish.

"The Mountains are calling and I must go"

Last edited by BanannaMan; 20-12-14 at 02:44 AM.
BanannaMan is offline   Reply With Quote