SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

View Poll Results: What's the most dangerous
White van man 20 28.57%
People on mobiles 35 50.00%
Young drivers 11 15.71%
Old drivers 23 32.86%
Boy racers 15 21.43%
other (list in post) 13 18.57%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 70. You may not vote on this poll

Old 14-09-07, 03:13 PM   #21
kwak zzr

Default Re: Most dangerous on the road

WVM ive hit one.
Old 14-09-07, 03:18 PM   #22
krhall

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwak zzr View Post
WVM ive hit one.
and bushes?
Old 14-09-07, 03:18 PM   #23
Flamin_Squirrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedrosa View Post
Much as many will baulk at reading this, I would be surprised to learn if,(just like here in Spain) the stats actually show anything other than the users of motorcycles and scooters being the most dangerous. All based on the actual number of accidents in relation to the ratio compared with other modes of transport being used on the roads.

"Let he who is without sin,caste the first stone."
Who said anything about number of accidents? Who's the most dangerous on the road, the focus being on those who harm other people. Motorcyclists may hurt themselves alot, not so often they hurt others.
Old 14-09-07, 03:18 PM   #24
Berlin

Saab Drivers!

They are the Volvo Driver for the new Milenium!
Old 14-09-07, 03:25 PM   #25
kwak zzr

Quote:
Originally Posted by krhall View Post
and bushes?
yep tis a hobbie i want to get out of.
Old 14-09-07, 03:27 PM   #26
the_runt69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elio View Post
Believe it or not I find that cyclists are a nightmare. They do not signal, jump red lights. swing out between cars, the list goes on........
+ 1
Old 14-09-07, 03:29 PM   #27
Pedrosa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamin_Squirrel View Post
Who said anything about number of accidents? Who's the most dangerous on the road, the focus being on those who harm other people. Motorcyclists may hurt themselves alot, not so often they hurt others.
And where in the original post was your assumption, referring to those that hurt other road users mentioned? That is purely your own interpretation of it. Not forgetting also that there are many motorcycle accidents that hurt other motorcyclists, pedestrians and other vehicle users.

I remain with my original post then if that is ok with you. As after all with somewhat more years riding than your good self I have seen and heard of many instances where it is not just the biker and his machine that gets damaged. I am fully aware of the unnecesary mayhem we can cause.

Which other motor vehicle user do you consider to be the most dangerous to us motorcyclists?

But being specific to what I perceived as the original point of the thread, we motorcyclists as a group are involved in more accidents,(even single vehicle accidents) than any other group of users per % of vehicle numbers. We are therefore the most dangerous out there. Something we have to accept and deal with.

Last edited by Pedrosa; 14-09-07 at 03:38 PM. Reason: edit
Old 14-09-07, 03:38 PM   #28
Flamin_Squirrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedrosa View Post
But being specific to what I perceived as the original point of the thread, we motorcyclists as a group are involved in more accidents,(even single vehicle accidents) than any other group of users per % of vehicle numbers. We are therefore the most dangerous out there. Something we have to accept and deal with.
Meaningless statistic.

If 1,000,000 cars have an accident 0.1% of the time and 1,000 bikers have accident 50% of the time, that's still twice as many car accidents as bike accidents so the cars are more dangerous.
Old 14-09-07, 07:38 PM   #29
Demonz

If the question is who is most dangerous towards me as a motorcyclist?

Other than myself, I would say it is the guy with the big fast car that doesnt give a sh*t about anyone else on the road. He doesnt give way on roundabouts, blocks you from filtering, never lets you in when turning into slow moving traffic, sits on your tail in traffic on the motorway, and you try any of the above and he sits on your tail at the next set of lights fuming and sometimes tries stupid things like swerve at you.

My pet annoyance in the car are truck drivers on the motorway or dual lane highways that pull out to try and overtake the other truck in front. Firstly they flash once before jumping into a gap they cant fit in, cause you as the driver they just cut up to brake sharply to let him in, causing the cars behind you to swerve into the inside lane to avoid you braking. Then he continues on for 2 minutes overtaking the truck holding up all traffic....
Old 14-09-07, 11:59 PM   #30
-Ralph-

I could vote for all of them, voted for young drivers rather than boy racers as there are plenty of 40 year old boy racers and most 17 year olds are more dangerous.

Young boy racers in powerful cars who think they are fast enough to take on a bike are a problem where I live. Because you are generally quicker than a car on a bike, it can come as surprise when you don't pass or leave behind a car in traffic because they are ragging it and trying to impress their mates with stories of how they "took on" this bike.

I agree about women in SUV's on phones. They just don't look. You feel like stopping at the next junction and banging on the window "put the goddamn phone away!".