SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 02-05-06, 03:00 PM   #21
lew893

In my younger driving days I used to get pulled all the time (also before joining the police) I got pulled for a similar thing I pulled away from the chippy in my Ford Orion 1.6i Ghia chav mobile and booted it looked in my mirror as I did so and saw a police avn so kept the speed between 30 and 35, he folloewd me to just down the road from my house and pulled me, got out of his van all moody and me with a big grin onmy face to try and wind him up as I knew he could not do me for anything I was a mechanic at the time so knew my car was fine! he asked me what speed I was doing so told him and he said I was lying so I laughed at him, which annoyed him! he said he was doing 50 to catch me up to which I replied so? he said I must have been doin 45 more laughter came hisway, I said to him have you got anything in your van that tells you my speed or are you just guesing mine? he told me to watch my speed in future had a quick look round my car and went off in a huff saying we'll have to agree to disagree, so yes some cops are a**holes!! had police threaten me with alsorts when I was younger but I had an interest in any law that could affect me when driving and being a mechanic and boy racer I wantd to know how to stay on the right side of the law. I'm less cocky now though. Cleveland police seem to have an attitude problem, only came accross one nice one twice so far!
Old 02-05-06, 03:01 PM   #22
lew893

younger days? I'm only 26 now! old in the head!
Old 02-05-06, 03:05 PM   #23
Red ones
Mega Poster

I had this once. I was doing "well over 100" I clocked the fact that the PC had to catch up with me and I had backed off when I first saw him. Fortunately I was wide awake even though it was 4am.
"Do you know why I pulled you?"
"Speeding?"
"Yes"
"You were doing well over 100,"
"How fast was I going?"
"Very"
I said "Are you sure?"
His reply? "What type of car is this?"
ready for this?? "It's a diesel Austin Maestro"

(google for the performance figures!)
Red ones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-06, 03:19 PM   #24
Ping

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red ones
I had this once. I was doing "well over 100" I clocked the fact that the PC had to catch up with me and I had backed off when I first saw him. Fortunately I was wide awake even though it was 4am.
"Speeding?"
"Yes"
"How fast was I going?"
"Very"
I said "Are you sure?"

My first car was a petrol austin maestro (1.6)... Felt like it was going to fall apart at 90mph...
Old 02-05-06, 03:30 PM   #25
lukemillar
Mega Poster

Since we are on speeding stories...

I was driving back from work on a saturday evening and my mate Dan, who lived round the corner from me, was following. We crossed a roundabout into the village I lived in and I noticed a police car crossing on the other side. My rear windscreen was caked in crap and I could only make out headlights. I notice 2 headlights pull out and then pull back in again. I think "Dan you idiot, you are never going to overtake me from back there". Actually, it was the police who had come the whole way round the roundabout pulling in between us.

Now on the last road before Dan and I go our separate ways, we often liked to have a bit of a tussle. As soon as we turn, the cars' headlights start to flash. I assume it is Dan up for a race and floor it. It was a 30mph residential area and the car behind me keeps up, continuing to flash his headlights. I get up to about 75 when he sticks his blue lights on.

I pull over and for some reason they pull over Dan as well (even though he hadn't done anything wrong)One policeman lays into Dan big time, shouting at him etc whereas the one talking to me says:

"Do you know how fast you were going?"

"about 30mph!"

"I think you were going a bit faster than that"

Then their radio goes and they have to leg it back to the car and drive off. Didn't even have a chance to give me a warning!

(I was only 17 and a bit of an idiot!)
#24 - Honda VFR400R NC30
lukemillar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-06, 03:33 PM   #26
ryancor

There is no way you will have to fork out for that ticket. When the ticket is issued the Police Officer should give you the choice of accepting the ticket or reporting you on the spot. If the ticket is issued you then have 28 days to pay the fine and 7 days to take your licence to the Police Station (if the PC didn't seize it at the side of the road?). Within that 28 day period you need to contact your local courts (address at the bottom of the ticket) and tell them you intend to dispute the speed. A court date will then be set. IMO it won't even get to court. The local Police's ticket office will gather the evidence, in the form of a statement from the officer, and decide if there is enough evidence to proceed. In this case there is a distinct lack of it. If you do happen to end up in court though then make sure you ask how the officer judged your speed and ask when the last time his speedo was calibrated. I bet it hasn't been done since new, unless it's a traffic car in which case it would have a vascar system and you wouldn't be in this situation. Good luck and let us know how you get on.
Old 02-05-06, 03:36 PM   #27
Flamin_Squirrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red ones
"Speeding?"
"Yes"
"How fast was I going?"
"Very"
I said "Are you sure?"

I vagely remember a story like this. Man arrested for some truely outrageous speed (140mph or something) in a clapped out car clearly incapable of reaching that of which he was accused. Knowing the police were talking ********, he faught it. However the police didn't take it lying down, and before exhonerating himself, he'd had to pay for tests to prove the car couldn't manage the alleged speed, and lost his job in the proccess of defending himself.
Old 02-05-06, 07:27 PM   #28
Stig

Another speeding story,

Was heading home on the A40 back to Wales. It was getting dusk, I had my tinted visor on and had forgot to carry with me the clear one, so wanted to make speed and get home before it got completely dark. I came up to a roundabout at a fair lick ended up directly behind a car. The car went round the roundabout rather slowly and unlucky for me turned onto the same road that I needed.

This road was a 50MPH limit, the road was empty, but this car stuck at exactly 45MPH. I couldn't overtake as there were double white lines and these lines went on for quite a while. Eventually the white lines changed from solid to broken. Dropped a gear and shot off into the distance.

With a glance into my mirror I notice that the car's headlights are still in view. Typical I think, he holds me up for god knows how long and now he wants a race. Not a problem, there are some twisty bits ahead.

Head down into the twisties, check mirror and no sign of headlights. Hah too easy. I ease off as a village is coming up. As I enter the village the headlights of the car reappeared in my mirrors.

Only this time the headlights are flashing alternately and they are accompanied blue flashing lights in the grill. BUGGER!!!

I pulled over in a bus stop and take my helmet off, feeling rather pee'd off. He comes up and says "Are you really trying to tell me that all the time that you were stuck behind me that you did not twig that this was an unmarked car? Did the tell tail signs such as the twin aerials, the two rear view mirrors, not to mention the fluorescent jacket with blue tabs on, really not give you any idea?"

Well they didn't, remember it's getting dusk, I have my tinted visor on and all I'm thinking about is getting home before it gets proper dark and I get pulled for having a dark visor at night.

We discussed (he lectured, I listened) my driving speeds. He was impressed that I had waited until the double white lines had ended before I over took, even though (and we both agreeded) there would have been opportunities that I could have done so safely. Also that even though I was not hanging around in the twisties that I slowed down to the 30MPH limit for the village.

In the end I got 3 points for doing 70MPH in a 50 zone and a £30 fine. We both knew that I was exceeding that speed by considerably more than that. So although I was kicking myself for being so dumb, I was thankful that it was not worse.
Old 02-05-06, 08:55 PM   #29
argatxa

bugger!!! I was stopped a few months ago in the M4..... and today the summoning for the court appearance got into my post....

"103.7 average for a period of 0.3 miles.. ",

and I was planning to go on a two weeks trip to Spain/Portugal with the bike... should I continue with the plan and risking having a ban in the last minute or just throw the trip plan over my shoulder?

bu***r!!

soo.... do I need a lawyer to lessen the inevitable slap on my wrist/license/bank account or am I stuffed straight away?

Old 02-05-06, 08:56 PM   #30
Stingo

Quote:
Originally Posted by socommk23
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattSV
What road was that on?
back of ports down hill! boarhunt road is where i was stopped!
Know it well - used to live in Fareham - would appear as though PC chap didn't get his leg over this weekend!! Not a chance of getting near a ton on that road...in traffic!