SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 19-11-12, 05:43 PM   #21
Bluepete
Mega Poster

Default Re: National Road Safety week - That means speed checks

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarrenSV650S View Post
I wasn't being serious. Just a slightly drunken post. And it wasn't aimed at you at all Pete
Phew!
Bluepete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-12, 06:01 PM   #22
DarrenSV650S
Mega Poster

*hugs*
DarrenSV650S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-12, 06:50 PM   #23
Spank86

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarrenSV650S View Post
I wasn't being serious. Just a slightly drunken post. And it wasn't aimed at you at all Pete
Which reminds me drinking and driving used to be perfectly acceptable. If they changed that with ads I'm sure they can change other stuff.
Old 19-11-12, 06:54 PM   #24
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spank86 View Post
Which reminds me drinking and driving used to be perfectly acceptable. If they changed that with ads I'm sure they can change other stuff.
Well that and almost every group of people I know in their mid 40's or so round here seem to have a few among them who got banned for drink driving.
Old 19-11-12, 07:00 PM   #25
Spank86

Well that was obviously part of it but that could be the same for other offences.
Old 19-11-12, 10:02 PM   #26
-Ralph-

Points, fines, bans and insurance premiums can only work if there is somebody around to impose them, but the powers that be have chosen to make BluePete an endangered species.
Old 20-11-12, 09:50 AM   #27
Dicky Ticker

The speed limits that exist today were set in 1965 with vehicles constructed to a less efficient safety standard,i.e drum brakes were the norm and safety cells,crumple zones didn't exist. Even the safety barriers on our current roads were virtually non existent then.
Perhaps moving into the 21st century would be a step forward.
Old 20-11-12, 10:28 AM   #28
-Ralph-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dicky Ticker View Post
The speed limits that exist today were set in 1965 with vehicles constructed to a less efficient safety standard,i.e drum brakes were the norm and safety cells,crumple zones didn't exist. Even the safety barriers on our current roads were virtually non existent then.
Perhaps moving into the 21st century would be a step forward.
And with the blanket introduction of 50 mph limits across A roads in many counties, and the introduction of variable speed limit systems that get left switched on when the motorways are empty, then in the main the speed limits have only been REDUCED since 1965.

There's a lot of talk about A road speed limits being reduced to 40mph too.

This countries approach to safety is not to improve road layouts, driver behaviour/education, or enforcement, it's to legislate anything dangerous out of existence, then make everything left over go so slow, that even a blind spastic can manage to stop when it goes wrong.

It's totally dumbing down driver ability.

Last edited by -Ralph-; 20-11-12 at 10:29 AM.
Old 20-11-12, 10:56 AM   #29
Spank86

Although back when the speed limits were introduced there was a hell of a lot less traffic about so there is some justification for not having the limits keep pace with cars ability.
Old 20-11-12, 11:00 AM   #30
-Ralph-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spank86 View Post
Although back when the speed limits were introduced there was a hell of a lot less traffic about so there is some justification for not having the limits keep pace with cars ability.
I agree with you, but I don't think the justification is there for reducing speed limits either. It's not speed alone which is causing the accidents.

The governments justification is that statistically if you reduce speed you reduce accidents, which is true, but only because you've made it easier to avoid the real cause of the accident.

So reducing speed is just papering over the cracks.

Lets say you have a car with a turbo hose which keeps popping off under the pressure. The real answer to the problem is to make the turbo hose stronger. All our government would do is leave the turbo hose as it is, but reduce the pressure the turbo connected to it produces.

Last edited by -Ralph-; 20-11-12 at 11:02 AM.