SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 21-02-13, 12:39 PM   #21
Littlepeahead
Mega Poster

Default Re: Wrist pain...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dicky Ticker View Post
Tap the ends of your fingers on the tank every now and then on longer rides,this improves the circulation which might be your problem.Looks a lot less ungainly than flapping your arms like a demented chicken.
I do the chicken flapping thing to stop me getting shoulder and wrist pain - it's much less of a problem on my GS than my SV as it is more upright. It works but you may look a bit daft. Not so good is when you have two way radio on and the person you are riding with hears you singing 'One Day I'll Fly Away....' whilst doing it. I think that and me squeaking along to Prince's Kiss was why we had to dump the Autocom.
Old 21-02-13, 12:55 PM   #22
carelesschucca
Mega Poster

For all of the slagging about the flappy chicken arms it works, if you can't move your arms freely while your riding the bike your holding on too tight, which causes stress on the body.

For any type of road riding you should be able to ride with open fingers and only grip with the hook of your thumb, it did lots of good things for my riding, certainly made me quicker and smoother.

I find that riding the bike using the palms of your hands also means that you have to think about counterstearing properly as you can't use your fingers to pull on the bars, and I found that the feedback you get from the tyre is improved meaning you can once again ride quicker and more confidently...

sv650s (gone) gsx-r600 (gone) Street R675 (now living in Inbhir Nis )
carelesschucca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-13, 01:19 PM   #23
Jammy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brettus View Post
I experienced the usual wrist ache when I first got my SV too, I think it was cured by several factors:
Adjusting the levers, play with a few angles, it isn't always obvious what is "right" for you
Riding more relaxed, I found when I was tense it got worse as I was gripping the bars (I still notice it in cold weather now as I've got heated grips so I grip them for heat and feel my wrist ache again)
Acclimatisation, you get used to that being the normal position, it just takes a little getting used to.

HTH

When i first started i did have a death-grip on the bars. This has now largely gone and i consciously try and loosen my grip when i ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClunkintheUK View Post
I used to get the same in my right thumb/wrist until I moved the brake lever round. Previously it was very difficult to pull my fingers up and over the lever. I was riding with my wrist bent, which was, I think, straining the tendons in my wrist and pulling my thumb out of joint a bit, and forcing my to put my weight on the joint.

Now I can ride with my wrist straight and the weight it taken by the heel of my hand not my thumb joint.

Might have another look at my levers today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geodude View Post
It may well be your fault for being so desirable

aaaanyway i know a bike instructor that tells everyone who rides that gets wrist/arm pain to every now and then flap their arms like a chicken and this relaxes (but makes you look like a mammary) the muscles etc and leaves less chance of pain. Might be worth a try and at least it entertains the rest of the lads if it doesn't work. HTH

I do tend to stretch out and wiggle a bit from time to time :P. But i will give this a try.

Quote:
Originally Posted by specialone View Post
I've had very similar problems when I owned a SV, things I've known to help...

Make sure your gloves and sleeves of your jacket are loose, if they are tight, they restrict blood flow.

Keep your arms bent, forearms must be parallel to the road or as close as you can (you may get lower back pain)

When braking or cornering, grip the tank hard with your knees.

You've tried the adjusting of the levers etc.

Ultimately, i had to change the bike as mine developed into severe shoulder pain which I still get when I'm tense on the bike.

Will have a look at the tight gloves/sleeves thing, havent thought of that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spank86 View Post
I think we need to get gav to go pillion with him and force him to sit straight.

LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by carelesschucca View Post
For all of the slagging about the flappy chicken arms it works, if you can't move your arms freely while your riding the bike your holding on too tight, which causes stress on the body.

For any type of road riding you should be able to ride with open fingers and only grip with the hook of your thumb, it did lots of good things for my riding, certainly made me quicker and smoother.

I find that riding the bike using the palms of your hands also means that you have to think about counterstearing properly as you can't use your fingers to pull on the bars, and I found that the feedback you get from the tyre is improved meaning you can once again ride quicker and more confidently...

Cheers, will try and put this into practise

Thanks for all the help guys! shame that while i type this my thumb and wrist feel tight and painful :/
Old 21-02-13, 01:28 PM   #24
maviczap
Mega Poster

If all the above fails, then get some LSL or Gilles Variobars, as I found that raising the bars higher and having them at less of a steep angle improved my hand and wrist comfort 100%

Gilles are expensive, but better than the LSL bars, as I could adjust them to almost how I wanted them set up. The LSL's are fixed in their position
maviczap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-13, 01:29 PM   #25
Jammy

Do they effect the feel of the bike? like cornering/stability wise?
Old 21-02-13, 01:35 PM   #26
maviczap
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammy View Post
Do they effect the feel of the bike? like cornering/stability wise?
No, in fact because my hands & wrists weren't killing me any more, my bike control was improved.

I just remembered these are another option

http://forums.sv650.org/showthread.php?t=145616
maviczap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-13, 06:20 PM   #27
SIII
Mega Poster

Tank grip pads like Techspec Snakeskin helped me. When braking I could grip the tank with my knees and take a lot of strain off of my wrists. This helped me a lot, as a newbie, cos I hung onto the bike for all my worth.

Was out last week and hands / wrists were aching and realised i was hanging onto the bike, like a newbie, had to make a conscious effort to relax grip.
Old 21-02-13, 10:14 PM   #28
Teejayexc

Quote:
Thanks for all the help guys! shame that while i type this my thumb and wrist feel tight and painful :/
Stop winking whilst you type then !
Teejayexc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-13, 06:21 PM   #29
Jammy

Has Anyone else switched from a sporty bike to an sit up and beg bike and found it made a difference?
Old 22-02-13, 06:25 PM   #30
dizzyblonde
Da Cake Boss
Mega Poster

Yup.....but its kinda obvious riding sitting in a more upright position helps. Doesn't go completely though

Hovis 13.8.75-3.10.09 Reeder 20.7.88-21.3.12
dizzyblonde is offline   Reply With Quote