SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 19-08-11, 12:15 PM   #21
The Idle Biker

Default Re: Scotland trip - luggage advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by rictus01 View Post
not meaning to burst you imaginary bubble, but probably ment "flipflops" I'd guess
Spoiler!
Old 19-08-11, 12:22 PM   #22
rictus01
Mega Poster

Imagination is a wonderful thing mate, and better still you can't get arrested for it....well not yet anyway...
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, 'Wow! What a Ride!
rictus01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-11, 12:49 PM   #23
teddee

Quote:
Originally Posted by rictus01 View Post

On a more serious note, topboxes are practical and as long as weight is kept under control don't effect bike control, Tankbags are probably best in this respect, panniers are OK as long as they weight the same or there abouts, general rules keep as much weight as possible between the axles of the bike and make sure nothing moves.
Mark I totally agree with regard to weight distribution and tank bags are brilliant for keeping that weight forward and between the axles. However they can be restrictive ergonomically for females in that we tend to sit closer to the tank because we don't have any bits to prevent us doing so and at the same time some of us girls have bits that prevent us from leaning over a decent sized tank bag. In fact, my tank bag is a prototype designed by Pacsafe specifically shaped for women Therefore a seat bag that is well designed and well packed achieves both luggage room and weight distribution given the pillion seat is designed to take your average sized human.
Old 19-08-11, 12:58 PM   #24
rictus01
Mega Poster

Oh that's interesting I guess a specially designed one would be a good idea, tank bags also work as a rest at times for long motorway trips, but to be honest like the recent AR trip I didn't need it as I tend to just stick my "journey needed" stuff in it as it's easy to get to on the bike, so it's normally the last thing packed.

Cheers Mark.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, 'Wow! What a Ride!
rictus01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-11, 08:08 PM   #25
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

I'm the same with the tankbag kit. Waterproofs, spare visor, snacks, route info.

Not sure I agree with you ladies about sitting close to the tank "because you can". You get some blokes with some obscure desire to dibble their d*cks in the petrol too, wrong body position is still wrong no matter which set of bits you are rubbing up against it!
Old 20-08-11, 08:13 PM   #26
dizzyblonde
Da Cake Boss
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by teddee View Post
Mark I totally agree with regard to weight distribution and tank bags are brilliant for keeping that weight forward and between the axles. However they can be restrictive ergonomically for females in that we tend to sit closer to the tank because we don't have any bits to prevent us doing so and at the same time some of us girls have bits that prevent us from leaning over a decent sized tank bag. In fact, my tank bag is a prototype designed by Pacsafe specifically shaped for women Therefore a seat bag that is well designed and well packed achieves both luggage room and weight distribution given the pillion seat is designed to take your average sized human.

Well, I dunno how big yer air bags are lass, but I don't have any problem with a big fat tankbag to lean on when I'm on a long slog!!!!

I have seen one of those seat bag jobbies, on the back of a Raptor belonging to a lady friend of mine, I quite like the idea, but they're a kind of crossover between tail pack and panniers are they not(or has she got something nobody else has seen)? Never been keen on panniers but love tailpacks. Don't carry pillions you see

Hovis 13.8.75-3.10.09 Reeder 20.7.88-21.3.12

Last edited by dizzyblonde; 20-08-11 at 08:16 PM.
dizzyblonde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-11, 10:37 PM   #27
teddee

on some bikes I probably could manage with a larger tank bag but on the SVS I can't reach over or around a full tank bag comfortably enough to travel any distance—and that's with bar risers. Maybe it does have something to do with air bag size and the length of my arms but given that's something I can't mod, I don't really know.

As for sitting too far forward, I don't press into the tank, I just sit where my bum fits and where my arms reach comfortably...too far back, I don't have the flexibility and I'm no longer using my core strength and too close the whole ergonomics is wrong and everything is in the wrong place including my legs.

The seat bag I've got has a top compartment ideal for my wet weathers and on the road bits. It's also got a couple of side pockets ideal for the smaller bits n pieces. It's the one in the pic above. It's probably performed over 6000 miles of road trips by now. Bonus's include a tamperproof mesh lining, it's 100% waterproof and locks to the bike. I use packing cells from the adventure shop to pack so when I get to a destination, I can just pull out the cells I need for the night and leave the locked bag on the bike—less to do in the morning

Maybe I'm just special too