SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 01-06-11, 02:08 PM   #21
dcv86

Default Re: Another new member

hello from a fellow noob

I've just done my DAS and passed my test last week, and i must say, the SV is AMAZING fun
Old 01-06-11, 03:02 PM   #22
WayneL

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcv86 View Post
hello from a fellow noob

I've just done my DAS and passed my test last week, and i must say, the SV is AMAZING fun
Congratulations mate. How did you find the learning experience?

I can only imagine how good it feels to get out on your own for the first time.

When I was first thinking about a bike, I always assumed you had to either go for a sports bike and risk losing the bike or you life within a week, or get some tiny engined bike that you would outgrow in a week. How wrong was I? From the write ups I have seen it sounds like the SV will do everything I am after. I can't wait.

Cheers,
Wayne
Old 01-06-11, 03:50 PM   #23
dcv86

Cheers bud. The learning experience was a really good one for me. My instructor was a really nice bloke and we basically had a right laugh from start to finish.

Getting out on your own for the first time was the best feeling, although slightly odd not having the instructor's voice telling you where to go and to "stop checking so much, there's no need" haha

I think it comes down to the rider rather than the bike for your first one. I go riding with a mate of mine who passed his test about 4 months ago, his first bike is GSXR600, whereas one of his mates got a Daytona 955 for his first bike lol.

I highly recommend the SV. You will fall in love with all the torque it has. When i'm out with my mate on the gixxer, during full throttle overtakes the SV is quicker. I usually have to back off slightly to stop myself plowing into the back of him

The SV is also a doddle to ride
Old 01-06-11, 04:09 PM   #24
WayneL

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcv86 View Post
Cheers bud. The learning experience was a really good one for me. My instructor was a really nice bloke and we basically had a right laugh from start to finish.

Getting out on your own for the first time was the best feeling, although slightly odd not having the instructor's voice telling you where to go and to "stop checking so much, there's no need" haha

I think it comes down to the rider rather than the bike for your first one. I go riding with a mate of mine who passed his test about 4 months ago, his first bike is GSXR600, whereas one of his mates got a Daytona 955 for his first bike lol.

I highly recommend the SV. You will fall in love with all the torque it has. When i'm out with my mate on the gixxer, during full throttle overtakes the SV is quicker. I usually have to back off slightly to stop myself plowing into the back of him

The SV is also a doddle to ride
Nice, I can't wait.

Cheers,
Wayne
Old 01-06-11, 04:13 PM   #25
keithd

he he you said member
Old 05-06-11, 03:07 PM   #26
appollo1
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneL View Post
The test here is extremely easy as the drivig standards are so low here, no Highway code etc. Incorrect - you still have to answer questions on the Highway Code, they even ask the questions on the countdown markers to railway crossings - weird considering there are no trains in Cyprus

I am in Akrotiri so I spoke to the driving school here and the woman explained how it works. You have a couple of lessons on a 250cc then go straight onto an 800cc, then when you are ready you do your test. That's it, no CBT etc etc. Because Cyprus is part of the EU, you just apply to the DVLA once you have passed and they transfer it over to your UK licence unrestricted. When i did my test through Anthoulla driving school at Aki in 2003 prior to Cyprus joining the EU i did lessons on a 250cc for a week then sat my test which lasted no more than about 3 minutes. I had a few questions on the highway code then walking pace beside the examiner for about 50 metres, figure of 8 around cones then around the driving centre building to do an emergency stop where i had to lock up the back wheel and do a nice straight skid line. Test passed.

This is what got me in the mindest to finally do my test. I was all excited until I phoned the actual instructor (rather than a clerk). He confrmed that everything the clerk had said was true, but she left one key element out. You have to have been resident for 6 months before you can take the test. Shame. must be a new rule since they joined the EU as lots of folk on detachments were doing there tests when i was there.

Apparently the test is just driving around the block and through a few cones, so it's nice and easy. see my comment above about my test

I might still see if I can at least take lessons so I have a bit of experience before the DAS. There is a chance I might be here a bit longer than 6 months. So I coud maybe take my test then, but we'll see. try the bike club if it is still open on a thursday night and see if you can get a few lessons with them.

Cheers,
Wayne
Within 6 months of passing my test in Cyprus there was a civvy copper who was a friend of one of the guys from the bike club and he as an IAM examiner. I did lots of lessons through the bike club to get up to IAM standard and i lerant a hell of a lot through them which enabled me to pass my IAM test.

http://www.german-shepherd-rescue-scotland.org.uk/ everyone deserves a second chance

RIP Appollo miss you and will always love you x x x x
appollo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-11, 06:24 PM   #27
WayneL

Quote:
Originally Posted by appollo1 View Post
Within 6 months of passing my test in Cyprus there was a civvy copper who was a friend of one of the guys from the bike club and he as an IAM examiner. I did lots of lessons through the bike club to get up to IAM standard and i lerant a hell of a lot through them which enabled me to pass my IAM test.
Yeah I read on their website that non-members can turn up at their club house and meet with members. I'll bob along when I am free.

I have thought about doing a Direct Access course for ages, but our unit is terrible for cancelling leave, so I just can't risk booking it. Hopefully POTL will be a good time to do it though if I don't manage to do it out here.

Cheers,
Wayne
Old 13-03-12, 10:31 PM   #28
WayneL

It's been a while since my last post as I've been busy away.

Anyway, I've finally moved back to the UK so I can start the process of getting my bike licence.

I moved back a week ago and completed my CBT today (The wife wasn't too happy with me having a whole day off unpacking moving boxes ), but I'll make it up to her.

I really enjoyed the day. I wouldn't have thought you could have so much fun on a 125 that's been abused for it's whole life, but it was a good laugh.

The ride out didn't go to plan though. There were 2 of us plus the instructor. The other lad was 16 years old and on a moped. He was just a bag of nerves and did not know the highway code at all. Once the instructor was happy with the way I rode he let the moped kid (Sounds like a crappy super-hero name ) go out ahead. He was all over the road and quite frankly a danger to everyone. I felt really bad for him when he didn't pass the CBT, but his riding was terrible to be fair.

The only thing I really struggled with (apart from being 17 stone on a bike with the same power as a cordless drill with a flat battery) was getting the odd neutral instead of second.

When we got back and everyone had left the instructor let me have 10 minutes of practice on a GS500 round their off road car park so I could feel the difference (Jolly nice of him I thought). I honestly thought I'd find it intimidating, but I found it far easier to ride with more weight underneath me as I wasn't so top heavy.

Cheers,
Wayne
Old 13-03-12, 10:38 PM   #29
Stuuk1

When I did my CBT, I, in all honesty, had one of the best days of my life!

Never ridden a bike and met a guy there who we had a good laugh all day, good for you! The GS500 is a great bike, I did my DAS on that to.

Also, you profile says you are from Aldershot.. Get that DAS booked up asap!
Old 13-03-12, 10:41 PM   #30
WayneL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuuk1 View Post
When I did my CBT, I, in all honesty, had one of the best days of my life!

Never ridden a bike and met a guy there who we had a good laugh all day, good for you! The GS500 is a great bike, I did my DAS on that to.

Also, you profile says you are from Aldershot.. Get that DAS booked up asap!
Yeah I have never ridden at all before today. I loved it. I'm going to try and book some DAS action tomorrow.