SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 14-06-08, 04:43 PM   #21
northwind
Mega Poster

Default Re: At least the Irish have the guts

1 and 3 aren't They're about the general voting system. 2 5 and 6 are the troublesome ones, 1 and 3 are just changes to the way they do things, not changes to what they can do.
But we're oh so easily swayed"
northwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-08, 05:04 PM   #22
Baph

1) Majority voting - 55% required majority for certain aspects of the EU, which at the moment, require a unamimous vote. In future, this could be used to push through changes to the EU's powers etc, and if we vote no, we may be among the 45%.

3) If the UK looses it's veto (over anything), combined with #1, again, we can't stop legislation being forced upon us.

You said 6 was troublesome (lack of representation), but surely if our votes are not taken account of fully, then we're not being rightfully represented.

The "Majority voting" issue is one whereby the heads of governments decided (not the people) if a majority is OK rather than unanimous decision, ie, the government decides if it wants the possibility of being walked all over in the future. This is not a case by case decision, if it were, it wouldn't be an issue.

The issue only exists if (for example) the EU asks everyone "do you accept a majority vote in terms of minimum fuel duty (to take something topical)?". Our government then say "Yeah, no problem, we'll go with the flow." Next thing you know 55% of the EU pass a move to up "green tax" on fuel to £2/litre just to be eco-friendly.

OK, so I'm vastly exagerating, but that's the issue with "Majority voting."
Old 14-06-08, 05:13 PM   #23
northwind
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baph View Post
OK, so I'm vastly exagerating, but that's the issue with "Majority voting."
What, that it's democratic? In what way does majority voting not take into account people's votes fully? Vetos undermine people's votes. You can't expect to always get your own way in any group larger than you.
But we're oh so easily swayed"

Last edited by northwind; 14-06-08 at 05:25 PM.
northwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-08, 05:21 PM   #24
Filipe M.

All I know is our PM, Socrates, was utterly ****ed off at the Irish "no". And that can only be a good thing
Old 14-06-08, 08:07 PM   #25
Flamin_Squirrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by northwind View Post
What, that it's democratic? In what way does majority voting not take into account people's votes fully? Vetos undermine people's votes. You can't expect to always get your own way in any group larger than you.
It's not 'peoples' votes though is it, it's their government. I know we elect MPs to represent us so really, we don't as people have a vote, but the more layers of government you have the more opportunity for political meddling occurs.

The fact of the matter is though that Europe is profoundly corrupt. IIRC not once in the many many years that the EU has been going have accountants signed off the books. Millions (billions?) of pounds go 'missing' every year, and no-one seems to see this as any kind of problem.
Old 14-06-08, 08:35 PM   #26
punyXpress
Mega Poster

[quote=Baph;1538532]1) Majority voting - 55% required majority for certain aspects of the EU, which at the moment, require a unamimous vote. In future, this could be used to push through changes to the EU's powers etc, and if we vote no, we may be among the 45%.

Is that similar to what happened in the Eurovision - we was well shafted & that might just be to familiarise ourselves with what living under the EU will be like.
punyXpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-08, 10:36 PM   #27
Davido

Snore.