SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 01-12-06, 09:04 AM   #21
keithd

where are my manners! congratulations on the job

huge expansion programme for the airport, you've joined at a good time. the next 25 years will see the place quadrupled in size.

that may be an influence on where you buy too!
Old 01-12-06, 09:30 AM   #22
timwilky
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattSV
Quote:
Originally Posted by timwilky
Do what my cousin did. Buy a place in Jersey, and fly to Eastleigh every day.
I have thought about going out to Jersey to work, however Jersey laws no longer allow non-residents to purchase property, unless they have stacks of cash, and renting there is probably on a par with central London. I would get accomodation with the job however it would be a poxy little flat somewhere. Plus I don't think my bike could cope with the 40mph speed limit there!

Flying in and out of Jersey is great - apart from the fog which can shut the whole airport down

As much as 40mph. My cousin eventually split from his missus. and now has a place on Sark. Something to do with the people to pubs ratio and the speed you can drive a tractor at. (If he owned one)
Old 19-12-06, 12:42 AM   #23
tigersaw
Mega Poster

Any comments on Rownhams as a place to live?
tigersaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-06, 07:58 AM   #24
mattSV
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigersaw
Any comments on Rownhams as a place to live?
Rownhams is not a bad area - similar to Chandlers Ford, the newer estates in Rownhams are quite similar to Grange Park in Hedge End.
2013 - 2016 Triumph Explorer 1200
2016 - Ducati Multistrada DVT S
mattSV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-06, 08:26 AM   #25
keithd

might i be so bold as to suggest if you're going to look at rownhams, to ignore that particular dump and move a couple of miles along to North Baddesley.

imho rownhams isn't that nice.
Old 19-12-06, 08:53 AM   #26
RingDing

I grew up in Romsey, about 20 minutes drive from the airport IIRC. Lovely little town, no idea what property rpices are like but there are some newer estates within walking distance of the town center for pubs and grub etc.

If you want to be closer then Chandlers Ford has some nice bits. Never really got to know North Baddesly very well despite going college at Barton Peveril.

The Cricketers used to be a good pub for a bike meet, can't remember the name of the road but is very close to the college.

Congrats on the job!

3x Honda C110 - phut-phut-phut
KTM Duke 690 - brum-braaaaaaa!!!!!
BSA C25 - brum-braa-braa
RD350LC Ring-ding-phut-clatter-££££££
RingDing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-06, 10:38 AM   #27
tigersaw
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithd
might i be so bold as to suggest if you're going to look at rownhams, to ignore that particular dump and move a couple of miles along to North Baddesley.

I wasn't considering it especially, just that a house adjoining the Rownhams House estate has turned up, looks suitable. Hedge End is current favorite.

Thanks for all the congrats from you all. I will be meeting a new crowd next year...
Old 19-12-06, 10:51 AM   #28
Ceri JC

Traffic is an absolute nightmare in that neck of the woods. I'd only take a job round there if they were okay with me commuting by bike.
Old 19-12-06, 10:53 AM   #29
tigersaw
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceri JC
Traffic is an absolute nightmare in that neck of the woods. I'd only take a job round there if they were okay with me commuting by bike.
ahh, thats the sort of info i need. Do you mean in peak hours? Or are you referring to the M27, which sucks wherever you come and go from along that lower stretch?
Old 19-12-06, 10:56 AM   #30
keithd

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigersaw
Quote:
Originally Posted by keithd

I wasn't considering it especially, just that a house adjoining the Rownhams House estate has turned up, looks suitable. Hedge End is current favorite.

Thanks for all the congrats from you all. I will be meeting a new crowd next year...
hedge end is a nice area. from the budget you have am i to assume you're not going to get a place on Grange Park? Altho there are some fairly decent sized gaffs on there. nice pub in amongst it too, the Shamblehurst.