SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 05-07-05, 05:45 PM   #21
CoolGirl

Default Re: Should I avoid a 'Cat D' listed bike?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cronos
I've come across what strikes me as the perfect bike at a good price.
Aren't you gonna tell us what it is then? and what does the future hold for your lovely silver pointy?

I was told that if the tank on my bike had been harmed then it'd have been a Cat D write off, and I'd have took the cash and bought it back. As it was, it was plenty roadworthy once it was fixed and you wouldn't have known the differnence.
Old 05-07-05, 06:09 PM   #22
H62

Just to add to what has already been said.

Some insurance companies may ask you to get an independent engineers report carried out on the bike before they decide to offer you insurance.
Old 05-07-05, 06:45 PM   #23
kwak zzr

friend of mine has a cat d vfr750 which came with an engineers report but just insured it as normal and never told them about the catorgory.
Old 05-07-05, 07:09 PM   #24
Cronos

Default Re: Should I avoid a 'Cat D' listed bike?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolGirl
Aren't you gonna tell us what it is then? and what does the future hold for your lovely silver pointy?
Looking at a few options, but I'm keeping quiet until I do a deal. Don't want to jinx myself!
Old 05-07-05, 09:05 PM   #25
Sid Squid
No, I don't lend tools.
Mega Poster

There are five categories of write off, (total loss insurance claim).

A. This means it's so badly damaged that it must be destroyed with a certificate proving this has been done.

B. Can be broken up and any good bits re-used.

C. Is when the bike has so little value that any repair would be uneconomic.

D. Write-offs are uneconomic to repair using new bits and with professional labour rates, but there's no bar to repairing this yourself with new or used spares.

F. Fire. If you've ever seen a bike that's been burnt it won't need explaining, even if at first it doesn't look that bad there's often a bit of damage to everything, there's rarely much left that's usable.
If an SV650 has a flat tyre in the forest and no-one is there to blow it up, how long will it be 'til someone posts that the reg/rec is duff and the world will end unless a CBR unit is fitted? A little bit of knowledge = a dangerous thing.

"a deathless anthem of nuclear-strength romantic angst"
Sid Squid is offline   Reply With Quote