SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 07-10-07, 07:59 AM   #21
wheelnut

Default Re: Which boots?

Its probably way too late now. but leathers and boots should be tried on a motorbike in the shop. I have a pair of waterproof oxtars and a pair of Sidi Verts.

I cannot ride properly with the oxtars because of the shape although they are very comfy to walk in.

I think any riding kit even helmets have to be bought while you have a motorcycle with you or can use one in a shop.

If they wont let you sit on one, walk away and dont give them your hard earned, go somewhere that will
Old 07-10-07, 08:41 AM   #22
Ceri JC

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelnut View Post

If they wont let you sit on one, walk away and dont give them your hard earned, go somewhere that will
To be fair, I've yet to come across a store that won't let you do this. Most of them know full well that if they don't, there's little incentive for you to not just buy it online for less.
Old 07-10-07, 08:45 PM   #23
Tim in Belgium

Don't buy HG Race boots, mine developed a split in the flex panel after about 6 months. It now lets in the lighteast of showers.
Old 07-10-07, 09:18 PM   #24
northwind
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_lone_wolf View Post
same feedback from me, had them for what must be over 3500 miles now and they've kept the water from a few downpours out nicely,
To be fair though, that's practically no miles at all, a good pair of boots has a lifespan of tens of thousands of miles. My scabby Vertebra 2 summer boots (non-waterproof) have about 30000 miles on them, 5 crashes I reckon, including one from about 80mph when I got confused while sliding and tried to stand up while still sliding on my bum at 30mph They look like **** but they still work, and they've got as many miles left in them I reckon unless I destroy them.
But we're oh so easily swayed"
northwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-07, 10:14 PM   #25
Tim in Belgium

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim in Belgium View Post
It now lets in the lighteast of showers.
And the lightwest....
Old 07-10-07, 10:32 PM   #26
therealvw

Yep I tried some Oxstar, and they fitted well. But in the end I went with Alpinestar SMX goretex. Good fit, waterproof too.

fairly expensive, but worth the money.
Old 08-10-07, 06:12 AM   #27
Lozzo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceri JC View Post
To be fair, I've yet to come across a store that won't let you do this. Most of them know full well that if they don't, there's little incentive for you to not just buy it online for less.
I know plenty of shops that will, most Hein Gerickes for a start, and GLF Accessories in Flitwick, Beds (he's a Daytona boots dealer)
Old 08-10-07, 06:20 AM   #28
Ceri JC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lozzo View Post
I know plenty of shops that will, most Hein Gerickes for a start, and GLF Accessories in Flitwick, Beds (he's a Daytona boots dealer)
Dunno if you misread my post (or if you're just reinforcing it), but every shop I have been to has let me try stuff on then sat on my bike, even to the point of letting me see if soft luggage/bar muffs etc. fit my bike in the carpark.
Old 08-10-07, 06:22 AM   #29
Lozzo

Quote:
Originally Posted by northwind View Post
To be fair though, that's practically no miles at all, a good pair of boots has a lifespan of tens of thousands of miles. My scabby Vertebra 2 summer boots (non-waterproof) have about 30000 miles on them, 5 crashes I reckon, including one from about 80mph when I got confused while sliding and tried to stand up while still sliding on my bum at 30mph They look like **** but they still work, and they've got as many miles left in them I reckon unless I destroy them.
That's pretty much the story with my Daytona Roadstar GTXs. They're a bloody expensive boot and I got them because they're what the Met Police and our local force wear out of preference. They're pressed into service in winter or on days when I want an all-day comfy boot on for lots of walking around, like the BMF Show. When they get a bit knackered I can have them totally rebuilt/resoled/re-gore texed inside and out by the factory, for 60% of the price of new boots. 5 years and 60 odd thousand miles later and they're still good, still waterproof too, so the rebuild has been put back another year.

When I bought them I looked at Altbergs, but the guy at their shop was rude and their boots looked like something Herman Munster would wear. Altberg's delivery times were a bit slow and their prices didn't make much economic sense when I could buy good looking off the shelf Daytonas for much less.