SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Soho Massive For the London based SV owners

Old 18-02-08, 10:34 PM   #21
Sid Squid
No, I don't lend tools.
Mega Poster

Default Re: Good Riding Roads?

Gravel is fun!

I like a variety of roads, I get bored going quickly on long swoopy ones for too long though, small twisty stuff is my favourite - makes you think and makes you a better rider all round.
If an SV650 has a flat tyre in the forest and no-one is there to blow it up, how long will it be 'til someone posts that the reg/rec is duff and the world will end unless a CBR unit is fitted? A little bit of knowledge = a dangerous thing.

"a deathless anthem of nuclear-strength romantic angst"
Sid Squid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-08, 11:00 PM   #22
TSM
The Sick Man
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sid Squid View Post
Gravel is fun!

I like a variety of roads, I get bored going quickly on long swoopy ones for too long though, small twisty stuff is my favourite - makes you think and makes you a better rider all round.
agreed, ryan and i had some good fun on a couple of gravley roads on sunday, bit cold though.
GONE: SV650S K2 Very Bruised & Without Fairing, Motovation Frame Sliders, R&G Ally Sprocket Toe Protector, HEL 2 Line Setup, GSXR K1 600 RWU Forks, Barnett Clutch & Springs, Penske 8981 Shock, Gilles Ti Rearsets, Steel Barends, Scottoiler, AFAM Chain & Sprockets, Twin FIAMM Horns, Skidmarx Bellypan, Full Micron Zeta Steel System, Cut down undertay.

Forum Problems & Information / Site Suggestions
TSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-08, 07:56 AM   #23
Alpinestarhero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sid Squid View Post
Gravel is fun!

I like long sweepers because of being restricted - keeping up a good average speed feels nice; I would like tight stuff more if I could get a good punch out of the turns and not loose my dad completly after 3 corners

It would be good to get on some tight roads though, I have a problem with braking and turning in (as in, I brake too early and take three goes to turn in), so something tight might help with this...

Thanks for your suggestiomns so far peoples, I am looking towards the oxford direction for some good roads (i had a hunch there might be something north of me)

Matt
Old 19-02-08, 04:08 PM   #24
Spiderman
Where the hell am I?
Mega Poster

See i told you some more knowledgeable types would come along and give you the info (rushes off to copy it all down for himself too)
AlpineCarStereo: you win ....... eeerrr ..... ummm ..... my undying support of you, the greatest Mod this forum has ever known. My Leige. davepreston: i bow to your modding godliness. vixis: He's this really cute Persian tea-boy, Im so not giving you his number :P
Spiderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-08, 06:06 PM   #25
Lozzo

Go out of Enfield on the A10, stay on it all the way past Ware, Hertford etc until you get to Buntingford, then take the A507 at the second roundabout towards Baldock.

If you can't have a good time on that road then motorcycling is not for you. Give up and buy golf clubs or knitting patterns.

From Baldock head up the A1 to Biggleswade, at the first roundabout on the A1 take the 2nd exit towards the town centre and up to the small roundabout on the industrial estate, straight over that to the next one and turn right towards Dunton and Eyeworth. Keep on that main road but mind the beautiful S bend between Eyeworth and Wrestlingworth, from there on it's fast sweepers all the way to the A10 where you can either head straight back home or stop at the Silver Ball Cafe, on the A10 just outside Royston, for breakfast.
Old 19-02-08, 06:12 PM   #26
Lozzo

Oxfordshire area...A413 out of Aylesbury to Buckingham, Buckingham to Bicester, Bicester on the A41 to the A4011, A4011 to Thame, straight over roundabout by the Little Chef and skirt the town, leave Thame on the A4012 to Postcombe. Eat breakfast at the Englands Rose Pub in Postcombe, turn round and do it in reverse. From Enfield getting to Aylesbury is a bit of a drag, but worth it once you're there.
Old 19-02-08, 08:34 PM   #27
Treacle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lozzo View Post
Go out of Enfield on the A10, stay on it all the way past Ware, Hertford etc until you get to Buntingford, then take the A507 at the second roundabout towards Baldock.

If you can't have a good time on that road then motorcycling is not for you. Give up and buy golf clubs or knitting patterns.

The good man here talks sense.
Old 19-02-08, 09:48 PM   #28
Cazza

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treacle View Post
The good man here talks sense.
Oh yes. The Road to Buntingford. One of my favourites.
Old 19-02-08, 10:12 PM   #29
Lozzo

I grew up just a short way from the A507, so it's kinda been my playground for 30 odd years - that and the B660 out of Bedford all the way up to Peterboghorror.

That 660 is famous for being one of the most challenging of all East Anglia's roads and used by EMAP journos on a regular basis as part of their handling test routes. I've only ever crashed on the 660 once, and that was on a CB250RS when I ran out of ground clearance and ended up leaping a ditch and a hedge into a field - I rode the lightly bent bike out via a gate about 150 yards away, covered from head to foot in mud.
Old 19-02-08, 11:00 PM   #30
chris8886
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpinestarhero View Post
I like long sweepers because of being restricted - keeping up a good average speed feels nice; I would like tight stuff more if I could get a good punch out of the turns and not loose my dad completly after 3 corners

It would be good to get on some tight roads though, I have a problem with braking and turning in (as in, I brake too early and take three goes to turn in), so something tight might help with this...

Thanks for your suggestiomns so far peoples, I am looking towards the oxford direction for some good roads (i had a hunch there might be something north of me)

Matt
you my friend need to get yourself booked onto a trackday sharpish (if you haven't already booked the silverstone one)!! despite it being a quick track (i myself am also restricted!!), i know it's going to teach me many lessons (other than falling off thank you, i've learnt that one ), just as lydden did i can't wait!!
Daytona 675: Arrow can (with a baffle that's gone missing in action....), quickshifter, shorty levers, custom paintjob
chris8886 is offline   Reply With Quote