SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 30-01-11, 10:07 PM   #21
Milky Bar Kid

Default Re: Ford Focus or something else?

My pal had an X reg 1.8 Focus and recently obtained an 06 ST-3 which is the 2.5 with 225 bhp and she says that she gets almost the same mileage, she currently gets an average of 27mpg.
Old 30-01-11, 10:37 PM   #22

had two of them, both 55 plates, the 1.6 was a terrible engine, the 2.0 auto is brill, its catherines car,

they are built to a price,
they are pretty robust,
They are cheap to repair
They are cheap to service,

Insurance is acceptable and with decent tyres they handle really well,

I paid 6k for a 55 plate with 17k on it leather, sat nav fully loaded,

I forget I nice it is to drive till I get back in it..

Best luck shopping,
Old 30-01-11, 11:38 PM   #23
sauluk

I had a 53 plate 'ebony' a while back. Black 3dr with full leather. Cracking car, I loved it
Was: Blue SK5
Was: KMX125.. stolen..
sauluk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-11, 09:38 AM   #24
Jimmy2Feet

i had a 57 plate, 1.8 DTCI, titanium, great car, used to hit 50mpg no issue. more than fast enough for a car. i loved it, then since getting a new job 2 years ago i have been getting a string of company cars, mostly focus' i have had most of the specs not apart from ST. what i would say is.....

all the petrol ones i have driven, (1.6/1.8 & 2.0) the 1.6 &1.8 are both a little sluggish to be honest, once you get going fine, but not the best, also the MPG was awful never got above 30 average.

the Diesel however, great, mine was the 1.8 had about 50mpg average, and had good poke to it, lovely engine for what it is.

The 1.6 to be honest you cant really notice much difference in power or performance, the one i have now is the 1.6, don't need to change down to get up hills on motorway etc like some of the smaller engines. and if you drive sensible you can easily average 60mpg.

The biggest down side IMO, is that they are all made on the cheap side. cheap plastics inside, the road noise in the back is very obvious, but am happy to put up with that as the rest of the car is great.

I have the next focus coming on Wednesday. 1.6 zetec this time, and then i am going to try the new astra, hopefully of that as they are a nice looking car now, and the spec looks good, if the insignia is anything to go off should be OK!
Old 31-01-11, 09:50 AM   #25
kwak zzr

i really rate them! ive owned and driven allsorts and my old 2001 1.8 zetec focus was the only car that was trouble free for 3 years, didnt cost me a penny, i sold it to a work mate who has had it for 4 years now and still with no problems.
Old 31-01-11, 10:35 AM   #26
Specialone

What about one of these ?

YouTube Video
Error: If you cannot see this video, then either YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed to play it.
Old 31-01-11, 12:57 PM   #27
AndyBrad

ive got a 2005/6 focus, missus has an astra (after i obviously had my rose tinted glasses on from when i used to have one before) and she drives a 2003 focus.

the focus is a vastly superior car in every aspect. without question. the only issue is you will pay a lot more for one over an astra. Also theres a lot of bad ones out there. i viewed 30 cars before i got mine and it was the first one that hadnt seen paint! look at them with open eyes!!

the 2003 one out lass has is a desiel. Last one she ahd has 160k on the clock. this ones low milage at 95k i think! and its still better than the astra thats got 53k on it.
Old 01-02-11, 08:22 AM   #28
Amplimator

Just a quickie to say thanks for all your advice! It was a well looked after low mileage example with exceptional service history. Payed a deposit and should pick it up one evening this week, pics to follow!

Cheers.
Old 01-02-11, 10:39 AM   #29
Luckypants
Mega Poster

Great news, happy motoring!

This thread has been useful for me as well, been thinking of a Focus myself.
Snow Plough Appreciation Society - Member #3

Luckypants is offline   Reply With Quote