SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 22-04-11, 03:54 AM   #21
BanannaMan

Default Re: Decision of the Day...

I've been known (on several occasions) to take off tyres that were close just to have fresh rubber for a rideout but you have plenty of tyre left there. No worries as to it wearing out.
As others have said, go enjoy the weekend.
Take the easy way home on the motorway and get new tyres fitted once you get back home.

"The Mountains are calling and I must go"

Last edited by BanannaMan; 22-04-11 at 03:55 AM.
BanannaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-11, 06:59 AM   #22
Lozzo

Quote:
Originally Posted by BanannaMan View Post
I've been known (on several occasions) to take off tyres that were close just to have fresh rubber for a rideout but you have plenty of tyre left there. No worries as to it wearing out.
As others have said, go enjoy the weekend.
Take the easy way home on the motorway and get new tyres fitted once you get back home.
I agree. It's not worth putting fresh tyres on and then squaring them off on the trip to Wales and back. If you have enough tread depth make the most of it and round the tyre back to a normal profile on the rideout through the twisty bits.

When you get home you can fit new tyres if you're still not happy with them.
Old 22-04-11, 08:15 AM   #23
-Ralph-

Loads of tread left on them Fenjer, you don't need a new tyre, look at it again after ARTNW

In general though, I wouldn't recommend anyone do England/Scotland kind of distance rideout on tyres that are coming to the end of their life. There, back, and the ride out is generally 1000 miles, which is 1/4 of the life of a rear tyre! I think every GM so far, at least one person has needed to get a tyre half way through the trip, either planned, or in an emergency because they didn't realise they needed a 1/4 of a tyre for the trip, and the steel belt poked through.
Old 22-04-11, 02:24 PM   #24
JamesMio
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Ralph- View Post
1000 miles, which is 1/4 of the life of a rear tyre!
Not on that thing of mine it aint... more like 2k, 3k at a push if I've been very well behaved.

I'd imagine the big Daytona is going to be fairly similar?

Creatomatic
JamesMio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-11, 06:18 PM   #25
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

Quote:
Loads of tread left on them Fenjer, you don't need a new tyre, look at it again after ARTNW

In general though, I wouldn't recommend anyone do England/Scotland kind of distance rideout on tyres that are coming to the end of their life. There, back, and the ride out is generally 1000 miles, which is 1/4 of the life of a rear tyre! I think every GM so far, at least one person has needed to get a tyre half way through the trip, either planned, or in an emergency because they didn't realise they needed a 1/4 of a tyre for the trip, and the steel belt poked through.
Me included, we wouldn't have got to do the applecross bit if not for davepreston lending us a tyre.

Turns out my estimation of "be right" based on normal mileage was not valid when riding flat out, 2 up.
Old 22-04-11, 06:36 PM   #26
Lozzo

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesMio View Post
Not on that thing of mine it aint... more like 2k, 3k at a push if I've been very well behaved.

I'd imagine the big Daytona is going to be fairly similar?
Michelin Pilot Road 2s lasted 8K rear and 12K front on my 2004 Daytona 955i, and I'm not kind to my bikes. It really shocked me, because the BT014s I was using before that were absolutely bolloxed in 3K miles tops. I didn't notice any lack of grip from the Michelins either, in fact the bike was much more stable mid corner on them and gave me far more confidence in wet conditions.
Old 22-04-11, 06:39 PM   #27
-Ralph-

Yep, it depends on the tyre. If I put a sports touring tyre it will last longer, a sports tyre it will last less. I got about 4500 out of the Pirelli Diablo Strada's on the SV.
Old 22-04-11, 06:53 PM   #28
Lozzo

Quote:
Yep, it depends on the tyre. If I put a sports touring tyre it will last longer, a sports tyre it will last less. I got about 4500 out of the Pirelli Diablo Strada's on the SV.
That's about what I got from them on SV and Versys. I've found most modern sports touring tyres to be as long lasting as the most concrete from a few years ago (Mich Macadam), but with the grip (and more) of some of the best sports tyres from the same era (BT014). They've come a long way in the last 10 years, that's for sure.

The rear Pirelli Angel ST I have on my bike at the mo has been on for 5000 miles, it's half worn and not really squared off. I've done 4500 of those miles at 80-90 mph on European motorways so you'd expect it to be trashed but it's not. The front is a Diablo Strada, it's done 8000 miles, has a plug and 3mm of tread left. It's staying on til it's bald.