SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 15-12-07, 10:05 PM   #21
tigersaw
Mega Poster

Default Re: Tom Tom or Garmin? Your Comments Please...

I bought a tomtom one xl from ****y world yesterday, I have to say its really nice. Connect to the pc and it downloads updates without a fuss, nice big clear screen, loud as you like, and smooth opeartion, no jerkyness. Looking on the net, there is plenty of third party software for it too - I've downloaded a background utility that records all your journeys for later perusal.
tigersaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-07, 10:09 PM   #22
embee
Mega Poster

I've only ever used the Garmin Zumo 550 in anger. It's not without a few issues to be aware of but it really is a great tool, and the Zumo users site mentioned earlier is excellent, don't know if there's an equivalent for TomToms.

The screen is pretty good even in bright sunshine, and use with bike gloves on is a breeze. Mp3 player is nice. Bluetooth isn't stereo. Use it as a photo slideshow player etc.

I've only had the split rubber flap problem and some crackly audio. The Garmin customer service is pretty darned good by most measures, I had a replacement bike cradle in 3 days which has since been 100%.

Directions are excellent, they change in detail as you approach roundabouts etc. You can set all sorts of stuff to customise (distance for warnings, download database so it tells you what type of speed camera is ahead etc.)
Prices are now getting sensible (£100 less than I paid a year ago ).
Old 16-12-07, 09:32 AM   #23
wheelnut

Well, Im home, although it wasnt the brains of the TomTom. I went to France with the sat nav covered up like you would a homing pigeon.

When I turned it on in Le Havre and gave it a destination, it screamed and squawked and told me to go back to England and try again. Actually it worked out a route through some dubious country lanes and totally refused to recognise the Tankerville bridge. Eventually it picked up the motorway to Rouen and than tried to take me past the docks and through the City, It did find the address I was loading at but tried to send me through narrow lanes, a school field and even across a cemetery footpath.

Sat Nav is only any good if you know where you are going. Just the same as a map, if you cant follow one, stay at home.

The TomTom probably added about 50 kilometers to my journey
Old 16-12-07, 05:17 PM   #24
magsk1

My better half (he who must be obeyed) has just bought a GARMIN ZUMO 550 & whilst i hav'nt had much chance to play with it, it sure looks like the "bees knees", hell, he even managed to get all the way to Bishop Auckland & back using it the other day! (its all of 8 miles away yer know!). The Zumo came with all UK, IRELAND,EAST EUROPE & WEST EUROPE already loaded along with thousands of points of interest, also in the deal he got a Bluetooth headset to fit into his helmet...ooo-er with which he can use his mobile phone via the Zumo to make & accept calls, voice activated.. All this for £410 delivered.
Old 16-12-07, 10:54 PM   #25
Laverda 3ce

Been using the Garmin Zumo 550 since July. No problems so far, and a great piece of kit to use. Toured Europe for 3wks in Aug. and only mistakes were made by me, The more you use it the easier it becomes. Really easy to use and secure mountings, also using a telferizer top yoke nut, ball mount. I do not use the bluetooth facility as bike fitted with intaride comm. system. Volume on both are turned up to max as I ride with earplugs in and no problems up to 70/80. The great thing with Garmin software is you can sit at home in comfort and preplan your routes, picking out any points of interest you want to take in on way. Routes can be downloaded from unit, and any deviations can be saved. I have a 1gb card installed and have more than enough storage for 3 wk trip. Have some routes planned for next year already and ferry booked for Spain in Aug. Unit is easily transfered to car and all mountings are supplied, with audio built in to screen mount. Have also had use of a Tom Tom in car, and found it equally easy to use. The choice is yours, the more you spend the better the mapping, but no sense paying for something you dont need.
Old 17-12-07, 09:17 AM   #26
gettin2dizzy

I see the same cars everyday on my commute to work all using their satnav....
They must be pretty simple creatures.