SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 11-03-14, 08:40 AM   #21
dkid

Default Car hit my bike over - whilst parked in a M/C only bay!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nobbylad View Post
Just a word of warning...check with Bennetts re: the hire bike. If for some reason you're unable to recover costs for the damage etc, you could be liable for the bike hire.

Rang Bennetts this morning. They said I won't be liable for the cost if the hire bike as they have assessed the circumstances surrounding the claim and feel the chances of recovering the costs from the third party are very good. As such they have given me the hire bike at risk to themselves in the event of failing to settle 100% in my favour.

I'm only liable for the £500 pound excess on the hire bikes insurance policy should I damage it or it gets stolen whilst I have it.

Worth finding out about though.
Old 11-03-14, 08:41 AM   #22
dkid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunn-y View Post
Absolutely gutted for you. Hopefully it goes in your favor and you can get it back to how it was.

Thanks
Old 11-03-14, 12:37 PM   #23
Grant66

Default Re: Car hit my bike over - whilst parked in a M/C only bay!

Sorry to hear about this. Gutted for you.
I'm a bit confused as to why there is a doubt as to the claim not being 100% in your favour. Stationary vehicle parked legally gets reversed into by car parking Illegally who then leaves the scene of the accident without leaving details or reporting. With independent witness and police report.
Unless I've missed something its as clear cut as they come.
Grant66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-14, 12:55 PM   #24
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

Curious to know what happened when he got back to the car as to whether he left scene or what
Old 11-03-14, 01:12 PM   #25
dkid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant66 View Post
Sorry to hear about this. Gutted for you.
I'm a bit confused as to why there is a doubt as to the claim not being 100% in your favour. Stationary vehicle parked legally gets reversed into by car parking Illegally who then leaves the scene of the accident without leaving details or reporting. With independent witness and police report.
Unless I've missed something its as clear cut as they come.

Cheers mate.

It seems like a straight forward case but until I hear the third party has admitted liability I won't be counting my chickens.
Old 11-03-14, 01:15 PM   #26
dkid

Quote:
Originally Posted by yorkie_chris View Post
Curious to know what happened when he got back to the car as to whether he left scene or what

I waited around for about half an hour but he was a no show. I could have been there all day long so I decided to get the bike home and call my insurance company to set the wheels in motion. I don't think the cops were planning to wait around for him either.
Old 11-03-14, 03:10 PM   #27
Red Herring
Mega Poster

So am I right in thinking neither you or the police actually spoke to the car driver at the scene? I sure hope the police haven't just given you the registered keepers details and left it at that....
Red Herring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-14, 03:13 PM   #28
dkid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Herring View Post
So am I right in thinking neither you or the police actually spoke to the car driver at the scene? I sure hope the police haven't just given you the registered keepers details and left it at that....

Well yes, that pretty much sums it up as far as I know. I left the scene after a little while and it appeared the police were getting ready to do the same. The driver still hadn't returned to the scene so unless the police stayed put (which I don't think they did) my guess would be the driver wasn't spoken to by anyone at the scene.

Have the police officers failed in their duties here? They led me to believe that as nobody was injured they wouldn't be getting involved and it was a matter for the insurance companies.

Last edited by dkid; 11-03-14 at 03:22 PM.
Old 11-03-14, 04:03 PM   #29
Red Herring
Mega Poster

It will be a matter for the insurance companies once you have sorted out who the driver was, and providing they have insurance. I wouldn't want to suggest the officers have done anything wrong without knowing a bit more about what information they have and what they are doing, but if any of mine simply gave you the keeper details without any other enquiries I'd be pretty disappointed with them.... The very least they should be doing is visiting them, checking they still actually own the vehicle, obtaining an account of what happened and an explanation as to why they weren't present at the scene to exchange details. If they haven't done that it's going to get awfully complicated if you or your insurance company don't hear back from him, or he denies responsibility.
Red Herring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-14, 04:05 PM   #30
dkid

The officers ascertained that the car had insurance and gave me an insurer and policy number. They stopped short of giving me his name and address etc for obvious reasons. To my knowledge that was it.