SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 18-06-12, 10:13 PM   #21
Specialone

Default Re: Do you ride with fear?

Im not ashamed to say, bikes still scare the crap out of me at times, its healthy for me actually, stops me twisting that throttle more tbh.

I have a heart in mouth moment on virtually every ride (not because im being dangerous) and that calms me down to normal levels again.

When i was young, i was always the first to try a new ramp we'd built or a new zip wire etc, i just didnt ever think of what if's etc, im the opposite now, ive got too much to lose if i get injured, im self employed so being out of action for a long period just isnt an option.

Riding is enjoyable for me, i dont have to be scraping pegs at a million miles an hour to have fun.

Last edited by Specialone; 18-06-12 at 10:50 PM.
Old 18-06-12, 10:19 PM   #22
Jayneflakes
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by agy View Post
I'm not scared of dying. I would be far more scared of ending up in a wheel chair. I think I'd rather go full stop
I work in care in the community, looking after people who cannot look after them selves and I can honestly say that having seen it first hand, I would rather die that live like that. A good carer is a rare thing and neglect is so common as to not be shocking anymore.

Before I started riding motorcycles, I was a dedicated Mountain Biker, Climber and mountaineer. I have ridden and climbed in many places in the UK and Europe, injury and illness have put an end to that aspect of my life though and I know that in time this will happen with my biking too.

If I am honest this does not make me sad, I have done things that not many people do and I did them well. When I was climbing at my best I used to love the exhilaration of climbing solo with out protection, just me, my chalk bag and my boots. There is a route at Tremadog that I always wanted to go back and solo, five pitches of glorious and very exposed climbing, right from the first pitch.

So, do I get scared when I think about riding my bike? I would say that the answer is no. If I were to have an accident what would upset me most is damaging my bike. If I was left disabled, I would not want to be anymore of a burden on my partner, who is not a natural carer. I know that she would feel awful if she tried to care for me and ended up neglecting me, so would want to be humanely put to sleep like a beloved pet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlepeahead View Post
Jayne you're a Pussy Magnet
My bar swap and custom suspension

Buy my latest novel and help fund my addiction to strippers and Lego.

Last edited by Jayneflakes; 18-06-12 at 10:22 PM. Reason: spelling
Jayneflakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-12, 10:24 PM   #23
rictus01
Mega Poster

Interesting topic, now I'd have to ask a question in order to answer yours, define fear for me? do you mean debilitating, to freeze up or to be overwhelmed by something? because I suppose that's one way of looking at it, but if you mean to bring all your senses to pin point sharpness to hear the blood rush in your ears, to focus and shape your thoughts far better than would be normal....then, that's what I've always looked for, so yes if fear can bring me to that point, I welcome it, I've never been afraid, more enter a sharper state of mind.

for as long as I can remember I've always been like it, I did many things when I was younger that would be seen as "dangerous" but the rush was always the thing, free climbing, parahuting, scuba wreck diving, abseiling, all have a moment of danger, the first time the instructor tears off your mask at 30 meters, the first overhang you climb out on and realise you can't get back but have to go on, the step out the plane when you commit to the jump, that moment that split second, I'm more alive than any other time, I guess it depends how you're wired

Funnily enough I have a road, some know which I mean, it's my "am I still alive" road, after an accident or an enforced time off the road I build myself up to it and when ready I commit to it and sort of benchmark myself again.

As to your point of the body taking damage, I'm already there, I've ridden bikes for over 35 years, in that time I've had several bad accidents, but fortunately good kit has protected me mostly, although I haven't come through totally unscathed, a 32 ton truck cause me to become diabetic (traumatic shock), and being T boned by a car resulted in a serious knee injury which pains me everyday, although hard to believe I was once a proper marathon man, ran 3-400 miles a week and even represented the Army for a few years, so I know about the "body as a temple" thing, and to be honest I mourn the loss more than anything else, but and this is the main thing, my bike still allows me to get to that zone when I want even if it is to a slightly lesser extent, sure most of my riding is more sedate, but when the need arises I can sate it with the bike.

Cheers Mark.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, 'Wow! What a Ride!
rictus01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-12, 06:46 AM   #24
agy

I had another thought: if bikers weren't to filter in fast moving traffic do you think there would be a lot less accidents? Secondly, I am yet to see a motorbike that would actually ride at the speed limit... If we all sat patiently behind cars and not try and squeeze though every gap, would it be safer?
I don't know whether it's because I'm a female or because I'm a new rider or whether it's just my nature but I am very cautious. If in any doubt whatsoever, I stay behind. I don't care if people overtake me. If I get injured - I can't work.... I love biking more than anything but I believe I can have a great time riding whilst staying sensible. The only time I let rip is when I'm on a motorway and it's pretty clear. That's my time to enjoy the speed

Femaleacid mentioned something I was going to write a post on: people riding in t shirts... what in the name of god??? I'd rather be wiping sweat than wiping my body parts off the ground... There was a thread on another forum of injuries caused when people weren't wearing proper clothing. OMG they were gory! I can paste a link to the pics if anyone would like to see...
Old 19-06-12, 07:49 AM   #25
NTECUK
Mega Poster

Not filter at 70mph.
Are you mad. That is why i don't have a gold wing .
People who ride in T shirts are invincible,well so far ......
Old 19-06-12, 07:57 AM   #26
Elliott

No fear once I'm on the bike. The day I ride around in fear is the day I stop riding.
I've done the whole crashing thing and thankfully work out the reason for the crash each time.
Go big or go home.....
Old 19-06-12, 08:14 AM   #27
pookie

I have to say every time I buy a new bike and ride it for the first time I have fear , more like what have I done this is not like my old bike ( rides , drives like a barge, unwieldy, too fast , too heavy etc). Takes a little while to get over those nuances and gel. In some cases it took getting another bike to realise its not so bad after all.
I ride for fun and within my capabilities and well within the bikes. Familiarity and being comfortable on the bike helps a lot. I'm not worried about where the controls are, how effective the brakes are and what 0- 60s feels like.
Rather than worry about what you might not be able to do if something happens enjoy what you are currently doing. Stay safe and happy riding
Now - 2010 Triton blue sv650s -Back to the future
pookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-12, 08:21 AM   #28
SoulKiss
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sid Squid View Post
I'm not at all brave
Ha - this is patently untrue - I've seen the Burgervan, erm Burgman of doom - to paraphrase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess Leia
You came on that thing? You're braver than I thought.
And no it is not now named The Millenium Falcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sid Squid
It can happen to anyone, but the reality of the matter is that it does keep happening to the same people.
That would be me huh?

Seriously, I've had my share of offs, I even think I ave had some of some other peoples shares, but each one taught me something, and none of them scared me off of bikes, and if I had been a bit scared after the last one, using public transport would have gotten me over it VERY quickly

The scariest bit is not knowing what happend immediately before, during or after the last one, my body, thanks to a remodelled shoulder and broken ribs told me I had an accident, but my mind is saying "what accident".

Until I put a plausible explanation of events together that I was happy with I was a little unsettled.

█╬╬╬╬()i¯i▀▀▀▀▀█Ξ███████████████████████████████)
SoulKiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-12, 08:46 AM   #29
jambo
Mega Poster

Scared? No, I don't think I am. I don't like being scared, it isn't how I'm wired.

Concentrating hard on something, taking it seriously because it's important, because there are very serious consequences for doing it badly, that's more me I think.

To me fear implies the feeling interferes with what you're doing, in this case in all likelihood it would make it more likely for you to have an accident. Calm and aware is the key to good observation and planning. And this makes it more likely you will not end up in a bad situation without seeing it coming, and that when things do start developing into a situation that could go wrong you'll have the mental capacity to make good judgement calls.

Fear isn't healthy, but pretending that it could never happen to you, regardless of how you do it is cruising for a bruising.

Jambo
Old 19-06-12, 08:55 AM   #30
timwilky
Mega Poster

I have seriously crashed once about 30 years ago that hurt me enough to give up with bikes. Fortunately health problems put me back on two wheels 10 years ago.

What I learned from crashing badly was it hurts and had serious implications for my employment, family life etc. So yes I now ride with fear. I respect that fear, know my limitations, I ain't invincible, I am no riding god. Shit happens. I got a knackered shoulder after being hit from behind 6 days after I got back on two wheels. But I also know why I got back on two wheels, spending a month in hospital with blood pressure so high that 5 times they had to cancel the endoscopy they needed to find out why I was vomiting blood. No crash since that 30 odd years ago has put me in hospital for more than 2 days, my non biking lifestyle put me there 3 times probably 70 days in total.

Respect the fear, but don't let it control you.