SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 07-10-08, 05:07 PM   #21
phil24_7
Mega Poster

Default Re: Deaf Driver Sign

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs24_7 View Post
I don't think there is anything in the way that I drive that I could change to make a difference to a deaf driver.
She's probably right, she never drives fast enough to be a risk to anyone, if she was to crash into a pedestrian they'd probably just shake their head at her!!

I'm not here for a long time, I'm here for a good time!

Blue SV650 K3, GSX-R K5 front end, TL1000S clip-ons, lower fairings, seat cowl, gel seat, Pyramid undertray, R&G crash bungs, stainless steel bar ends, full titanium Akrapovic exhaust, Power Commander, clear rear light, flush mount front indys, mini rear indys, Autocom 300 duo intercom, Acumen cat 1 alarm and Micheline Pilot Power 2ct's.
phil24_7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-08, 05:25 PM   #22
Blue_SV650S

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuffy View Post
I'd just ignore it, same as the "baby on board" signs, is tht meant to make me coast past as not to wake baby? Never understood them.

However, "Pole dancer on board" usually makes me give a sideward glance when overtaking
+1

... and
Old 07-10-08, 06:30 PM   #23
Stu
Trinity
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woz View Post
There's an urban myth that an unconscious woman was cut from a very serious car crash by by the emergency services. When she woke up in hospital she asked where her baby was. The response was "what baby?" Now overprotective parents display them 'just in case'. Someone must have made a killing on that one.
Yeah but how many actually take them down when there's no baby on board

Maria, probably wouldn't treat the driver any differently, and probably it would upset me less than a baby on board sign. so if you want it keep it up.
Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-08, 06:43 PM   #24
clanger

I don't recall ever having seen such a sign myself...and unless there was a specific circumstance where I'd have to speak to the driver, I don't suppose it would change my perception of them at all.
Old 07-10-08, 10:50 PM   #25
Lozzo

I'd treat a deaf driver like I do every other road user, i.e deaf, blind and stupid.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not calling deaf people stupid, it's just that I regard everyone out on the road as a potential threat to my life, regardless of whether they have full use of all their senses or not. Displaying a badge in the window won't change the way I treat them, though I may be a little more likely to position myself better in the road to ensure they can see me, if I know they may not be able to fully appreciate the sound of an Akrapovic race can on a middleweight V-Twin.
Old 08-10-08, 07:26 AM   #26
cuffy

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuffy View Post
However, "Pole dancer on board" usually makes me give a sideward glance when overtaking
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue_SV650S View Post
+1

... and
Imagine the disappointment though when you see this...

Insted of this...

Old 08-10-08, 08:13 AM   #27
Baph

Quote:
Originally Posted by fizzwheel View Post
I'd treat them the same as every other car driver. I.e. I assume that they havent seen or heard me. Being deaf has no relfection on your ability to drive like a muppet.
+1

Having talked to you in the past Maria, and knowing how careful you are etc, TBH, if I were riding near London & saw the sign, about the only thing that would enter my head is "ooohhhh... I wonder if that's Maria.... must remember to post an eyeball..."

Other than that, you're just another road user to me. If I'd been sat behind your car for a while, maybe I'd deliberately not choose a close overtake (risk of on coming vehicles etc) - but that's mainly as a bike overtaking fast can shock anyone, not just deaf people. Though I think the sign would influence me to be a little more courteous.
Old 08-10-08, 09:36 AM   #28
joshmac

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil24_7 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs24_7 View Post
Never really thought about it TBH. I don't think there is anything in the way that I drive that I could change to make a differenc to a deaf driver.
She's probably right, she never drives fast enough to be a risk to anyone, if she was to crash into a pedestrian they'd probably just shake their head at her!!
Brave man
Now where did I leave the popcorn
Old 08-10-08, 11:50 AM   #29
mr.anderson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baph View Post
Though I think the sign would influence me to be a little more courteous.
I would do the same, but otherwise treat you as a driver like everyone else.
mr.anderson is offline   Reply With Quote