SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 09-07-07, 12:05 PM   #21
The Doctor

Default Re: Chicken Strips

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_lone_wolf View Post
tis true......blah blah
Are a you a exy pert on a everything?
Old 09-07-07, 12:13 PM   #22
markmoto

Front about 5mm of chickenrear no chicken strips pegs grind though so gota be carefull about leaning her over that far this is on a fazer 1000 03 with metzler z6s on
Old 09-07-07, 12:23 PM   #23
markmoto

heres the important bit copied from that link!!
Countersteering

Main article: Countersteering
In order to initiate a turn, a bike must momentarily steer in the opposite direction. This is often referred to as countersteering. This brief turn moves the wheels out from directly underneath the center of mass, and thus causes a lean in the desired direction. Where there is no external influence such as an opportune side wind to create the force necessary to lean the bike, countersteering happens in every turn.[11]
As the lean approaches the desired angle, the front wheel must be steered in the direction of the turn, depending on the forward speed, the turn radius, and the need to maintain the lean angle. Once in a turn, the radius can only be changed with an appropriate change in lean angle, and this can only be accomplished by additional countersteering out of the turn to increase lean and decrease radius, then into the turn to decrease lean and increase radius. To exit the turn, the bike must again countersteer and momentarily steer more into the turn to decrease the radius to increase inertial forces in order decrease the angle of lean

zzzzzzzzz just get out and ride it lol
Old 09-07-07, 01:43 PM   #24
jambo
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by e.d. View Post
What ever bike i ride and whatever tyres i run i always go right to the edge on the front and not on the back. It's just the way i ride, i tend not to lean the bike but drag it round corners using the front. If your tyre pressures are ok i wouldn't worry to much it's just your style of riding.
Full Marks!

On my Bandit I used more rear tyre than front, on the ZX6 it's the other way round. I think this more to do with my riding style than the different bike as I've changed plenty in the last few years!

As long as you're aware of it it's not a problem.

Jambo
Old 09-07-07, 06:29 PM   #25
the_lone_wolf
Captain Awesome
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Doctor View Post
Are a you a exy pert on a everything?
yes
(⌐■_■)
Deal with it...
the_lone_wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-07, 09:04 PM   #26
andyaikido

I always found on the sv that I wore the front to edge and the rear had a small strip. I put it down to tyre sizes and steering geometry. My CBR is the other way round.
Old 10-07-07, 11:08 PM   #27
I'm_a_Newbie

I've had a look at peoples tyres in the past to compare them to mine. I have Z6's front and rear. On the rear the curve of the tyre falls away sharply at the edge so you would have to be leant right over to have no chicken strip on a 160 Z6. Other tyres seem to have a pronouced lip between at the edge of the tread section and the sidewall with less of a curve. This is more noticable on wider section tyres. This means the bike does not have to be leaned over as far to have zero chicken strips.

It could be down to something as simple as this as well as counter steering playing it's part.

Out of interest is there anyone out there who has 160 rear Z6 with no chicken strips? If I am honest I have about 10mm. I have the bike much further over on the Z6's than the standard Dunlops.

Tim.
Old 12-07-07, 08:06 AM   #28
plowsie

Underdtand what your saying mate. Not running Z6s but had to laugh about your forum name Surely you regret it lol?
Old 12-07-07, 09:51 AM   #29
Biker Biggles
Mega Poster

I have fat healthy chicken strips on Z6s front ant rear.Much more so than on Avons,but I do ride like a pussycat these days.
Old 12-07-07, 06:30 PM   #30
I'm_a_Newbie

Smile Re: Chicken Strips

Quote:
Originally Posted by plowsie View Post
Underdtand what your saying mate. Not running Z6s but had to laugh about your forum name Surely you regret it lol?
Yeah, I should have thought a bit longer term when i thought of that name. I will have to contact the site administrators about getting changed.

Perhaps I should have Think_Again

Tim