SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

The Border Patrol Covering North Wales, Shropshire, Staffs, Merseyside and Cheshire for SV650.org members, past, present and future

Old 21-01-09, 09:10 PM   #21
custard

Default Re: Good dog trainer needed

now thats a tricky one cos hes off the lead...

bungie cord?
Old 21-01-09, 09:12 PM   #22
Shellywoozle
Mega Poster

I did use a 60ft lead before, so he could still run but not excape from my control.

Maybe time for big lead to come out again, start again from there
Black K4 Pointy named Zuky, OEM belly pan, OEM hugger, OEM cowl, R&G bungs, akrapovic system, tinted double bubble Fabbri screen, tail tidy, scottoiler, alarm, datatagged, lowered seat for short ass rider named Shell.

RIP PC David Rathband sad day 29/2/2012
Shellywoozle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-09, 09:36 PM   #23
stewie

Sounds like you are going through it a bit, you obviously care so maybe its worth getting a few sessions with a trainer, have you thought about contacting the rspca, they may have people in your area who my be able to help, sorry if its a bit vague but Ive been lucky in having a dog for the last nearly 16 yrs who will do anything for a piece of chocolate, bit like me really, you,ll be ok Shell
Old 21-01-09, 10:55 PM   #24
kwak zzr

Samson will always rule ur house hun, ur his mum and ur soft a sh#t with him its not a bad thing, u love him to bits but u gotta show him who's boss! he like an excited 5year old and he needs putting in his place.
Old 22-01-09, 12:45 AM   #25
Luckypants
Mega Poster

Shelly mate, everyone is basically saying the same thing, he needs you to be the boss / pack leader / in charge - whatever term you use and they are right. I'm not saying be nasty to him, but be the leader in your house.

Now the nasty bit, Sampson is not the problem, it's his handler. Sampson is just behaving like a dog. You need to learn to be the leader in your house and whenever / wherever you have Sampson with you.

Sampson is a good lad, he has proved that by behaving for a while. He was great on Boxing Day, which shows with leadership he will behave.

PM / MSN me.
Snow Plough Appreciation Society - Member #3

Luckypants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-09, 10:52 AM   #26
Baph

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckypants View Post
Sampson is a good lad, he has proved that by behaving for a while. He was great on Boxing Day, which shows with leadership he will behave.
Random thought time: Sam's behaviour whilst off the lead in a field may improve if he spends a bit of time around other well mannered (and patient) dogs.

Not knowing you well enough Shell, it sounds like Mike's could be a good opportunity to let Sam get the whole 'running & sniffing' thing out of his system?

Obviously that's for you two to discuss, but figured I'd throw the idea out - you might know someone else with suitable dogs etc.
Old 22-01-09, 11:07 AM   #27
markmoto

Yep he needs pack therapy
Old 22-01-09, 11:13 AM   #28
Mr Speirs
Mega Poster

Hey Shelly. I know how you feel. We have a Springer and whilst she is old and calm now she used to be a right handful!!!

As people have said you need to be in charge. Do you let him go first? One really good tip I learnt was always going first. If you open a door don't let Samson go through first make sure you are first.
And Badger had a really good way of making his dog know he was in charge by pretending to eat out of his dog bowl before giving the dog its food.

One thing I also learnt was also that no matter how hard you want it to happen unless you get professional training you will never be 100% in control of a Springer as they are nutters.
Smokey Black Burnty 02 - Racetech Smoulderlators + .90kg BBQ Springs, zx10r shockingly toasted, Conti Road Attacks heat up very nicely, R&G Crash Bungs but what f**king use are they, No Colour Matched Hugger, Flame Extenda, Beowulf Titainium Oval Flame Thrower.
Mr Speirs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-09, 12:23 PM   #29
timwilky
Mega Poster

Packs are evolving things and dogs do like to push their luck hoping to be the dominant one. Occasionally they need to be reminded of who the boss is.

Of course they are fun and we tend to give into their naughty ways. But set your boundaries and let them know when they have been unacceptable. It is no good giving them the rollicking of their life and then giving in with cuddle/treats etc.

I find with my mutt that if I constantly praise him as he is walking alongside me, he stays with me. When he does have his mad 5 minutes, I don't stand there waiting for him, I carry on on our usual route and it is up to him to find me. If I do have to shout for him it is not shouts of encouragement, but in a tone that lets him know I not not best pleased.

Yes he is like a friend and I would never hurt him. But it does him no harm to think that I just might. When he crawls over towards me cowering and tail between his legs he knows he is in trouble and gives me the big puppy dog eyes demanding forgiveness.
Old 22-01-09, 12:28 PM   #30
kwak zzr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Speirs View Post
you will never be 100% in control of a Springer as they are nutters.
you got that right Mr Speirs.