SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 15-01-08, 06:54 PM   #21
Biker Biggles
Mega Poster

Default Re: Wet weather braking.

Theres braking theory and theres what works.It makes sense to use the rear brake early as until the weight transfers to the front there should be grip on the rear that is otherwise wasted.However------
Niall Mcenzie said you stop quicker in the real world by concentrating on maximising front brake application and forgeting the rear altogether.
Niall was a bit handy in his day and I for one dont feel qualified to contradict him.
Old 15-01-08, 07:01 PM   #22
Lozzo

That's the thing, I almost never touch the rear brake in the dry, except in emergency situations when I throw all the anchors out and set the engines to full astern. Obviously when turning the bike round tight I'll maybe drag the rear slightly to help pull the bike round. In the wet I use the rear to steady the bike and to level the bike out, rather than using it as a method of slowing the bike down.

I need to re-evealuate how I ride, and concentrate on braking a bit more.
Old 15-01-08, 07:04 PM   #23
dizzyblonde
Da Cake Boss
Mega Poster

engine braking is the key for me. Slow down in good time, I still very rarely use the rear brake. Front brake is gently applied after a smooth slow down.---on an Sv. If you have to grab it, you were riding too fast in the first place, if persay you were heading for a set of red lights or junction. However in an emergency....for instance Mr magoo that didn't see yoooo- apply front brake asap.

just my theory and its not let me down, I could go on and on about what your instructor taught you, but in the real world...........

Hovis 13.8.75-3.10.09 Reeder 20.7.88-21.3.12
dizzyblonde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-08, 07:05 PM   #24
stewie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biker Biggles View Post
Theres braking theory and theres what works.It makes sense to use the rear brake early as until the weight transfers to the front there should be grip on the rear that is otherwise wasted.However------
Niall Mcenzie said you stop quicker in the real world by concentrating on maximising front brake application and forgeting the rear altogether.
Niall was a bit handy in his day and I for one dont feel qualified to contradict him.
totally agree with you, I just feel happier getting on the back brakes first cos I feel I can control things more, maybe its just me but I 'feather' the back brake more than the front I think
Old 15-01-08, 07:19 PM   #25
markmoto

Progressive front braking is the way to go wet or dry using your rear brake to slow down in the wet is asking for trouble there is very little grip there in the dry never mind in the wet unless your two up. For people who have just passed there test id advise them to leave the back brake alone in the wet or end up on your ear you have been warned. The idea of progressive braking is to transfer weight onto the front tyre which squishes it into the road giving you more grip, obviously grip is dependant on alot of variables tyre temp and quality, road surface weather conditions etc and this takes along time to learn and becomes more of an instinct than anything else.
Congrats on passing your test just take it easy till you get more confident dont fear the rain just learn to be silky smooth with the controls treat her like a lady.
Old 15-01-08, 07:26 PM   #26
Lozzo

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzyblonde View Post

just my theory and its not let me down, I could go on and on about what your instructor taught you, but in the real world...........
What's an instructor? I was taught by a Mr Macadam, he said I should only ever allow my tyres to touch him, as time went on and I got more experienced he extended the invite to include my knees on certain corners.
Old 15-01-08, 07:27 PM   #27
Lozzo

Quote:
Originally Posted by mototech View Post
treat her like a lady.
<Swiss Tony mode>

Riding a motorcycle is like making love to a beautiful woman....
Old 15-01-08, 07:40 PM   #28
ogden
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lozzo View Post
<Swiss Tony mode>

Riding a motorcycle is like making love to a beautiful woman....
...first you get her nicely warmed up and then then you get your leg over and thrash her mercilessly, never missing a chance to have a go on your best mate's?
S1000XR | 990SMT | YZF-R6 #7
ogden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-08, 07:53 PM   #29
markmoto

Lol new that would open a can of worms
Old 15-01-08, 08:35 PM   #30
Bear

Quote:
The reasoning is that it pulls the back of the bike down so there's not as much weight transfer to the front wheel when you hit the front brakes hard, which in turn will lessen the likelihood of the front locking up.
Sorry, but that doesn't actually follow. When you hit the rear brake, the whole bike squats, it doesn't make the front rise, it's acceleration that does that. Also, what you want is gradual, then increasing pressure to the front so the weight DOES transfer onto it before you apply full braking force. What you're saying will work to an extent: applying the rear brake will make the whole bike squat therefore transferring weight to the front to make the front brake work better when you do apply it. This does not mean you don't have to be progressive with the front at the same time, as you can still lock up the front and down you go.

Quote:
They reckon that rear brakes being as bad as they normally are, you won't lock it up if you apply the fronts directly afterwards.
Who are this "they" and where can I find them to give them a slap? Even with the front brake applied it is still possible to lock the rear, but rear wheel slides are more controllable, therefore if you HAVE to slide one end it's better if it's the rear. What's best of all is not to slide either of course...

Quote:
Progressive front braking is the way to go wet or dry
Totally agree with you on this point

Quote:
using your rear brake to slow down in the wet is asking for trouble there is very little grip there in the dry never mind in the wet unless your two up. For people who have just passed there test id advise them to leave the back brake alone in the wet or end up on your ear you have been warned.
But totally disagree with you on this one! I'm not saying stand up putting all your weight on the back brake, progressive is once again the way, but since you have 2 brakes why not use them? It may only slow you an extra 5%, but that may be the 5% that stops you hitting what's in front.

I'm not saying for a moment that either of you are bad riders, god knows I've crashed more than most in the last year, but I think this may be a case of people being taught to fear one brake or the other, which is utter crap. Your brakes are your friends! (Unless you grab a handful mid corner 'cos you were following Ibishu's bum a little too closely!)

Personally, what works for me is progressively applying the front, then a moment later progressively applying the rear. This is how I ride because I find it is the fastest, most controlled type of braking I can do. I have done braking tests using the front only, rear only and then both and there is a serious difference! I'm not saying that anyone else should ride the way I do because it may not be right for you, but I suggest trying braking tests to find out for yourself (deserted roads people!)

I hope no-one takes offense at anything I've written here, I don't want it to seem like I'm personally attacking Lozzo or Mototech, and if you feel I have then I apologise. I just disagree with the points you have made!

Last edited by Bear; 15-01-08 at 08:36 PM. Reason: I can't do quotes properly as I am a maroon!