SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 28-08-08, 09:46 PM   #21
mr_s81

Default Re: Chain and sprokets

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtydog View Post
i normally get a chain and sprocket kit from wemoto costs about ?90 or so depending on what chain you get. i normally get izumi chain as it comes with a soft rivet link and a spring link, i fit it with the spring link and ride to my normal bike shop and get them to fit the soft link they charge me a fiver or there abouts
Sorry to bring up an old thread, but I've also bought the izumi kit from wemoto with the spring link. Sorry again if this is a stupid question, but is the spring link a short term fix until the soft rivet link is done, or can the chain function safely with the spring link?

I've searched for the answer to this but couldn't find anything!

Great forum by the way - so much activity each day!

Some advice would be much appreciated
Old 28-08-08, 10:05 PM   #22
glang

I used the spring link (cant remember the make but it was cheap) and it lasted 4 or 5000 miles before coming off. I was very lucky as nothing got trapped in the back wheel and I managed to recover the chain from the dual carriageway in the middle of nowhere. Then I found the soft link that I hadnt used under the bike seat and with stones from the roadside bashed it into place. Hell of a job but it got me to a bike shop where they did what I should have done originally!
glang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-08, 10:10 PM   #23
mr_s81

Quote:
Originally Posted by glang View Post
I used the spring link (cant remember the make but it was cheap) and it lasted 4 or 5000 miles before coming off. I was very lucky as nothing got trapped in the back wheel and I managed to recover the chain from the dual carriageway in the middle of nowhere. Then I found the soft link that I hadnt used under the bike seat and with stones from the roadside bashed it into place. Hell of a job but it got me to a bike shop where they did what I should have done originally!
Sounds like quite an adventure! So I guess the moral of the story is get it riveted properly in the first place instead of trying to make do with the spring clip then?

Pity because I don't have a rivetting tool, but I can certainly make an effort to see if any of the local garages has, if it stops the chain from coming off at some point!

Cheers for that!
Old 28-08-08, 10:33 PM   #24
ThEGr33k

http://www.stealthproducts.co.uk/products/sprocket.php

There are good (So far 2000 miles on it and its all good). You can also order a chain riveter with the chain if you need one.
Old 28-08-08, 10:34 PM   #25
ThEGr33k

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtydog View Post
Indeed, on my first SV the chain rarely needed adjusting which i put down to the scottoiler, I wa sdoing about 120 miles a week and adjusted the chain maybe once a month/6 weeks
Mine was the same. The chain has also done over 25K miles.
Old 28-08-08, 10:36 PM   #26
dizzyblonde
Da Cake Boss
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThEGr33k View Post
http://www.stealthproducts.co.uk/products/sprocket.php

There are good (So far 2000 miles on it and its all good). You can also order a chain riveter with the chain if you need one.

dunno about their chains but if you noticed my wavey discs on my bike on Wednesday....they came from there..mmmmm nice

Hovis 13.8.75-3.10.09 Reeder 20.7.88-21.3.12
dizzyblonde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-08, 11:35 PM   #27
ThEGr33k

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzyblonde View Post
dunno about their chains but if you noticed my wavey discs on my bike on Wednesday....they came from there..mmmmm nice
I didnt I didnt get much of a chance to look around good tbh. My bad. How are they?

I have a chain from them, its pretty good so far. You can tell it is a little cheaper but as long as it does 12K miles it'll be well worth the gamble. No adjustment needed as yet after 2K miles on it.
Old 29-08-08, 12:19 AM   #28
carsounds_dan

ooo order off of wemoto...
when i had the zxr400 i ordered 2 valve shims for £6 delivered and got a reg/rec worth about £60 instead... handy as mine blew the day before it arrived!
Old 29-08-08, 07:52 AM   #29
dirtydog
Knob faced knobster
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_s81 View Post
Sorry to bring up an old thread, but I've also bought the izumi kit from wemoto with the spring link. Sorry again if this is a stupid question, but is the spring link a short term fix until the soft rivet link is done, or can the chain function safely with the spring link?

The spring clip is a short term fix only. I normally use the spring clip to get me to my local bike place and pay them a fiver to rivet the chain.
Old 29-08-08, 08:13 AM   #30
mr_s81

Thanks for all the responses guys! I'll look into any local bike mechanics who would have a chain riveter and use the spring clip as a short term solution.