SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 25-10-06, 12:50 PM   #21
thor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue_SV650S
That's coz they were Pilot Race 2's and they are carp ... even with warmers they are still a lottery!!
Agreed. Did you see the tyres bit in Bike? They went on about them then. Thinking of emailing in to tell them NO!!!
Old 25-10-06, 01:09 PM   #22
Blue_SV650S

Quote:
Originally Posted by thor
Agreed. Did you see the tyres bit in Bike? They went on about them then. Thinking of emailing in to tell them NO!!!
Nope haven't seen it ... were they raving about how good they were then??

I have to admit, when up to their narrow operating temperature band, they do offer amazing grip!! But outside that they are lethal (in my opinion).

They never gave that all important 'feel' either ... they are either sticking like glue or you are on your behind!! That is not a good tyre to me I am afraid!!
Old 25-10-06, 02:09 PM   #23
stuartyboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by weazelz
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuartyboy
Are there any trackdays in winter?
plenty:

http://www.focusedevents.com/uk_track_days.asp
Cheers!

You guys dan sarf are spoiled for choice. We've got Knockhill and that seems to be it. Unless anyone knows different?
Old 25-10-06, 02:23 PM   #24
lukemillar
Mega Poster

Also look at:

http://www.hottrax-online.com/index....bd940b1ea9d685

Hottrax days quote available places in each group so you realy can leave it till the last possible minute. Got an email saying Mallory on 3rd Dec (Sunday) is only 55 pounds - bargain!
#24 - Honda VFR400R NC30
lukemillar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-06, 02:24 PM   #25
rob13

Ive not done a trackday yet but im tempted by it. Ive got Conti RAs on my bike. Im quite sure these would be up the job but would a trackday eat the tyres up? (Costing me £140 in the process) As a beginner i would also be worried about spilling my bike. Are the chances of coming off greater on one of these (I would imagine that i'd push myself harder on a track than on the road)
Old 25-10-06, 02:33 PM   #26
Tim in Belgium

I got about 6500 miles out of my Pirelli Diablo Strada, including four track days, motorways, normal "pleasure"riding and a 1500 mile tour round the alps on some rough surfaces. The front is still going strrong. So yes, you may decrease your tyre life but hopefully not dramatically so.
Old 25-10-06, 02:54 PM   #27
Blue_SV650S

Quote:
Originally Posted by robchester
Ive not done a trackday yet but im tempted by it. Ive got Conti RAs on my bike. Im quite sure these would be up the job but would a trackday eat the tyres up? (Costing me £140 in the process) As a beginner i would also be worried about spilling my bike. Are the chances of coming off greater on one of these (I would imagine that i'd push myself harder on a track than on the road)
Its the bits you won't be using on the road that you use on the track anyway!!! (even as a first timer) ... so tyre wear is not an issue.
Old 25-10-06, 03:06 PM   #28
weazelz

Quote:
Originally Posted by robchester
I've had a pair of bt-14's on my bike for most of the summer - probably 8-10 trackdays - & they're quite worn on one side (the right - all those clockwise tracks). I reckon they'd do the same again if I turned them. they do seem to have worn a bit more as the summer has gone one, & I've got quicker though

if you're really, really fast & taking the tyres right to the edge of their grip then sure, you'd eat them up. were you planning to do that first time out?
Old 25-10-06, 03:50 PM   #29
jambo
Mega Poster

A lot of good advice was given in the Lydden thread in the SELKENT section as many people were having their 1st track day:
Lydden