SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 21-01-13, 11:07 PM   #21
Nobbylad
Mega Poster

I don't understand the issue to be honest. To me, the point of the instruction is to learn new skills and advance your ability. Whether or not you become certified or pass on anyway is irrelevant except for being able to prove you're at the requisite standard. If you (and others) believe you're not braking in corners then what's the big deal? I'm sure you've learned lots of other useful stuff.

Good luck with whatever you do.
Nobbylad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-13, 11:40 PM   #22
21QUEST
Mega Poster

Default Re: ROSPA vs IAM?

Having read between the lines, I'd say, the OP is quite right in having his opinion of said organisation.

It's one thing to accept valid critism(constructive) so I don't blame him for refusing to take onboard an untrue critism[1]

It seems to me, he's gone about the whole isssue (whether seen as minor or not), in quite the correct manner...that's the whole point of said organistion having a dedicated complaint procedure, isn't it?

I'd listen to anyone all day when it comes to riding, as there always a chance of picking up somethign useful.
But I'm sure as 'ell ain't going to waste my time riding around with some eejit who apparently 'sees things that ain't there' .....

So yes, I most probably would not have wasted any more of my time complaining to the main organisation, once I saw the way that particular group was dealing with a 'minor issue' ....that's just a personal thing.
For a rider like me(slow as I might be), I'm confident enough in my riding to know, I'd survive without the need to massage the ego of some lumps.

There are enough so called 'Advance Riders' that can't ride for **** anyway. I think I might do the IAM test just for giggles, as it can't really be that much a challenge to any half decent rider anyway.

What you or I would do is quite irrelevant. The guy made a call on an untrue critism,, the group made a mess of a 'minor event' and the main organisation made an even bigger mess...atleast in his view.

acting_strange, safe riding and hopefully you find something that suits. You obviously haven't done too badly, seeing as you've survived for 38 years

[1] can't see why the OP would say that, if it were not the case.
Blue, mate, having read a lot of your stuff I'd say 'in your head' is unknown territory for most of us
21QUEST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-13, 08:15 AM   #23
Fallout
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by 21QUEST View Post
But I'm sure as 'ell ain't going to waste my time riding around with some eejit who apparently 'sees things that ain't there' .....
That's the bit I don't get. Either he wasn't braking on corners and this instructor is simply making it up because he's a actually a lunatic, or (and more likely in my opinion) he did brake on a few corners and the instructor perhaps exaggerated it because he's a drama queen. Ya know, the old "You were braking on corners all the time!" drama queen bull**** when in fact it was only 5% of corners. Or possibly he had his toe over the rear brake and was accidentally applying some.

In any case the OP is doing something wrong and should probably listen to the advice.
Fallout Breakbeat (My Music)
Fallout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-13, 10:14 AM   #24
Spank86

Thats whats confusing me too, It's not like its difficult to tell whether a brake light is on or not.

I would imagine the complaints procedure went something like ringing up the observer to ask him what he saw and being told "brake lights mid corner", at whihc point the IAM have to make a decision between random complainant with no record and presumably longstanding observer with a known record (whatever that record may be). In the absence of any other information I'd probably assume you were wrong in your assessment of your riding as oppose to the Observer hallucinating brake lights.

Unless of course the complaint isn't a one off and the observer has had them before.
Old 22-01-13, 10:31 AM   #25
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

And what did you expect the result of the complaint to be? A bezz round cadwell on a BSB bike and a soapy session with some grid girls?
Old 22-01-13, 11:00 AM   #26
Dicky Ticker

How sensitive are your brake light switches? I know mine are extremely sensitive and the slightest pressure on the foot brake one brings the brake light on.Even "Covering" my foot brake activates my brake light although I am not applying any pressure to the actual brake.-------------Just a thought as to why your observer made the criticism but I do think you are being a tad OTT over the whole issue.
I have no association with either ROSPA or IAM,just trying to be constuctive.
Old 22-01-13, 11:39 AM   #27
NTECUK
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by yorkie_chris View Post
And what did you expect the result of the complaint to be? A bezz round cadwell on a BSB bike and a soapy session with some grid girls?
Sorry I nealy P my self
Old 22-01-13, 12:19 PM   #28
Lozzo

A while ago I worked for a made to measure leathers firm, when I started I asked my boss what group of customers were more likely to bring in their leathers for crash repairs - racers or road riders? He said racers first, with IAM members/associates/observers second and all the other road riders a long way behind them.

The IAM - the best crashing organisation on British roads.

You've been riding 38 years and aren't dead - you obviously know what to do and what not to do so why bother having someone else's bad habits and misguided opinions foisted upon you?
Old 22-01-13, 12:43 PM   #29
Specialone

My two Penneth...

As lozzo said, 38 years of riding means you know what you're doing and how to stay alive, more than some unfortunate souls.

This isn't the first story ive heard of this type of things, a small few of these advanced types seem to have a holier than you attitude and an arrogance.
That said I've met a few members that have been the exact opposite so as in all walks of life, some good some bad.

So fecking what your brake light flashed mid corner anyway? I know I'm not exactly what you'd call a fast rider, far from it but I sometimes trail or comfort brake with my rear, not actually doing much, if any, slowing down but it hasn't ever (so far) caused an issue or slide or whatever.

IAM seemed obsessed with not braking for corners, if I'm doing a million miles an hour approaching a bend and I don't think I'll make it, I'll brake beforehand, do i care what people behind might be thinking? Do I Bolox.

Finally, take up off roading and dirt biking instead, it's a good leveller and safer, like to see some of those advanced types on the lanes

Last edited by Specialone; 22-01-13 at 12:45 PM.
Old 22-01-13, 12:53 PM   #30
NTECUK
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by specialone View Post
My two Penneth...

So fecking what your brake light flashed mid corner I sometimes trail brake

IAM seemed obsessed with not braking for corners,
Trail Braking is a Valied style and theres lots on it and how you can corner better /faster using it