SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

The Border Patrol Covering North Wales, Shropshire, Staffs, Merseyside and Cheshire for SV650.org members, past, present and future

Old 30-01-09, 10:17 AM   #21
Dicky Ticker

Default Re: Well, ive had better days!

Learningcurve,Am I correct in thinking you are a driving instructor but asking where and where you can't stop a car. Surely this is part of the tutorial for the people you are teaching to drive.Unless the road is a designated clearway.be it dual or single,being a clearway defines whether you can or cant stop-------------------
I am presuming you know this stretch of road and acquainted with the signage by your description of the incident scene.
No reflection on your wifes misfortune and I hope she gets well soon
Old 30-01-09, 10:40 AM   #22
the_lone_wolf
Captain Awesome
Mega Poster

Quoth Wikipedia:
Quote:
"dangerous" [in the context of dangerous driving] refers to danger either of injury to any person or of serious damage to property; and in determining what would be expected of, or obvious to, a competent and careful driver in a particular case, regard shall be had not only to the circumstances of which he could be expected to be aware but also to any circumstances shown to have been within the knowledge of the accused
I'm not a qualified legal whatever but to me, stopping in the outside lane of a 70mph multi-lane road, because you missed your junction, meets the qualifications for a dangerous driving charge

As for the blame being partitioned to your wife, there's a big difference between having the car in front brake and gradually (if quickly) come to a stop, and having the car in front swerve out of the way to reveal a stationary object in the carriageway ahead, personally I'd be pushing for a 100% fault claim from the other party, as there was nothing that could be reasonably expected of your wife that she could have done to prevent the accident
(⌐■_■)
Deal with it...
the_lone_wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-09, 10:44 AM   #23
Luckypants
Mega Poster

Les, I'm glad that your missus is relatively ok after such a big impact. Like Baph says, that Aston Hill / St. Davids junction is nasty.

If it is any help for you, the area is covered by CCTV so the incident may have been captured on video. Take a look here for a look at a potential view of the incident. You will need to make sure the police get the CCTV footage, if available.
Snow Plough Appreciation Society - Member #3

Luckypants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-09, 10:45 AM   #24
Dave20046
Mega Poster

You're supposed to be able to stop in an emergency full stop, they make it that way so they can settle incidents like this without massive investigations.
Old 30-01-09, 11:24 AM   #25
DaveP

your wife was driving forwards on a straight road.... Someone else has caused impeded her way by crossing from another lane into her path. This is no different from the old lady that pulled from a side street into my path last week. Her insurance company admitted liability on her behalf.

Dave
Old 30-01-09, 11:28 AM   #26
Dave20046
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveP View Post
your wife was driving forwards on a straight road.... Someone else has caused impeded her way by crossing from another lane into her path. This is no different from the old lady that pulled from a side street into my path last week. Her insurance company admitted liability on her behalf.

Dave
'Failed to stop or avoid a collision with a stationary vehicle' I went into the back of someone who stopped dead on a 50 on my bike (much more fun) and I was told I didn't have a chance by everyone I spoke to. Infact I knew that, that's why taxi drivers reverse into cars behind to claim.
Old 30-01-09, 11:34 AM   #27
the_lone_wolf
Captain Awesome
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave20046 View Post
'Failed to stop or avoid a collision with a stationary vehicle' I went into the back of someone who stopped dead on a 50 on my bike (much more fun) and I was told I didn't have a chance by everyone I spoke to. Infact I knew that, that's why taxi drivers reverse into cars behind to claim.
the speed limit means very little as opposed to the type of road - where was this 50 limit? country road single carriageway etc etc? if so then you could reasonably expect a car to need to stop or brake suddenly for a junction

on a dual carriageway it would be unreasonable to expect other drivers to be expecting you to stop dead in the outside lane...
(⌐■_■)
Deal with it...
the_lone_wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-09, 11:48 AM   #28
Dave20046
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_lone_wolf View Post
the speed limit means very little as opposed to the type of road - where was this 50 limit? country road single carriageway etc etc? if so then you could reasonably expect a car to need to stop or brake suddenly for a junction

on a dual carriageway it would be unreasonable to expect other drivers to be expecting you to stop dead in the outside lane...
I suppose but as I understood it they don't budge on the whole you hit a vehicle from behind you're to blame thing. I know someone who was in a very similar scenario, the car that actually caused the pile up drove on oblivious but there was a 7 car pileup and the guy at the front broke his spine (500k pay out I think) the very last car to hit's insurers copped for all of it.
Old 30-01-09, 11:49 AM   #29
Speedy Claire

Awful thing to happen and i`m glad your wife isn`t badly hurt. Is a really nasty junction that one! Get well soon Mrs Learning Curve
Old 30-01-09, 11:52 AM   #30
Stu
Trinity
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Learningcurve View Post
A car cut in front of sarah from there, still indicating left. Then he saw the stopped car and dived to the outside lane. Thats when sarah saw the stopped car,.
Ahh This is a much better description of the accident.
So nobody stopped in the outside lane at all, just 2 cars stopped in the inside lane (one who missed her junction & ended up getting hit. & your wife)

just thought I would add for clarity as lot of people talking about stopping in the outside.
Stu is offline   Reply With Quote