SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 03-01-05, 10:50 AM   #21
jonboy

Default Re: Air supply :: Tank spacers :: Other methods

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewcharnley
The difference between using tank spacers on a correctly setup airfilter and jets is significant. I took my make shift ones out today and went from 130mph to 90mph! Mid-range is bad too.
Could this not be carb-icing caused by the extra cold airflow coming in the newly made gap directly under the tank? When I get carb-icing bad, it reduces the top speed to around 90mph too.

Old 03-01-05, 12:24 PM   #22
snoopy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonboy
Quote:
The difference between using tank spacers on a correctly setup airfilter and jets is significant. I took my make shift ones out today and went from 130mph to 90mph! Mid-range is bad too.
Could this not be carb-icing caused by the extra cold airflow coming in the newly made gap directly under the tank? When I get carb-icing bad, it reduces the top speed to around 90mph too.

It was pretty nice the day I rode it and I've had carb icing before so I know what effect it has. This was richness.

I'm going to stick with spacers for now. Anyone who's after something to do the job, two door stops in black fit perfectly and look great.
Old 03-01-05, 01:06 PM   #23
Mike1234

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonboy
Quote:

It was pretty nice the day I rode it and I've had carb icing before so I know what effect it has. This was richness.

I'm going to stick with spacers for now. Anyone who's after something to do the job, two door stops in black fit perfectly and look great.
Surely it just means that the jetting set up you had was now too rich for the sudden drop in air coming through the system. Doesn't necessarily mean you were getting more power though!
Old 03-01-05, 02:06 PM   #24
chewy22

.[/quote]

I'm going to stick with spacers for now. Anyone who's after something to do the job, two door stops in black fit perfectly and look great.[/quote]

I commend you or using your head to find a cheap alternative like the doorstops.
I to looked at using rubber but I found that the tank mover around far to much for my liking even with a steel sleev fitted inside and was concerned that the two bolts holding them will be fatigued and snap in time.
That’s why I had some 16mm high aluminium dowels machined plus I add the 2 stainless steel flanged button head bolts in as well.

www.chewys-stuff.co.uk/
Old 03-01-05, 02:25 PM   #25
northwind
Mega Poster

Yup, I just used a couple of nuts until I saw Chewy's ones, and I found a lot of movement too. Though I do like the idea of doorstops, good lateral thinking there
But we're oh so easily swayed"
northwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-05, 03:20 PM   #26
BURNER

I used some alloy spacers cut down from a set of GSXR engine mounting bolts, only about 12mm high each but never noticed any improvement really.
Old 03-01-05, 04:51 PM   #27
snoopy

The door stops have no moment or tank wobble but might be too high at 3cm's?

How high are your machined bits chewy22?, and where did you get the height from?
Old 03-01-05, 04:53 PM   #28
snoopy

Quote:
Originally Posted by burner
I used some alloy spacers cut down from a set of GSXR engine mounting bolts, only about 12mm high each but never noticed any improvement really.
I was using 18mm stacked form for testing and the difference was massive out on the road. What jets are you using? Me and Northy noticed significant difference.
Old 03-01-05, 06:16 PM   #29
northwind
Mega Poster

Aye, but I got the difference because I needed it to clear the Rene filter... I might get 2 air/fuel runs done, with and without, when the bike goes up for proper dynoing in a couple of weeks...
But we're oh so easily swayed"
northwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-05, 01:34 PM   #30
snoopy

Quote:
Originally Posted by northwind
Aye, but I got the difference because I needed it to clear the Rene filter... I might get 2 air/fuel runs done, with and without, when the bike goes up for proper dynoing in a couple of weeks...
what do you mean but?, the rene filter is BMC filter is it not?

The 165 jets for the BMC Race RS may still be overkill, I'll need a dyno to prove that fact.